PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 06-26-2010, 10:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Is a Bento box a model?

I don’t know if a Bento box can be called a model or not. At least this one is made of paper.

Once a year, our group of friends has a “special” meal. It used to be a New Year’s Eve dinner. But since we are all now retired, and forsake the Michigan winter cold for warm (usually) Florida, we changed it to May! Couples take turns hosting the party, and most of the menu. This year, our host ask me if I would make some Bento boxes for serving appetizers, since he was planning a Far East dinner.

So, I spent some of my precious modeling time and made up several proposals he could choose from (photo 1). Of course he chose the most elaborate one, the Pagoda.

Photo 2 displays the materials used; matt board for the body of the boxes, printed paper roofs, windows on label stock, red foam sheet and gold foil laminated paper from Michael’s Arts and Crafts. The foam (Photo 3) was for the 132 swoopie corners I would need. I made a jig to speed up that job as shown in photos 4 and5. The drill press did not turn, but applied enough pressure to cut the foam – a notch on one end, flip to the other guide and chop out the other. The ends were snipped with scissors because I couldn’t figure out a way to jig that.

So, I then had three boxes, with roofs, corners and bottoms that would hold some miniature spring rolls, a crab Rangoon, and a sample of baby pork ribs and sauce. (Photo 6).

Stacked, they made a Pagoda. At least my idea of a simple pagoda (photo 7). What is not shown is the formed wax paper liners for each that kept the food from soiling the insides.

And, for the record, photo 8 shows the needed 11, ready for filling and serving. Worked just fine, thank you!

Just as an afterthought, I like Michael’s Arts and Crafts. They have a lot of useful stuff, but I think their prices are mostly on the high side. For instance, the matt board at Michael’s was a little over $13 a sheet, but at a nearby book and art supply store, it was a just over $6 ! So, I always try to take one of Michael’s 40% off coupons with me when I shop there to even things out.
Attached Thumbnails
Is a Bento box a model?-pm1.jpg   Is a Bento box a model?-pm2.jpg   Is a Bento box a model?-pm3.jpg   Is a Bento box a model?-pm4.jpg   Is a Bento box a model?-pm5.jpg  

Is a Bento box a model?-pm6.jpg   Is a Bento box a model?-pm7.jpg   Is a Bento box a model?-pm8.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-26-2010, 10:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
It is today and they are very nice. It must be nice having that press to work with.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Excellent job. Agree with you about Michaels. No coupon - no go.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Absolutely formidable idea to offer something to eat with that original bento box... And adorable model.

I hope people understand the amount of dedication just to offer those apetizers.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Nice work!
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2010, 07:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I've designed earring boxes for a friend to give away as part of her business, and a jewelry box for my girlfriend. My opinion is if you made it, it's a model.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great stuff. I love the mass production aspect of it all. Jigs and rigs, that's the ticket!

Mike
Old 06-27-2010, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm flattered. And, ok, it is a model!

Bomarc, I was sure you would appreciate the jig. There were several more - for centering, locating the roofs, glueing the peak, and probably more. About as much work as making the model, but worth every minute!

Jim
Old 06-29-2010, 05:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.98 MB
Very nice work, congratualtions!