PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 08-07-2022, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Architectural Photos for Projects

Yesterday I was in the small town of Ebergötzen, Germany, which is very close to where I live but very far from everywhere else. The poet and artist Wilhelm Busch, who is world-famous in Germany, visited Ebergötzen several times at least, which would seem to be enough reason to name everything in Ebergötzen after him --- the school, the pharmacy, the church. Well, maybe not the church. However, they did name this beautiful historical windmill there after him, which is justifiable, because it was the miller's family that he visited there. He was friends with the son or one of the sons, if I remember correctly.

We tried to get around to the front but it was a case of "you can't get there from here". We had to catch the bus back, so we didn't have time to try to find the way. It was nice there, so I may get another chance.
Attached Thumbnails
Architectural Photos for Projects-wilhelm_busch_muehle01.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-wilhelm_busch_muehle02.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-wilhelm_busch_muehle05.jpg  

Last edited by Laurence Finston; 08-07-2022 at 06:46 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-07-2022, 08:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Would make a lovely model.

For your interest:
Ebergotzen Windmill Google Maps
Old 08-07-2022, 08:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks like a classic northern European windmill. Your images would provide the basis for a paper model (you could extrapolate the appearance of the sides and back).

Don
Old 08-07-2022, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the responses. During the week, I can walk to the bus stop in five minutes and then ride for 20 minutes and I'll be there, so if I decide to make model plans, it would be no trouble to just go and make more photos. However, I wouldn't really be satisfied with eyeballing it and would see if there are any architectural drawings. Obviously, not from when it was built but it must be a national or provincial historical monument so maybe there's some material available. I could see adding making plans to my "to do" list but I don't usually get around to actually building the models. I think the surface of it is very nice and it would be a new thing for me to do something like that; my previous plans have mostly been for things like polyhedra.

I think it's pretty likely that there already is a paper model you can buy. It's definitely a place where tourists and their money are parted although the town doesn't seem to be entirely devoted to tourism. In general, it looked very nice. It's horse country and it looks like pretty affluent people live and/or have vacation homes there.

There's a nice photo of the innards of the windmill on this page: Wilhelm-Busch-Muhle – Ebergotzen & Holzerode
Old 08-07-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Finston View Post
I think it's pretty likely that there already is a paper model you can buy.
Well, I could be wrong about this. I had a look around the website and they don't offer anything for sale. It's right next to the European Bread Museum, which is also supposed to be interesting. There was a café/restaurant there with a big terrace and we considered eating there until I saw what they were charging for a tarte flambée (germ. Flammkuchen). I'll bet there's a gift shop there, too.

I wrote to the organization "Friends of the Wilhelm Busch Mill" to see if they could provide some information, like maybe material from the Historical Monument Commission.

Incidentally, Flammkuchen is typical local cuisine in Alsace but not so much in Lower Saxony. I love Flammkuchen but not for 10.75 €, not belonging to the horsey set myself.
Google Adsense
Old 08-07-2022, 01:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
Some time ago there was a plastic kit (by PIKO -?) of the same type of a windmill in TT or H0 railroad dioramas scale, with very similar features. The front wall was simply flat, in the side walls there could be small windows and the most distinctive features were the lifting device (a kind of davit) under the small roof on the top, the covered stairs and the pretty long beam protruding to the rear with a gear on its end, a kind of a lever, which helped the miller to turn the whole building around the vertical axis front to the wind. I am pretty sure that it was a model of this very thing (see the image below).

In my youth I saw few of the same type windmills, which were pretty popular in the Eastern-Northern Poland and they were operable up to 1950s but many were still well preserved in 1970s and 1980s. It is a pity that up to now most of them are lacking wings and other details if they are still existing at all. As far as I remember all looked similar to this design. But it was much too easier to find the diagrams or cross sections of these windmills than elevations/side views
Attached Thumbnails
Architectural Photos for Projects-img_20220807_215546.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-ozewia32.jpg   Architectural Photos for Projects-schemat.jpg  

Last edited by Viator; 08-07-2022 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:14 PM

There's certainly a strong family resemblance. The hard part about making model plans would be understanding how it works. I think I underestimated the difficulty of such a project. I'll see what the Friends of the Wilhelm Busch Mill have to say, if they respond.

I had a look through the Google Maps photos and there's a lot of nice stuff there. I don't remember specifically seeing half-timbered buildings along our route, but there may be an old section of the village with agricultural buildings.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 185.31 MB
Gentlemen

Unfortunately I cannot help with the main problem. I could not find plans or drawings for the particular windmill shown in the pictures of this thread.
However, for those who want to dig deeper I want to point out that Ebergötzen has at least two historic mills and these are confused in this thread.
There is the "Wilhelm Busch Mill" but that one is water powered. And then there is the windmill on the grounds of the European Bread Museum. The latter is the one in the pictures. It was originally build and operated in a small town Hotteln, near Hildesheim. In an effort to preserve it it has been acquired by the bread museum and relocated to its present location.
So, the curator of the bread museum may be the best contact to ask for plans of the "Bockmühle". The friends of the Wilhelm Busch Mill may not know what you are talking about.
Good luck!
Old 08-07-2022, 09:20 PM

You're quite right. The European Bread Museum has two mills, one water-powered and one wind-powered, and the Wilhelm Busch Mill is a different water-powered one. In my email to the Friends of the Wilhelm Busch Mill, I didn't refer specifically to a windmill, so that shouldn't be a problem. That would also explain some confusion we had with the signs on the road. It was all a bit hurried, since we'd hiked from Seeburg and just had half an hour in Ebergötzen to wait for the bus.

Thank you for pointing this out. I'll have to find my copy of "Max und Moritz" and check the drawings of the mill. I couldn't have told you whether it was a wind- or a watermill.

I've now sent a slightly altered email to the Bread Museum. They have scale models of "various types of mill" in the museum. Admission is 5 € for adults, which I think is reasonable.

I'd like to make a 3D topographical map of the Old Botanical Garden in Göttingen out of papier-mâché or plaster and wrote to the Friends of the Botanical Gardens for information. However, apparently this requires a quorum of the Board of Directors and people are on vacation, so they can't give me an answer. They roll up the sidewalks here when the schools have their summer vacation. I'm not too optimistic about this project getting off the ground.

Last edited by Laurence Finston; 08-07-2022 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:40 PM

Someone from the European Bread Museum called me back today. They have no architectural drawings of the windmill. They used to have a paper model on sale at the museum shop, but it was just of some other windmill or a generic windmill and not this particular one. They would be interested in selling a paper model but don't have any money to commission one. I made it clear that I wasn't angling for a commission.

I'm sure it would be possible to calculate the dimensions of the windmill using surveying equipment and triangulation. I mentioned this to a friend and he said they probably used laser devices for this purpose now. I think he's probably right, which disappoints me in a way. On the other hand, it might make it possible with fewer resources.

I think I could manage the triangulation but otherwise I don't have the first idea of how do this, so I don't think I would be able to realize this project. Maybe in another life.
Google Adsense