PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 11-19-2009, 01:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
Your Serenity is....WOW! Did you add lighting? Well, that would be quite a feat if you did.
Hi, thanks for the praise, yes there is lighting in the model...
check out my site for a (dodgy) video showing them working and lots more pics of the build

Stephanie Dee-Gardner (aeryn43)
Old 11-19-2009, 05:35 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Excellent model! To answer your rhetorical question, there is nothing wrong with plastic other than our forum is 'papermodelers.com' :D
Old 11-19-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStephens View Post
Speaking of plastic....While paging through this month's edition of Fine Scale Modeling I saw a re-release of an older kit "Rommel's Rod". This looks like a lot of fun and would be a great subject to convert to paper.
WOW! I built a few of those as a kid! That was one of my favorite "odd rods" that Monogram put out in those days (I think the Red Baron was a close second). A paper version would be stellar.

Paper or plastic, the old conundrum facing grocery shoppers everywhere! Aeryn, I agree with the sentiment that whatever you like and am happy with the final model, go for it! I like paper because of it's cheap abundance, making kits of "off beat" subjects more likely than a plastic kit, and that paper kits require of me a skill set that plastic kits don't (rolling tubes as one example). But I see many a plastic aircraft model build using a card model as the pattern with amazing results. Your "Serenity" is another stunning example of this, and I would encourage to keep going as you are ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind).

As an administrative aside, I click on the link you've provided to your website, but receive a "Web Page not Found" message....?

Mike
Old 11-19-2009, 07:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
as long as there are no cats involved you can build in concrete for all I care!!!
actually...if there are cats around, the concrete is a good choice...it has a calming effect when you soak them in it
Old 11-19-2009, 09:35 AM

after dabbling in both mediums, I think the cons with plastic modeling are:
you need to invest a relatively high amount of $'s into supplies, a good build will cost about 50 dollars in supplies everytime, that includes sandpaper, sanding sticks, paint, paint thinner etc but not including the kit
Google Adsense
Old 11-19-2009, 09:48 AM

Nothing wrong with plastic as long as you can afford the kits. Paper is in many ways more challenging and has a much greater breadth of subject matter.
Dave, cats in concrete... interesting concept.

Currently working on: ISS
Old 11-19-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee4752 View Post
Paper is in many ways more challenging and has a much greater breadth of subject matter.
I mirror your words sir!

Old 11-19-2009, 01:05 PM

I find both to have the challenge but it is not the same. With paper there is more challenge to prepare and fix the parts so it is mostly construction. Since I do not paint my models, there really is not much challenge to the finish. Once the parts are fixed, that is it. But with the plastic model, the challenge is somewhat to fit the parts properly, but then to erase the seams and then to paint the model fully. When I make The Mummy in particular, it took many hours to obliterate the seam lines but without damaging the bandages and textures.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:43 PM

I have ideas in the pipeline for paper models...but then I find someone has already beaten me to them...ah well keep going...Also i noticed that I booboed in my site address it should read www.chianna47.webs.com
one day I'll spell it right!..
Now I must get round to photgraphing my Pratchett Unseen University that I built awhile back!
Old 11-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Banned

Hate to rain on the love fest, but there are rafts of plastic waste floating in the Pacific Ocean the size of Texas. There are 3 known but there may be many more. The plastic gets to small that the fish eat it and eventually, we do too. I don't eat fish as much as I used to because it is poisoned with Mercury and PVC's. What can one do about it? Not too much. So much of what we buy is wrapped or packaged in plastic. So, while in essence, plastic models can be almost as realistic as paper models,as much fun, they are definitely not as "green".

I wouldn't let you ideas for paper models go to waste. Every paper model is a different interpretation of the subject.
Google Adsense