PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 06-24-2010, 09:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
<<snipped a bit>>
I spent a good chunk of last night wading through my RAF Review collection for any article (preferably illustrated) on the B.1 - out of a stack about 18 inches high I found precisely 2 articles, one of which was incomplete and unillustrated, but the other had this beautiful shot of Rory Falk rolling XA890 before they started doing all sorts of horrible things to the Vulcan wings...

Man, that must have been fun! Hope he had plenty of altitude since those delta winged birds are very sensitive to relative angle of attack (which constantly changes in a roll...)
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 02-12-2011, 04:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Sanding, sanding, sanding to reshape the fuselage/wing shoulder continues...I too it out to add another layer of grey spray primer to help track progress...one of my grand-daughters piped up 'Look! Poppa building a plane...'...I figure that if a three year old can recognise the upper half of a wingless Vulcan fuselage as 'a plane', I must be getting something right, so will persevere...the shoulder section is starting to take shape now so soon I should be able to move onto the next stage...tweaking the nose so that it doesn't look like it came off WC Fields...
Old 02-16-2011, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
I spent a good chunk of last night wading through my RAF Review collection for any article (preferably illustrated) on the B.1 - out of a stack about 18 inches high I found precisely 2 articles, one of which was incomplete and unillustrated, but the other had this beautiful shot of Rory Falk rolling XA890 before they started doing all sorts of horrible things to the Vulcan wings...

Having just read this thread from the begining (very interesting), just out of interest I fed "Avro Vulcan B1" into Google Image search ...

20 pages of pics ... with the option offer of more ... Even SJPO's pictures are there.

OK, they weren't all early 'straight wing' jobs, but a hell of a lot of them were. Quite a few of 'Airfix' vulcans under construction too. Just double clicking on the pic will take you to the webpage the pic was found on, so further info should be available.

Johnny

Last edited by JohnM; 02-16-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Thumbs up

Simon: I got your back!
NICE WORK, Bro!
Jim
Old 02-16-2011, 03:33 PM

Thanks, Johnny...I had searched quite extensively for early Vulcans but found way more by dropping the . from the B.1...so now have some good pics of the silver straight-wing birds...

Simon
Google Adsense
Old 03-11-2011, 05:10 AM

Sorry...took a little longer to get organised...lots of work on at the moment but as these show she is finally starting to look a little more like a Vulcan...

A view of the reconstructed top of the fuselage where the join between the fuselage and the wing is still not nearly as pronpunced as it should be but is close enough for government work...

...and the two fuselage halves sitting together after the mating surfaces were sanded flush and the step cut into the lower fuselage to match up the nose sections...

I pulled out my Airfix 1/72 Vulcan and even a cursory look shows just how over-bulbous the nose is so some surgery will be needed here: the Airfix nose is positively delicate and graceful compared to this...

Last edited by SJPONeill; 03-11-2011 at 05:16 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-12-2011, 09:18 AM

where have heritage aviation models gone ???

Speaking of Heritage aviation models ltd can anyone else get onto their website. I keep getting a website design page
Old 03-12-2011, 11:29 PM

Got in OK just now...Heritage Aviation Models Ltd.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:55 PM

OOOH new look website