PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 12-06-2022, 11:23 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
My favorite: The sailboat.
(of course, Grace is a close second)
Old 12-08-2022, 08:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Lovely work.

Wyvern
Old 12-11-2022, 11:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 814.53 MB
CL-52 update

Hi All;
The deck plates went on pretty well, considering my limitations, no outrageous bumps. The side plates are now being attached, working one at a time from bow to stern, in order to avoid the hazards of misalignment if you try to do an entire side at a time. This leaves room for adjustment. The connector tabs are ocean gray to avoid a glaring white opening at the seams. The first photo shows the two front plates, as folded and curved before going on. The hawse pipe ends are attached. Inside plates and stiffeners will go later. Thought was given to attachment before hand, but if the bottom edge was even a little off, it would mess up the fit. The line openings at the front wouldn't line up. This way they can be dry fitted and trimmed. The second photo shows the starboard plate dry fitted. even unglued you can see that it is better that the bow of the mock up. The third photo shows both bow plates attached. The fit is good. A cap plate will be made for the point of the bow, because I can see some fit problems ahead, in that area. The fourth shot is a bow angle view. The fit is pretty good. The side plates are folded in one inch segments and attach to the deck edge. It's asking too much of the card to try fitting it all as one curved fold. The last shot shows the second port side plate attached. You can see that the fit is much better. Armor belt or, no? Photographs of USS Juneau and USS Atlanta as well, indicate that the visibility of the belt depends on the light conditions and paint scheme. Sometimes you can hardly see it. The belts are drawn with no hard black outline, rather a narrow strip of lighter gray at the top, front and rear, to give the impression of the slope. We will have to wait, to see if it works, until the sides are completely in place.
Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-12-6-22-1r.jpg   old stuff-12-6-22-2r.jpg   old stuff-12-8-22-1r.jpg   old stuff-12-8-22-2r.jpg   old stuff-12-10-22r.jpg  

Old 12-11-2022, 12:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Incredibly clean, percise, and beautiful work on Juneau!

I am Ocean Green (5-OG) with envy at your skill, Ray.

Don
Old 12-11-2022, 01:08 PM

Old stuff update

HI All;
After that last "Boo Boo" with CL-52, here is what was really intended to go here. There are several aircraft shelves in the shop. The models are very dusty. They could be cleaned, but if that happened, it would take so long that there wouldn't be enough life span left to do ships. Nuff said. Some of them are card, and many of them are strange birds. A couple are scratch built and several are vacu-formed, even a few card models. The F84s and the Mig-15 were air brushed without masking. It was discovered that if a couple of drops of black paint were mixed into the original silver, you could bounce the result off a filing card and the mist would simulate the shading of aluminum panels. The effect is very subtle. By the way, it takes practice.
Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-002.jpg   old stuff-003.jpg   old stuff-007.jpg   old stuff-008.jpg   old stuff-010.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-11-2022, 01:31 PM

I love to see your collection, Ray. I also have some glassed-in sheves on the basement with stuff collected over a slightly shorter (by two years) life time, but I was never even a tiny bit as productive or skillful or well-organized as you. My envy is tinged with a lot of admiration and awe. It is very kind and generous of you to take the time to share all these images with us.

Don
Old 01-10-2023, 11:11 AM

old stuff

Hi All;

Here are some really old models. The first is an old Wilhelmshavener card model of Schleswig- Holstein built around 1975. One of the few models which isn't modified. The second is HMS Badsworth a 1986 scratch built. The hull is a scrap of 2X3 pine. The rest is polystyrene and whatever material works. The last is USS Admirable from 1983. The hull is balsa. The rest is scrap plastic. It's one of the few that has people on it and one German Shepherd as well. There is also a mine in the lower left side. I sort of backed into designing in card after having done quite a few scratch builds in other media.

Regards rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-scleswig-holstein-r.jpg   old stuff-hms-badsworth-r.jpg   old stuff-uss-admirable-r.jpg  
Old 01-11-2023, 02:39 PM

old stuff

Hi All;

Just taking a break from downsizing port holes. This 1/48th scale F7U-3 Cutlass is about forty five years old. It's also an object lesson in what happens when you try to clean a model that hasn't been cleaned since it was built and you mess up the job. Oh yeah! It was really dusty, but it also happened to get mildew along the way. How? I have no idea. It was an difficult build and required considerable alteration, but was quite handsome when finished. Now it looks like something from Davis Monthan storage that was completely forgotten. It is cleaner, but I'm way too old to try to restore it. The real thing was a treacherous thing to fly, but it had some of that 1950's elegance.

Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-003r.jpg   old stuff-110r.jpg   old stuff-111r.jpg  
Old 01-12-2023, 10:13 AM

old stuff

Hi All;

This was a Revell fleet submarine conversion that was done in 1994.

Regards rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-guppy.jpg  
Old 01-12-2023, 12:22 PM

You sure built a lot of good stuff!

Don
Google Adsense