PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 07-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Violin and Guitar

My son asked me if he could take Violin lessons. I said yes (of course) as when a 9 year old asks such a question it should be answered positively.

I purchased him a Violin after 3 months as his interest was genuine and the pride of ownership give him a little more incentive. I also purchased a Violin for myself as I play a little guitar and bass and figured,"what the heck". My son and I practice often together.

I have been with my wife for almost 27 years. She plays guitar but never picks it up, as her family though she wasted her education getting a music major (she now has a degree in Financial Management).

The point to all this is that on Sunday, for the first time in our lives my wife and I played music together. We played Bach's Minuet. It was out of the blue and sounded pretty good. She accompanied me with her classical guitar and I played 1st violin. We were both astonished that after so many years we could still do something that really caused us to pause and look at each other. It is a new Horizon and my son is learning the 1st Violin, I will play 2nd Violin and my wife will pay the guitar, inside of a couple of weeks we should be able to bang it out pretty well.

I just thought it was something special so I shared it, not controversial, but really cool. Without getting into detail, she felt very amorous after that. I guess that says it all.
Google Adsense
Old 07-14-2009, 05:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
Sounds very cool to me, and stories like that are always nice to hear IMO.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
My family is pretty musical with 4 out of five playing instruments including piano, violin, viola, harp, etc... There are also a lot of musical folks in our church, and I can tell you that jam sessions are REALLY fun. Especially once you get some folks who have practiced and played long enough to just pick up and improvise!

Ryan
Old 07-14-2009, 10:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Sounds like a love story to me. You are one fortunate man! Thanks for sharing that with us. Stories like that help us to know one another better.

To piggyback, my 12 year old is learning trumpet using the instrument I played when I was a kid. My wife chides me when I want to blow a few notes because it is my son who needs to improve his technique. I even pulled out the music I used as a kid, some of it written by me. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:49 PM

That's terrific! It's really cool that your son *wants* to learn violin!

We live in an age in which we are immersed in music like never before, yet it seems fewer people than ever can play an instrument. :-\

Making music together has got to be one of the best activities a family can share. Hope you all continue to enjoy it!
Google Adsense
Old 07-15-2009, 02:00 AM

Bravo! Bravo!

Encore!

Music together as a family is always a good thing.

Jack
Old 07-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Cool deal! I struggled through playing the trumpet for a few years when I was a kid - but as technically sound as I could get, I couldn't overcome my inherent tone deafness and actually make it sound good. Getting braces chased me away for good.
Always good to hear more people doing family activities together though :D
Old 07-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
My mother was a classically trained opera singer and pianist and my father sang and played piano by ear. I remember my brothers and I sitting entranced as children as they sang and played by the hour. Best childcare in the world. Later, I played low brass (trombone, baritone and tuba), majoring in music in college; my middle brother played baritone and my youngest brother trumpet, majoring in music composition. t's been passed onto our children as well - my daughter plays bassoon, tuba and sings marvelous alto, my son plays trombone, tuba and has a mellifluous baritone voice and my niece also sings operatic quality alto.

Music is one of the great things that bind us close as a family. When we are all together it's like we have our own opera company! We have been greatly blessed by music.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Wonderful story I’m pleased that you shared it with us. Any chance of you recording your family I would love to hear it.

I can’t play an insturment but I am an Audiophile and as one of my many hobbies I run a small studio for a couple of bands. This is a Song I mastered and mixed for a very talented song writer and vocalist named Bree Noble. To bad you’re in Connecticut I would love to do a recording you.

Jim Nunn