PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 11-22-2009, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Actually in many cases, sharing your Paper Models over the Internet, might be considered "piracy"...LOL, which we keep getting told is wrong.

Although it is possible to share just as much help, advice, tips, tutorials, links, connections about building the model as you can with Paper! So other than the initial purchase of the kit (paper or plastic) the build process can be exactly the same.

Cats make great shipping containers for plastic models...stretchy, can handle difficult shapes, padded and protective...the only difficulty is attaching postage, you usually need to shave an area for the stapms and address labels.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Plastic is not paper - otherwise there is nothing wrong with it.
I assembled many plastic models as a child, now I build with paper.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
rofl... holy crap dave... hahaha
Old 11-23-2009, 12:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Now that is really something Plastic Models are better at: They CAN'T BE PIRATED!

As I share my self-designed models for free, of course I'm not talking about pirating of commercial paper models. There is no need to pirate paper models, because there are enough free unpirated ones out there. I honour the skills of people like aeryn43, who build plastic models from scratch, I know I could never, but those models can always only be unicums.

As a teenager, I wasted vast amounts of money into plastic models, and there was always the mess and the stink and the fingers full of paint. And they took up so much space. I had been doing paper models as a kid, and was pleased to see the development there. Plastic kits haven't evolved for 20 years or maybe even more. Computer and certain softwares opened possibilities for paper modelling that hadn't existed before. Today, thanks to Pepakura and the like, anyone can design design Papercraft and share them. It's more a kind of subculture, if you will, not like the plastic model industry, which is ruled by powerful companies (Revell especially) who control everything and seduce the customers to buy their expensive paints, glues, masking foil, airbrushs and whatever.

Also, when it comes to take up space: Since Paper models are way cheaper, they are also more expendable: If you get tired of looking at some model, you can just give it to your cat to play. Or build it another time if you were unsatisfied with the build.