PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 06-03-2023, 08:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 814.53 MB
Old stuff update

Hi All:
As best I can recall, this was built around 1987. It's an old Revell plastic kit. The boat is U-72 as it appeared in 1941. This was one of the earliest attempts to do an ocean. The model was passed along to a long time friend and still exists after thirty-six years. The first photo is the boat just finished before being set in an ocean. The second shows the boat just set in. The last shows the conning tower area.
Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-u-72-1941-1.jpg   old stuff-u-72-1941-2.jpg   old stuff-u-72-1941-3.jpg  
Old 06-11-2023, 12:41 PM

old stuff update

Hi All;
Here is a little Airfix 1/72 Henschel 123 dive bomber in Spanish Civil War markings. The aircraft was introduced into service in 1936 and finally retired from Spanish service in 1953. It wasn't time that did the plane in, it was unavailability of spare parts. Its successor was to be the JU-87 Stuka. The paint job was a bear to do because of all the masking involved. The model was built some time during the 1980s, when the tremors had not advanced and I could use an airbrush without poking myself in the nose.
Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-6-11-23-1r.jpg   old stuff-6-11-23-2r.jpg   old stuff-6-11-23-3r.jpg   old stuff-6-11-23-4r.jpg  
Old 06-25-2023, 01:14 PM

old stuff update

Hi All;
This morning I was looking for something in Woods Hole, regarding deep sea submersibles and stumbled across this photo of an RMS Titanic model that I built back in 1999. Also Here are four shots of the model under construction, where you can see some of the detail. It's about twenty inches long and depicts Titanic about one hour after she collided with the iceberg, when she was dead in the water, down by the bow and the number seven lifeboat was just going into the water. It was a modified kit with a good amount of detail added, including some two hundred really tiny figures of crew and passengers. No two are alike. That particular time was picked because it was bitter cold on deck, most people were still inside and the first few hardy souls were going for the boats. The Museum picture was taken about two weeks ago. You can't see the figures because the picture reproduction is low resolution and won't blow up without losing most detail. The model seems to be holding up very well after all this time. By the way there are two small but splendid museums in town as well as an aquarium. It's a wonderful place for tourists to visit from April to October. The woods hole oceanographic science museum, is on a little side street in the center of town. It looks like an old wooden church. Inside are a terrific exhibit of the Titanic disaster and a display devoted to deep sea exploration including a cutaway of a successful vehicle. There is a wealth of information available at The Institute itself. The whole town is kind of a hidden New England gem.
Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-2023-06-07.jpg   old stuff-titanic-1.jpg   old stuff-titanic-2.jpg   old stuff-titanic-3.jpg   old stuff-titanic-4.jpg  

Old 06-25-2023, 07:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for sharing the images of the U-72, the Henschel, and Titantic. Very timely. Thanks also for the info on museums. Don
Old 07-04-2023, 09:33 AM

old stuff update

Hi All,
Here are a few photos of a 1/72 scale Heinkel 51, built sometime in the early eighties. The model certainly shows its age, especially the yellowing in the area of the decals. Still, it has held up pretty well over forty plus years and is an attractive little machine.
Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-7-3-23-1r.jpg   old stuff-7-3-23-2r.jpg   old stuff-7-3-23-3r.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-04-2023, 10:04 AM

Is it the Hasegawa model? I remember when that one came out.

I am very glad that you are sharing these excelletn models and art works with us.

Don
Old 07-13-2023, 12:09 PM

old stuff update

Hi All;

This is probably the oldest remaining model in the collection. It's a 1/2 scale F4U-2 Corsair by Hawk models, dating back to around 1965. Only the really old folk will even recall the company. The kit was one of the first, reasonably accurate injection molded kits ever produced. This model was rebuilt around 1978. The cockpit interior was scratch built and the canopy replaced with a vacuform stretched modification. Note the bulge in the canopy top to allow the pilot better vision over the nose. The red surround on the National markings was used only for about six months in 1942. It isn't that the model is all that well built, it's that it was one of the earliest attempts at modifying a kit.

Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-f4u-2-1r.jpg   old stuff-f4u-2-2r.jpg  
Old 07-17-2023, 07:26 PM

I certainly remember Hawk models. One of the first plastic kits I ever built was the 1/48 Hawk Nieuport 17, which introduced me to the concept of plastic glue strings.

I built a pale green Ercoupe at the same time. Don't remember the scale or the manufacturer.

It was the early 50s and I bought the models in a drug store while visiting relatives in Pittsburg.

I love the Corsair!

Don
Old 07-17-2023, 07:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Build a lot of Hawk models, primarily space and rockets, way back. Still have their 1903 Rambler and 1906 Hupmobile to finish off.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.21 GB
Thanks guys for shaking off my memory cobwebs.

I remember Hawk's H-43B .

Back in 1958 while employed as a Kaman experimental flight test mechanic
I believe it was then that the kit was offered. I built one or two.

I just Internet researched the kit.

$84.99 What The..

No wonder I am a card modeler.

BP
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-hawk-h-43b.jpg  
Google Adsense