PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 08-10-2022, 02:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
I am sure that the photogrammetry will do if you have possibility to make photographs from the proper distance (with a sufficient long focal length lens). That's how they did it before the invention of lasers and computers. But, of course, if you have no possibility to make photos it is not possible to make plans.

If you cannot reach the building from the other side by foot maybe you will use a drone to make a tour around the windmill?
Old 08-10-2022, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
My camera is adequate for snapshots but not more than that. I plan to buy a better one or possibly a system camera or two or three separate ones, because I have some conflicting requirements for the things I want to do. It will be awhile before I can do this, though. I do already have a couple of tripods, though.

I think I would need at least one more person to do this right and I'd also need to be able to measure the distance between the positions on the ground where the tripod is placed. If I were to do this, I'm pretty sure someone from the museum would help.

Surveying equipment would be a big help. I understand roughly how it's used, but not in detail. This all might be worth looking into, after all, after I have a camera that would be up to the task.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viator View Post
If you cannot reach the building from the other side by foot maybe you will use a drone to make a tour around the windmill?
"You can't get there from here" was just a joke. It must be accessible from the front side; we were just in a hurry and had to get to the bus stop. We went one way and it was blocked off and we didn't have time to go all the way back around. I think you might have to pay admission and go through the main building to get there, but I'm not sure.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:03 PM

I see that you're from Poland. In 1998 I was in Gdańsk Oliwa for a few days and visited the cathedral a couple of times because I liked it so much. I made a couple of drawings but I'd have to go through some boxes to find them. It had lots of beautiful plaster work, including a spectacular organ prospect with angels playing trumpets that moved.
I really liked Gdańsk. I would have liked to have seen Cracow as well.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Finston View Post
I made a couple of drawings but I'd have to go through some boxes to find them.
Somewhat to my surprise, I was able to find them. I thought there might be three, but I think there are probably only the two. I would call them sketches rather than drawings. I made them on the 26th and the 25th of August, 1998, respectively.
Attached Thumbnails
Architectural Photos for Projects-dscf0001.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-dscf0002.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-dscf0003.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-dscf0005.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-dscf0006.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 08-11-2022, 06:56 AM

These are a few more very old drawings. The first one was probably from the late 1980s. It's not from a real building, it's a perspective construction that I did by hand. This must have been before I started using the computer for graphics, which was in 1991, because, like any sane person, I have never done a perspective drawing by hand since then. The arches must be circular and a circle in perspective is always an ellipse. The standard way of approximating a perspective ellipse is a construction using 8 points. These arches have the characteristic look of a curve done with a flexible curve (see second-to-last photo), i.e., they don't bear close inspection.

I never had good results with flexible curves, nor with French curves (see last photo), although the latter are attractive looking tools.

The other drawings are all sketches of actual buildings or architectural features, i.e., not from drawings or photos. The dates range from 1991 to 2001. I've got a couple more, but then that's it; I haven't done anything like this in about 20 years. These drawings were done in Cologne, Copenhagen and Göttingen.

Nearly all of my juvenilia has been lost. I only regret a few of them, one being a drawing of the Lindheimer Observatory in Evanston, Illinois, because that building no longer exists. Otherwise, it wasn't a beautiful building at all, although I particularly like observatories. In Göttingen, there's a beautiful 19th century one, where Carl Friedrich Gauss lived and worked.

I do have a very large number of animal sketches that I did in zoos up until 2005 or so, mostly in Hannover. I planned to work them up into finished drawings but then I found that that doesn't improve them.
Attached Thumbnails
Architectural Photos for Projects-rscf0001.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-rscf0002.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-rscf0003.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-rscf0006.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-rscf0007.jpg  

Architectural Photos for Projects-rscf0008.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-rscf0009.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-rscf0010.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-rscf0011.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-rscf0013.jpg  

Architectural Photos for Projects-rscf0014.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-rscf0015.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-flexible_curve2.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-french_curves.jpg  
Old 08-18-2022, 02:05 AM

Architectural model

This is a spectacular model of an ugly, poorly designed and impractical building. It is the State and University Library of Lower Saxony in Göttingen.

The architect who designed it and the director of the library and/or the committee that approved the designed apparently didn't give much thought to what the requirements of a library are. It's very open and airy and "full of light", which is all very well, except that it makes it hard to work in a place where noise carries. They also didn't account for people working with computers, which was quite difficult when they put them right in front of big windows where the light that was filling it up was coming in. They did eventually install jalousies. There may have been some controversy because this didn't fit in with the "architectural concept". Not to mention that books can be damaged by exposure to light.

The funniest design flaw, however, is the gutter that doesn't reach the ground, but rather empties onto the heads of people just before the entrance. Except that it's not funny when you walk under it when there's water coming out. I know this from personal experience.

This isn't for a project, because there is no way I would ever make a model of this monstrosity.
Attached Thumbnails
Architectural Photos for Projects-sub_goe01.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-sub_goe02.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-sub_goe03.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-sub_goe04.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-sub_goe05.jpg  

Architectural Photos for Projects-sub_goe06.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-sub_goe07.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-sub_goe08.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-sub_goe09.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-sub_goe10.jpg  

Architectural Photos for Projects-sub_goe11.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-sub_goe13.jpg