PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 05-20-2010, 04:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Silhouette Models in WWII

I think sometime during the PBJ thread I threatened to post stuff from my collection of WWII memorabilia as a side bar to what I was doing to the model. I haven't forgot, and now that the dust has settled a bit on that whole mess, I'd like to start with something that will (I hope) resonate with the paper modelers here.

During WWII there was a push to make "ID" (Identification) models. These were silhouettes of the airplanes that all the combatants were flying (as accurate as the various intelligence agencies could ascertain at the time). The more common means early on in the war was to enlist high school students to create the models in "shop" class out of wood, the beginnings of the "solid" models that would be popular post WWII. That was followed by actual molded plastic versions contracted by various companies, Cruver being the most notable. Some examples from my "P-51" collection of Cruver models. Early version:

And later version (in the original box):

BUT there was another method used congruently. The use of pieces of punched parts from a heavy cardboard, built up in interlocking pieces, to be disassembled after use (again from my P-51 collection):

These "paper" models (along with their plastic counterparts) help coastal batteries identify the potential types of aircraft they might encounter, as well as the bomber gunners and AA squads overseas, etc.

So you see, paper models help win the war.....

Mike

Last edited by Bomarc; 05-20-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 05-20-2010, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Cool. I think the Atlanta Air Port has or used to have a collection of WWII ID models on display. I didn't get to see them though...
CT
Old 05-20-2010, 05:04 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Hey that's pretty cool. Would be interesting to see a line of those reproduced for laminating to thick card...
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 05-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Hey Mike, love this kinda stuff. When i was a lad i had several of those small but thick books {can't remember who made them - bet someone here will shout up} The books gave all the aircraft specifications on one side of the page, and silhouettes on the opposite page. A game i used to play with my dad was, he would cover the actual photograph of a plane and all it's specs to just leave the silhouette showing - Obviously i had to say what the aircraft was to win. In the end i got quite good at aircraft recognition
Old 05-20-2010, 05:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice Peter. Then you should enjoy this. These come from your own "Ministry of Supply" (does that even exist anymore?). Bought them from a chap in the UK. I know, another P-51, but that is my specialty after all:

Mike
Old 05-20-2010, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
I use to have a set of aircraft recognition cards,well my brother did when he could get them off of me,I used to play the same game as Pete although not with his father.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixergs View Post
I use to have a set of aircraft recognition cards,well my brother did when he could get them off of me,I used to play the same game as Pete although not with his father.
Very good Phil :D But what were those small books called/published by etc

Mike.. those last few images of your lady are very similar in layout to those i am on about... now i am going to have to try and find one of these little books, there one around this place somewhere. I recall, one of them i was looking at was where i got my first crush on a beautiful lady...ummm she soooo beautiful - the one and only B-52 STRATOFORTRESS
Old 05-20-2010, 05:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great research! Superb presentation! Evoked good memories!

Keep 'em flying!

Don
Old 05-20-2010, 05:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
I don't know! I use to have a set of Observer books as in the Observer book of Planes or the Observer book of Princes.The aircraft books had a page of silhouettes and a page with a photo and the statistics on the Observer book of Princes was in Monty Python.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Great research! Superb presentation! Evoked good memories!

Keep 'em flying!

Don
Hell YES sir to that Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixergs View Post
I don't know! I use to have a set of Observer books as in the Observer book of Planes or the Observer book of Princes.The aircraft books had a page of silhouettes and a page with a photo and the statistics on the Observer book of Princes was in Monty Python.
I knew you would come up with it... Thanks matey :D
Google Adsense