PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 03-14-2024, 12:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
PRR "Silver Rapids" HO Scale

So, for better or worse (usually worse), I am also into scale model trains.

For those who have never encountered a scale model railroad enthusiast, they are a friendly, down-to-earth bunch who like to pass the time arguing over minutiae like rivet counts and what constitutes the proper shade of black.

But I digress...

Anyway, on the passenger car list I belong to, one fellow asked about the availability of proper decals for the Pennsylvania Railroad's 10-6 sleeper "Silver Rapids". I will bore you all with the details of the prototype car at a later date...

I was able to find the actual lettering diagrams for the Pennsy's stainless streamlined cars online and with a couple of helpful pointers from another member on the PCL.

Armed with the best of intentions and the desperate need to find something to occupy my mind while still caring for my mother (90 years old last year!), I decided to see how difficult it would be to create proper artwork for this car.

After finishing the artwork (and surprising the fellow who originally asked about decal availability), I decided it would be fun to have something to show for my efforts!

A quick search found a decent brass model of this car for a VERY reasonable price.

I "cheated" and used Rustoleum Satin Black on the roof, rather than unpack my airbrush and compressor.

The decals for the railroad name and car name were designed in Adobe Illustrator and printed by me on my trust HP LaserJet.

These decals were pretty much a quick-and-dirty job to see what adjustments need to be made before Justin and me have a couple of sets commercially printed (he's giving me a set as a thank you for doing the artwork).

While the name "SILVER RAPIDS" is scale sized, I might enlarge it ever so slightly to better fit the name plate on the model.

Cheers, and be safe out there!

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
PRR "Silver Rapids" HO Scale-20240313_233855.jpg  
Old 03-14-2024, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.86 MB
sigoti, if you are sure the height of the letters are to scale. Might the nameplate be too long or the company that made the model adjusted the name plate just to visually make the text on the plate easier to read. Having a larger text will have better proportions to the length of the model.

Jeff