PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 11-25-2009, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
KCStephens: Ha! That chicken is Great! How do you find these things?

And I'm with CT on this one: one of the things I'm thankful for is this forum and all the great people here.

Happy ThanksGiving, everybody!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 189.81 MB
Finally,,, a paper turkey...!!! kids will love this...
.. and to echo CT... i love this hobby and all it brings to my life...
..happy Holidays to all...

Gregg
Old 11-26-2009, 12:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
To a great group of artists, Happy T-Day!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It Looks Like a Corsair!

Belated Happy Thanksgiving, friends!

Lil and I are at our rented cottage at Cape May Point, New Jersey, half-way through our annual two-week holiday here. Lil's birthday coincides almost exactly with Thanksgiving, so we combine the occasions. Don3 was here with his family, including the two grandsons. We enjoyed hiking the trails inspite of marginal weather. The nine-year-old braved a day of cold and high winds to build his most spectacular sand castle and city ever -- including the mythology of the people who inhabit it.

They left last Sunday, after which, Lil and I walked Two-Mile Beach, which runs flat and hard along the Atlantic Ocean coast south of Wildwood. It's about a mile and a half walk to the stone jetty that marks the northern bank of the Cold Spring Channel into Cape May Harbor.

There were thousands of shore birds (mostly sanderlings, semipalm sandpipers, dunlin, and a few ruddy turnstones with the occasional dowitcher, and semipalm plover). We enjoy sitting on the rocks of the jetty, watching the fishermen and the comings and goings of local sport fishing boats, big sea-going trawlers (Cape May is one of the largest commercial fishing ports on the east coast), work boats, and yachts.

Sometimes, we can see unusual aircraft on their way to or from air shows. On several occasions, we have seen flights of T-6 Texans. On Sunday, I heard the unmistakable sound of a powerful reciprocating engine, looked up, and was delighted to see a Corsair in mid-war three-tone camouflage flying low overhead.

"What is it?" asked Lil.

You can imagine my pleasure in being able to reply: "It looks like a Corsair!"

Don
Old 12-02-2009, 08:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Cool Don!! That is an interesting combination of pleasing sights and sounds. Our days are cold and I'm afraid the ice is coming so the Goldeneyes and Mergs will have to move elsewhere..we did put up a suet feeder, though, and a couple times there's such a mass of Pygmy nuthatches on it that the feeder is hardly visable . And I have to shoo off the Stellars' Jay so he doesn't empty all the black sunflower seeds..
Old 12-02-2009, 10:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Don;

When I was in my 20s, many years ago, living in the Camden area I used to like to visit the New Jersey Shore or "The Shore" as we called it then in the off season just to enjoy the sort of walk you described.

A few days ago at a thrift store I found a book by Christopher Moore called "In Other Words" which talks about those "untranslatable" words in many different languages.

One of my favorites is a Dutch word "uitwaaien" [oot-vay-en] a verb which means "to walk in the wind for fun." When I read about your walk along that windy beach I had to pass it along to you. Or perhaps you speak Dutch already, in which case, oh, well.

Enjoy your holiday!