PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 11-19-2009, 04:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I can't say for certain, but I'm willing to wager that there aren't too many Revell, Monogram, Tamiya, Hasegawa, Dragon or any other plastic models among those plastice death rafts. Trees burn, too. That doesn't make paper modelers evil. The true evil-doers are those dog-gone grocery buyers.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Banned

Paper (a.k.a. trees) is a renewable resource and forests are planted exclusively for paper production. The by products of plastic production produce pollution, no matter what it is used for. You are right though, most of the pollution is from the everyday products that we (me included) use. I wouldn't be surprised if plastic models was a minuscule amount. I could never call anyone who makes models "evil', that just isn't right, unless they were evil for other reasons.

I almost missed the guy paddling the canoe.
Attached Thumbnails
Whats wrong with plastic?-plasticocean.jpg   Whats wrong with plastic?-plastic1.jpg  
Old 11-19-2009, 05:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
did I mention cats?

we could always build things out of cats
Old 11-19-2009, 05:10 PM

I think you were giving some kind of cement recipe. Maybe some kind of feline-based adhesive?
Old 11-19-2009, 05:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnr5 View Post
I think you were giving some kind of cement recipe. Maybe some kind of feline-based adhesive?

1 bag Portland
1 bag sand
20 gallons water
13 Cats
Mix feverishly
Pour fast
-a 2by4 helps to club out the air bubbles.

just trying to divert the attention away from immense floating seas of plastic doom
...I thought the first picture was kinda pretty, I liked the way the sunlight made rainbow colours through the potato salad container.
Google Adsense
Old 11-19-2009, 06:11 PM

Don't forget to brush and hose off your boots and tools. Once the cat dries, it's a real pain to get off.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:35 PM

Hey, airdave!

MEEEEEOOOOOOOOW! PFFFFFT!

Rick
Old 11-19-2009, 07:59 PM

What is wrong with plastic?

• Plastic does not naturally break down in the environment.
  • Plastic contains BPA which when gets into the blood stream at single digits PPB can disrupt human DNA (claims that the chemical bond is permanent preventing transfer has not been confirmed nor denied).
  • Plastic has been produced for almost 100 years and not even a measurable amount is recycled.
  • A high percentage of plastic is simply thrown away, it's either dumped into a landfill or finds it's way into our oceans.
  • Plastic that makes it into our oceans that will float will drift into the center where the air pressure on the oceanic mass creates a bowl effect.
    • Since all the chemicals that run off the land make it into our rivers and then into our oceans exist in a diluted form, plastic floating in the water has the ability to attract and concentrate these chemicals.
    • Birds and Fish eat the small bits of floating plastic which contain the concentrations of chemicals. Guess who eventually eats the fish.
  • Plastic bags are such a menace in some countries like India where the dumped bags are so numerous that cattle are eating bags as if the bags were road side vegetation.
  • Plastic is an oil product.
It's hard to even fathom living without plastic. It would be like living in the stone age.

Cryptic Moth Productions "Addicted To Plastic" <= Amazing documentary.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:19 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Ummmmm, I thought this was a discussion between paper and plastic, and done in a tongue in cheek manner?

Guess i missed a left turn in Albuquerque
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 11-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Banned

There a group that is exploring the concept of turning the plastic from these "plastic rafts" in the pacific into diesel fuel. If the price of fuel goes up I imagine people will start recycling more. The thread was titled "What's wrong with plastic". So I thought I would point out a couple of things. There also could be a thread entitled "What good about plastic?", that would fill a thread also. It like Guns, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people", guns it makes it easier though. Plastic isn't bad, plastic covers a wide range pf products. How we make plastic could be changed to make is more biodegradable. It is what we do with it that needs questioning. Making models out of plastic seems beneficial to me, it's educational and they can be recycled.

No cat fights, just people trying to have intelligent conversation. Whats wrong with that?

Really good points SteveO.
Google Adsense