PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 04-27-2020, 03:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.53 MB
Hawker Typhoon Spade Grip

Hello PMs

Strange times we are living in and being at home I was asked to make a retirement gift for a guy leaving the RAF.

I settled on making him a Hawker Typhoon Spade Grip as the guy in question works on Typhoons and Spitfires at Coningsby (a little bit of a mix of both).

Having obtained a 3D printer for Christmas I thought this would be a great opportunity to get to grips with it and the design software required to make things in the first place.

see a spade grip below:

This thread will show how it is going!!
Tertius Primus Erit
Google Adsense
Old 04-27-2020, 04:44 AM

First Print

Hello PMs

I had a look on the internet to see if there was anything available out there already. There is a 3D printable spade grip for a Spitfire which I downloaded from the free site and started to print. The spade grip itself is surprisingly good but it was out of scale and missing details in several areas. The main one for me was the Dunlop Crackle Grip. It was good but not good enough for what I wanted.

3D Printed Dunlop Crackle - Not perfect

According to the net, the Dunlop Crackle grip technique has been lost as to how it was manufactured!! I spent some time with modelling clay and used the first 3D print (to model it on) at trying to manufacture the crackle grip effect. I was happy with the result.

As the clay dried it cracked, pretty much like the real rubber does on grips, see above.

I download Fusion 360 design software and spent the next week designing a new grip as close to the real thing as possible. I looked on the net and discovered the grip for a Hawker Typhoon was AH8005. I found a few good examples on spitfirespares.com. I used these pics and info on the net to to design my own.

Enjoy
Tertius Primus Erit
Old 04-27-2020, 04:58 AM

MKII Electric Fire Button

PMs

The Spade grip I downloaded had a different fire button from what I wanted. The downloaded grip came with a BBC fire button or Brownings Both Cannons. As the Typhoon only had Cannons it did not need that button but the older MKI type used on early Spitfires and Hurricanes but, they modified it with electrics and hence removed the copper air lines.
I looked all over the net and could not find dimensions or drawing with regards to the brass fire button I wanted. I did know the diameter of the hole it went in so I guessed the rest.

My first print off below:

I decided the inner button was too big so smaller it became, I then noticed that the words Safe and Fire are on the real item. This had to be added in the design. Whilst designing this I thought, why don’t I get the switch to rotate and press like the real thing?

OK, why not….Fool - another 3 days

Test fit & operation clip

Enjoy
Tertius Primus Erit
Old 04-27-2020, 05:18 AM

New look hub

PMs

Now happy with the crinkle effect and the fire button I needed to look at the other inaccuracies.

The hub of the grip needed replacing so I cut off the D-ring I had placed the clay on (with the new crackle grip on) and examined 50 or so pics of spade grips to work out how the hub should look. I came up with a good design and placed the part number AH8005 in the centre as per the real item.

Front

Back

I then attached the D-ring on the new hub, it fits perfectly!
I also made a bowden tube for the brake cable and also made a brake lever. I gave all this a layer of black primer paint.

Enjoy
Tertius Primus Erit
Old 04-27-2020, 05:27 AM

Painting

PMs

The Spade Grip is really starting to look the part, its time now for a little paint and some of the smaller items such as washers, and the parking brake lever and the Bowden cable hub. These I designed in fusion and printed off, after cleaning and gluing on and a little paint its really is starting to look how I wanted it to look.

On a wooded stand from the back:

From the front:

More to come
Enjoy
Tertius Primus Erit
Google Adsense
Old 04-27-2020, 05:39 AM

Camera Switch

PMs

OK, next on the spade grip – Camera switch

It would seem that there was a camera switch on most Typhoon grips so this I designed next. Again, no sizes but having a few pics I managed to make a good guess at its dimensions. This I processed through fusion and printed off:

Design

Print

Whilst printing I decided again to make the push switch work, a little redesign and a spring and this also operates.

Fitted

Enjoy
Tertius Primus Erit
Old 04-27-2020, 05:50 AM

Wiring

PMs

Wiring

As this is an electrical switch and not pneumatic, I scanned many a pic to see what the cable looked like. From what I gather the fire button cable was in a clear covering. I looked all over for a similar type but due to lockdown I was limited to the shed. I did have some thin white cable and clear plastic for the fishpond, it worked a treat! As for the camera switch, a USB charging cable with a cord outer braid looked spot on (don’t tell the wife, she’s still looking for it).

I painted the camera switch and attached the usb cable

The fire button cable I also slotted in place

It just needs mounting on the stand and and the cabled gluing in place.

Enjoy
Tertius Primus Erit
Old 04-27-2020, 06:00 AM

Completion

PMs

Well the Hawker Typhoon Spade Grip AH8005 is ready, it does need a split pin in the parking brake but I can’t get that for a few days, it can wait.

Apart from that, she’s finished

Hope you enjoyed this short thread

Stay Safe
Tertius Primus Erit
Old 04-27-2020, 07:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.05 GB
very unique and beautiful!!!
A-7 olympus
Old 04-27-2020, 07:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Thumbs up

Looks real good. It is as if you ripped one out of an aircraft and mounted it on the wood stand.
Google Adsense