PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 05-04-2023, 11:24 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Other Things I Do: My "MG-Whizz"

I'm a licensed Private Pilot, and about six years ago, I decided to start flying again after being away from it for ten years. I set aside some money for flying club membership, aircraft rental, and retraining. Then I thought about how little flying time that amount would get me, and I bought a sports car instead.

My "MG-Whizz" is a FiberFab "MiGi" kit car -- a replica of a 1949-51 MG-TD, built in 1985 on a VW Bug chassis and drive train. I found it on the Internet and bought it from private seller in Denver. MiGis were popular in the '70s and '80s and I've wanted one since my college days.

After buying it, shipping it to Wisconsin, and fixing some mechanical issues the seller had conveniently failed to mention, I still had about half of my "flying money" left over. Over the past winter, I had its 1968 VW engine professionally rebuilt, and boy, am I glad it's not an airplane!

At car shows, it's no concourse winner, though I've brought home a few trophies in the "specialty car" category. But mostly it's just a whole lot of fun to drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Other Things I Do:  My "MG-Whizz"-nose.jpg   Other Things I Do:  My "MG-Whizz"-4-july-2022-.jpg   Other Things I Do:  My "MG-Whizz"-greenlake2020.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-05-2023, 06:28 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Nice "MiGi". I could be seen in that!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-05-2023, 06:29 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Gorgeous. I couldn’t help snagging a few photos from the web of these wonderful cars.

It is my understanding that during World War II, many of the American and Canadian servicemen became captivated by those little “British Sports Cars”. Their popularity rose here in North America in the post war period. I think the 50s, 60s and 70s were the golden age for them. I owned a Triumph TR3A and a Triumph GT6 for a while. I had a lot of fun driving those cars, and I have almost as much fun just looking at them.
Attached Thumbnails
Other Things I Do:  My "MG-Whizz"-z-1948-mgtc.jpg   Other Things I Do:  My "MG-Whizz"-z-1957-triumph-tr3.jpg   Other Things I Do:  My "MG-Whizz"-z-1961-mga.jpg   Other Things I Do:  My "MG-Whizz"-z-1961-triumph-spitfire.jpg   Other Things I Do:  My "MG-Whizz"-z-mg-t-type.jpg  

Old 05-05-2023, 03:26 PM

I believe the green MG is a TC, 1945-1950. the TA (1935-39) had a slightly different shaped cowl, and the TD ('49-'53) had stamped alloy wheels.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:34 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Thanks David for the info on that Green MG.

Here are a couple of beauties for sale at the Grand Rapids Auto Gallery.
I find myself partial to the years before they began putting the large black bumpers on them (sometime in the 70s). Of course, they had to meet the new crash standards that were being legislated in the American market, but it spoiled their beautiful design characteristics.

Oh . . . I can't forget this gem (1946 MGTC ?)I have had in my photo collection for a while. It was for sale by "Specialty Sales Classics" in California some time ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Other Things I Do:  My "MG-Whizz"-z-1960-mga.jpg   Other Things I Do:  My "MG-Whizz"-z-1973-triumph-gt6.jpg   Other Things I Do:  My "MG-Whizz"-z-1946-mg-tc.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 05-05-2023 at 07:00 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 05-05-2023, 07:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's a beauty.

In the spring of 1959, I had the pleasure of driving around the Watkins Glen raceway in a buddy's black MG TC (in those days, you could just drive onto the raceway track).

All through college, I had the use of another buddy's MGA, and when I got back from Korea in 1963, I bought an Infantry Blue MGB, which we drove for seven years. I wish I still had it - although I am very fond of my 23-year-old stick shift English Racing Green Subaru Forester.

I give you joy of your motorcar!

Don
Old 05-05-2023, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
It's a beauty.

In the spring of 1959, I had the pleasure of driving around the Watkins Glen raceway in a buddy's black MG TC (in those days, you could just drive onto the raceway track).

All through college, I had the use of another buddy's MGA, and when I got back from Korea in 1963, I bought an Infantry Blue MGB, which we drove for seven years. I wish I still had it - although I am very fond of my 23-year-old stick shift English Racing Green Subaru Forester.

I give you joy of your motorcar!
Don
I owned an MGB for a few years when we lived in Michigan. I bought it used, and my wife and I took it on a five-week road trip to the West Coast. It was a lot of fun but a maintenance hog. in the four years I owned it, I think I put my mechanic's kids through college.

These days, when I'm not driving the MiGi or riding my recumbent trike, I drive a 17-year-old Subaru Outback that I never want to give up. How many miles on your Forester, Don?
Old 05-06-2023, 06:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Gorgeous. I couldn’t help snagging a few photos from the web of these wonderful cars.

It is my understanding that during World War II, many of the American and Canadian servicemen became captivated by those little “British Sports Cars”. Their popularity rose here in North America in the post war period. I think the 50s, 60s and 70s were the golden age for them. I owned a Triumph TR3A and a Triumph GT6 for a while. I had a lot of fun driving those cars, and I have almost as much fun just looking at them.

You're absolutely right - they were affordable and available. A fair number found a way to export their cars back home after the war. Unfortunately the nature of British roads, combined with blackouts and primitive brakes, meant they did cause some untimely deaths.

I'd be interested to see how the Volkswagen's underpinnings fitted into the body of the MG. Presumably the engine is still at the back, and the steering and gears have been moved back so the seats are more like where the rear seats would have been.
Old 05-06-2023, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
David - My Subaru only has 117,000 miles on it, and the body is in excellent condition. Not a speck of rust. It needs new upholstery, but otherwise seems likely to outlast me.

You mention maintenance - say the sybalterns, Amen!

Another idiosyncracy of the MGB was the top (hood, drophead), which you will recall was of fabric supported by a two-part frame. Lil and I got so good at assembling the frame and stretching the hood that, when the rain started, we were able to get the top up in less than 20 minutes.

Don
Old 05-06-2023, 08:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Awesome car!

Used to have a 1968 MGB while stationed in Hawaii. Fun car! Expensive to maintain.

The north shore around Oahu was more than fun to drive late at night when there wasn't any traffic.

What size of VW engine?

You made a wise choice.

My eyes are borderline to keep flying. Must have 20/40 un-aided to fly. Thinking is; if you lose your glasses you still need to be able to see other aircraft.

Aircraft pricing has gone straight up. Avgas here cost $7.75 and I burn from 5.5 gallon per hour at 2100rpm to 9.5gph at 2700 rpm. That is expensive to fly now!

Purchased my VANS RV-6 for $37,800.00 in 2016, now worth over $60,000.00+ and they sell fast.

Planning a Grand Canyon flight for this summer, then I might sell it.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 05-06-2023 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Grand Canyon
Google Adsense