PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 11-02-2009, 12:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I dare to buy another plastic model

But it is the figure not some thing so easy to make from paper. I buy the Mummy and the Nosferatu plastic models. I like the idea of the Vampyre Nosferatu model. The Mummy, well he is the Mummy. I imagine him to be hard to paint so it does not look boring all in one colour. The Vampyre he has a stylish pea coat to paint...

They have some more of these... a Witch, a Dracula, the Wolf Man and the Frankenstein Monster.
Google Adsense
Old 11-02-2009, 12:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Plastic is good too!!! its just like paper only less Cats.

I just got the new IronMan (from Moebius Models)...got it on eBay for $12 ...wow! what a steal!!
I can't wait for Xmas to open it!!

Is yours the new Mummy (also from Moebius?)...it looks just like Karloff!
Old 11-02-2009, 12:55 PM

I buy the Revell Mummy. I have seen also the one you mention I think but it is IMHO boring. He just lays there looking dead. It also cost twice as much. I see the movies, The Mummy's Hand and The Mummy's Tomb for Halloween. and the character looks like the Revell model.

I imagine a paper model of King Tut's tomb that would be interesting with all the furnishings, walls, sarcaughagus ( I know I spell that wrong) etc. Even if it were just flat pictures cut out and to put into a shadow box as if you are to peer into the tomb...
Old 11-02-2009, 01:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Plastic is good too!!! its just like paper only less Cats.
Less cats ..... :D

Check out my friend Andy's review of the witch here:

International Plastic Modelers Society IPMS/USA Figure & Diorama Kit Reviews

You'll need to click the "all figs/dio" button on the left to get to the index where it can be found

Greg
Old 11-04-2009, 12:06 PM

I build The Mummy fairly easily. The parts they do not fit as well as the T-34 tank but the shapes they are more unusual. At the store they sell to me a liquid plastic filler that worked very well for the seams. I do not have to sand. I can just apply the liquid with a paint brush, and then the excess wipe away with a cloth. Only his head does not fit so well to the body.

I have not fixed yet the bandages that hang down around him.

Since I like The Mummy I have the DVD set with all of his movies. The model it is the Lon Chaney character from "The Mummy's Ghost". I feel the model it is based on this photograph. It matches almost perfectly!

I am unsure now how to paint The Mummy. I do not want it to be so boring in colour... I think he has some blood on his face and bandages?
Google Adsense
Old 11-04-2009, 12:23 PM

yes that looks more like the Chaney Jr make up.
I prefer the original, Karloff, for a more realistic frightening look.

Painting Im Ho Tep

Skin tones should be grays, very light, washed out...dry as dust.

and bandages should be the same with a slight beige tone.

no blood...remember, Pharaohs were drained of all fluids and organs.
Attached Thumbnails
I dare to buy another plastic model-mummy-boris-karloff.jpg   I dare to buy another plastic model-mummys-tomb-1942-lon-chaney.jpg  
Old 11-04-2009, 12:40 PM

That is a good photo also! It is funny I like this look more... But in "The Mummy" the first movie, Karloff he is only in the bandages at the beginning. I like also the idea that in the other movies, The Mummy he is exported to the USA to do his master's bidding so it combines different themes. It is one thing to see The Mummy in Egypt but then to see him on an American farm or in the Louisiana swamp... The old movies they are more interesting than the new ones that are all animations. I notice on the model kit they are confused them selves... The box it says Lon Chaney and it has there also his picture. But then on the instruction sheet, it will call The Mummy Im-Ho-Tep, which is the Boris Karloff Mummy. But the Lon Chaney Mummy he is Kharis...

The other model they sell it looked less interesting with him just laying there and the diorama is more parts than the Mummy. It it were not so dear (it is $40 or $50...). I buy this one first.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:08 PM

The original (and best) 1932 Universal Boris Mummy is the story of Im Ho Tep.
This is the same story retold in the latest Mummy series with Brendan Fraser.
Im Ho Tep was cursed for his affections toward Princess Anck-es-en-Amon.

Universal retold the Mummy in a new series of B-movies in the 1940s that starred Lon Chaney Jr as Kharis.
These stories were again refilmed in the 50s and 60s by Hammer Films, starring Christopher Lee as Kharis.
Kharis is a completely different character, an Egyptian Priest, who was the guardian of Princess Ananka's tomb.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:24 PM

Yes I have all of them on DVD. There is a good box set with them all from "The Mummy", "The Mummy's Hand", "The Mummy's Tomb", "The Mummy's Ghost", and "The Mummy's Curse". I buy "The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb", "The Mummy's Shroud", and "The Mummy" from Hammer from Amazon.

The new one is not so good. It have many historical mistakes as well. Even at the beginning it shows the Pyramids of Giza but it says the movie it says Thebes. Also in the movie they show the Pyramids as they appear today with the outer surface eroded. But in their glory they had a white reflective surface applied.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:48 AM

Well I have now most of The Mummy painted. He is difficult to paint! I want for him to look like the photos but then I do not want him to be monotone. So I make the skin areas brown with grey and the bandages grey with white.
Google Adsense