PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 05-30-2022, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
I was given some SCOBYs during the first so-called lockdown and made somekombucha using lapsang souchong (smoky tea). I quite liked it, but given the amount of sugar that went in I was concerned that it was going to be as bad for my teeth as other carbonated drinks.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I use 1 cup/237 ml of sugar per 1 gallon/3.79 liters of tea. Not real sweet. The sweetness goes away during the fermentation and is replaced with the carbonation and a nice tartness.

I let the first fermentation go for 6 to 10 days. I taste it on the 6th day to check it out. Usually by then the sweenes is mostly gone. If still too sweet I let it continue and check it every day.

I then bottle it with fruit and/or berries and let the second fermentation go for around 4 days then refrigerate it and let it ferment another few days in the cold. The result is a nice tart and flavorful kombucha to drink with lots of natural carbonation.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
Good to know, I might get back into it as I've been fermenting sauerkraut, pickles, fruit and sourdough in the meantime.