PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 01-26-2023, 02:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 814.53 MB
old stuff update

Hi All;

Moved some models from a shelf and these showed up. The first is a Tirpitz. It was found with a torn cover in a local hobby shop years ago. The owner just wanted to get rid of it and it was marked down to a dollar ninety eight. My kind of price. It isn't the most accurate ever seen, but made an attractive build. The second is a scratch built SMS Seydlitz. There's just something attractive about battle-cruisers.

Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-tirpitz.jpg   old stuff-sms-seydlitz.jpg  
Old 01-28-2023, 02:54 PM

old stuff update

Hi All;

A friend sent this today. He took it at an exhibit at the USS Constitution Museum. Its a scratch build of the first Canadian corvette RCMS Agassiz, that I did in 1998. The model is mostly sheet plastic, but with metal, brass, some old modified scrap kit parts as needed. The mine sweeping floats are modified drop tanks from an F4 Phantom. The only real commercial parts are the chain and cordage. Part of the mine sweeping winch is old watch gears. I suppose that someone could say they are commercial, but it was done according to the principal of "use whatever works." It was such a homely ship that it was fascinating. Holds up pretty well for its age.

Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-rcms-agassiz.jpg  
Old 02-12-2023, 11:31 AM

old stuff update

Hi All;

Managed to lose Google for a week or so. Just figured out how to get it back. Took a few dusty models from a shelf and tried to clean them. They are maybe 35 years old, a bit banged up, but still look decent. All are 1:48 scale. The SM-79 is from Classic Airframes. The ME-110G is from Monogram and the JU-88G is a Koster kit. Most of those companies are gone, but the models go on.

Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-2-9-23-1r.jpg   old stuff-2-9-23-3r.jpg   old stuff-2-9-23-7r.jpg  
Old 03-09-2023, 04:12 PM

old stuff update

Hi All;

Here are two paintings, both acrylic on canvas board, eighteen by thirty inches.

Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-3-9-23-2r.jpg   old stuff-3-9-23-5r.jpg  
Old 03-09-2023, 06:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I like RMCS Agassiz. It seems to be pretty popular ship to model. I can think of two models on display (one in hoppy shop,other in CWH Hamilton museum) and few paper models made. A lot of pictures of models in various media are posted as well. RC models have been made too. It's a nice subject and very important type of ship,no doubt there.
Google Adsense
Old 04-29-2023, 08:59 AM

old stuff update

Hi All;
Here is an old Revell kit, in fits in the box scale, of USS Enterprise CV-6 . The hull was sawed off below the waterline and the model was not really finished in any great detail. It was removably set on a base and used as a demonstrator for a presentation about how to make oceans. The base was a scrap of one inch thick blue Styrofoam insulation. It was divided into six stages. The first was a layer of textured patching plaster. The second was a skim coat of modeling paste. Color was begun with blotches of blue green brushed enamel. When that was completely dry, a more definitive texturing of color was applied. Section five was an application of dry brushed white paint, tinted with the original blue green color, to create the wash created by the ship as it moved in water. The last panel was brushed puddled acrylic gloss to create the look of water. It has been pretty beaten up by travel over the years. Underlying all this is a tremendous amount of research into the action of seas and weather upon different sized ships at a variety of speed. Still, the method makes an effective inexpensive ocean, which takes only a little actual working time.
Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-01r.jpg   old stuff-02r.jpg   old stuff-03r.jpg  
Old 05-02-2023, 02:49 PM

old stuff update

Hi All;

You don't see a lot of these around. It's one of Yoav's designs, built several years ago, before the tremors came under any sort of control. It's a pretty bad build, but it got done anyway. The Vautour always seemed to be a handsome aircraft. The model is a beautiful design and deserves a better build than this.

Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-5-2-23-1.jpg   old stuff-5-2-23-2.jpg  
Old 05-24-2023, 02:34 PM

Old stuff

Hi All;

Here is an old scratch built model of The USS Gilmer (PC-565) in 1:192 scale.
The hull is block balsa. The superstructure is plastic card and rod. The armament is some old Britannia metal pieces which had wandered into the spare parts box sometime in the late 1970's. The colors are old Humbrol enamels, which were hand mixed to match actual USN color chips. They are very dark and it's hard to see the ship, unless the photo is expanded.

Regards, rjccjr
Attached Thumbnails
old stuff-022r.jpg   old stuff-023r.jpg  
Old 05-24-2023, 08:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great work!

I a very glad that yhou are sharing these old models with us.

Don
Old 05-26-2023, 02:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Right, that has been my finding that the research is at least half of the process, these paintings are of great subject matter, the research is obvious, very well done