PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 02-23-2022, 08:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
It is a beautiful and wonderful site, Don. I feel like it is a shrine where any determined modeler could sit and be comfortable for hours.

I started building card models in the mid 1960s with the Bremerhaven??? ships and planes. I recall a light ship, the Schlewig-Holstein, a between wars cruiser - Koln? - and eventually Bismarck as I left for college.

As Mike says, my parents wanted to clean house and did I mind that they had tossed all of those models? LUL

Thank you so much for sharing.

Carl
Old 02-26-2022, 09:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Thanks for that peek, Don, into your modeling life!

Bart
Old 02-26-2022, 10:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
I think you refer to Wilhemshavener Modellbaubogen, still in business since 1953 and known these days as Möwe Verlag
Old 02-26-2022, 11:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up

Don

Thanks for sharing your collection with us.

Interesting that you still have the old Comet and Guillows models.

Balsa structures are a satisfying build and most of the Free Flight models were good looking and well behaved in the air ( I have an old Guillows F-6F Hellcat converted to radio control and is a super flyer ). I built many of them. Those kits have become super expensive ( over $ 100 USD each ).

Isaac

p.s. I too have a 20+ year old car with a stick shift, but I do not write with a fountain pen ( too messy for me and I do not write in cursive )
Old 09-27-2022, 03:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
I've been doing a bit a dabbling in non-paper modeling lately. Not exactly too far off the mark though.

I use AC3D to make my 3D models that I can unfold with pepakura, but of course you can also 3D print the 3D models as well if you do it right (who would of thought!) Anyway, I decided to kitbash a bunch of parts from various 3D models and make my Maximum Overdrive Gigahorse. I might re-develop it for paper eventually, but for now, here it is as a 3D printed model:
Attached Thumbnails
Non-paper models and collections from long ago-img_20220917_1904_gigahorse.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-27-2022, 10:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
I suspect there are many of us with similar collections to Don's, stacked in boxes, overflowing shelves , littered across self healing matts , perched on reference books. For myself , my studio having undergone a remodel over the winter, I decided it was time to start building whatever was hidden in the various boxes beginning with presents my wife , Lynn and my two daughters have given me over the years. It started with a Medieval Clock, a plastic kit of a Big Boy Loco, an Elizabethan galleon (which may just appear in the forum in a while) and, currently, a Mississippi side wheeler made from matchsticks (Monsieur Pignon is a personal hero....). One by one the horde is being decimated. One problem remains however....where the hell do I store all the finished pieces ? Nice collection Don. Is the tissue paper for those balsa planes still useable???

Derek
Old 09-28-2022, 09:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for dropping by and commenting, Derek. I applaud your effort to make a dent in your collection. I fear none of those old models will ever be built by me, and it is unlikely that I will ever complete the stick models on the bench, either.

From time to time my wife reminds me of the Model Shipways 1/87 tugboat she gave me for Christmas 30 years ago that I was supposed to complete in the Carlisle & Cape May Railway and Steam Navigation Company livery. During her recent illness I asked if I could do anything for her and she responded from her sickbed, "Finish that damned tugboat!"

The tissue in the old Comet and Monogram Speedee-Bilt models looks okay.

Don