PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 05-21-2010, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.50 MB
Game Maps

Awhile back on this forum I mentioned that my Other hobby is playing board war-games. I still do that, but lately, (over the past 2 years) have have gotten more involved in actually creating the maps for games.

The reason is because after fooling around with Photoshop for the past 5 years or so, I had gained enough working knowledge to re-draw some of those maps that I didnt like. Well, after seeing my work, a couple of (very tiny) game companies asked me to make up maps for them in a professional capacity.

The term "professional" basically means I make up the map and they send me the game for free. These companies are run out of peoples basements (or in one case the Attic). Nobody will ever get rich making war-games; the market is too small.

Still, I have lots of fun making these up. In fact its been eating up more and more of my free time. Its getting hard to find time to do any model building these days!

So to make a long boring story short, here are a few samples of what I have done, in no particular order.
Attached Thumbnails
Game Maps-braddock7.jpg   Game Maps-circustrain_map.jpg   Game Maps-marne_test_9.jpg   Game Maps-eia_map.jpg   Game Maps-toe-2-toe_cover-front-.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 05-21-2010, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
AWESOME!!

How do I get TOE TO TOE NUKLR COMBAT WITH THE ROOSKIES??
Old 05-21-2010, 09:29 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Dave,

You can find it here. I'm already looking!

Victory Point Games

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:33 AM

Its a fun little game. You can play a single mission in about 5 mins. and a campaign of all four shouldnt take longer than half an hour. Its got some great Dr. Strangelove theme.

What other game offers you a card that allows you to automatically hit your target, but then you loose a crew member who rides the bomb down!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
I picked up TOE TO TOE NUKLR COMBAT WITH THE ROOSKIES a couple of months ago and love the game. It's a blast to play and like Avro202 said, a quick play.

I have yet to return home with a strike group in the campaign mode of the game, but have many times envisioned Slim Pickens riding one in. 8v)
Google Adsense
Old 05-21-2010, 07:49 PM

Wow Ashrunner! Thats an amazing coincidence...I mean the number of games published cant be more than 500 or so. The odds of running into someone on these forums that has one is pretty slim.

Try downloading my Advanced Campaign mission Log and see how you like it-

http://victorypointgames.com/images/...e_Campaign.jpg

I was trying to make up something that gave the game a bit more depth. If you do use it, let me know what you think; I need feed back on whether the advanced rules really work or not!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Very nice Avro. Lot's of splendid detail in those maps for sure.

I used to do Flight Simulator aircraft repaints and even had several tutorials on how to do it. It took up so much time I never actually used Flight Simulator for years other than checking out the repaints. Funny how having one hobby opens up a second, related activity. As you said though, you will never get rich. But hey! you're having fun mate.

Cheers and thanks for sharing.
Jim
Old 05-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by avro202 View Post
Wow Ashrunner! Thats an amazing coincidence...I mean the number of games published cant be more than 500 or so. The odds of running into someone on these forums that has one is pretty slim.

Try downloading my Advanced Campaign mission Log and see how you like it-

http://victorypointgames.com/images/...e_Campaign.jpg

I was trying to make up something that gave the game a bit more depth. If you do use it, let me know what you think; I need feed back on whether the advanced rules really work or not!
I'll give them a shot. I like Victory Point Games. I have several of them. But Toe-to-Toe is one of my favorites. I also really enjoy Trenches of Valor and am looking forward to the next edition.

I've been a wargamer since like 1967 when I bought AH's Stalingrad and a friend of mine and I played it until we wore it out and had to purchase it again. Currently, I have about 50 or so games...from a variety of publishers.