PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 07-23-2010, 02:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you for the tutorial ngwithrsd!!! I had a couple additional questions I was hoping you could answer:

1) How applicable is this to other more complex shapes. Could you forsee someone being able to do this rocket out of cans:
Tor.com / Science fiction and fantasy / Blog posts / Build your own Stubby paper rocket!

2) How dangerous is it working with the sharps edges. I know you put that you've been to the ER a couple times. Do you think someone could wear some cut proof gloves while doing it? I'm wondering how nimble and much feeling you need when working with it and if gloves would impede too much?

3) I see people making references to your website for other pictures. Could you share the address?

4) For your Soviet Coke plane did you just keep doing layers of pieces to get the lettering to work?

Again thanks for the tutorial! I'm really debating whether or not to try one, but I'm also thinking that with a 16 month old running around I'd have to find a protected secluded area to work on it.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyrum View Post
Thank you for the tutorial ngwithrsd!!! I had a couple additional questions I was hoping you could answer:

1) How applicable is this to other more complex shapes. Could you forsee someone being able to do this rocket out of cans:
Tor.com / Science fiction and fantasy / Blog posts / Build your own Stubby paper rocket!

2) How dangerous is it working with the sharps edges. I know you put that you've been to the ER a couple times. Do you think someone could wear some cut proof gloves while doing it? I'm wondering how nimble and much feeling you need when working with it and if gloves would impede too much?

3) I see people making references to your website for other pictures. Could you share the address?

4) For your Soviet Coke plane did you just keep doing layers of pieces to get the lettering to work?

Again thanks for the tutorial! I'm really debating whether or not to try one, but I'm also thinking that with a 16 month old running around I'd have to find a protected secluded area to work on it.
Lets see, I'll answer these one at a time:

1.) I think that the model you have shown is a unique build with some challenging curves, but I feel that it would still be possible to build with cans. Aluminum cans have some unique properties that are unlike paper models. Once you become familiar with how they bend and curve, many shapes are easily simulated.

2.) I abandoned the gloves along time ago. When working with cans, I found that although the edges can sometimes be hazardous to your fingers and hands, gloves simply don't allow you the dexterity to do most basic tasks. Experience will cut down on injuries and I sometimes just get careless and a new cut is a quick reminder of proceeding without regard.

3.) I will share the address with you via pm. The site is up but is undergoing a major overhaul and I am not comfortable releasing it to the public as of yet...

4.) For the Coke Mig, all of the lettering was done by cutting out only the white portions of caffeine free diet Pepsi and then using the paneling method to create a large workable surface. Then the letters and words were stenciled to the cans and cut out with a hobby knife letter by letter.

With regards to pets and small children, cleanup is a must since the small pieces of cut cans can cause considerable angst with just about everyone in the household!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:25 PM

I am still working on this tutorial and updates are due soon!

In the mean time, I wanted to post a picture of my aluminum can SR-71 on display at the recent IPMS Dragon Lady show in Yuba City, California. This model was designed by Mike Bauer and took 475 cans to complete. It ended up being six foot in length with a 3 foot wing span. I entered it into the "Wild" category thinking that perhaps it had a chance to win since it really epitomized what wild should be. In the end, sadly, it lost out to a retail purchased plastic B-1 Bomber painted with the Fruit Stripe bubble gum pattern. That to me seemed to be an injustice, that is until I stopped to think about what IPMS stands for. I guess no plastic = no win? Well the recycling value of my model was worth significantly more! Anyhow, here are the pictures:

Old 07-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Roy,
I believe as you it should have won. It goes to show that
the plastic modeling people are not ready to accept other
forms of modeling no matter what the merits....Ron
Old 07-27-2010, 07:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
If they are looking for plastic..Give it to them! Next time try entering something made out of plastic two liter soda bottles. :D
Google Adsense
Old 07-27-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStephens View Post
If they are looking for plastic..Give it to them! Next time try entering something made out of plastic two liter soda bottles. :D

Now there's the solution!:D:D:D
Old 07-27-2010, 10:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Sorry, to hear about the fruit stripes!

Enjoying this thread! Will be glad to see the finished B29!

Great work, great discussion of safety concerns, many, many comments on the little stuff that counts when doing one of these.

Hopefully all of the little secrets learned, haven't been paid for by needing more bandages!

All in all it is a caution for me when I try my next can model!

Easy to see you have been doing these for awhile!

Thank you for sharing your methods!

Best regards,
Mike Bauerr
Old 07-28-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Sorry, to hear about the fruit stripes!

Enjoying this thread! Will be glad to see the finished B29!

Great work, great discussion of safety concerns, many, many comments on the little stuff that counts when doing one of these.

Hopefully all of the little secrets learned, haven't been paid for by needing more bandages!

All in all it is a caution for me when I try my next can model!

Easy to see you have been doing these for awhile!

Thank you for sharing your methods!

Best regards,
Mike Bauerr
Its okay Mike. I wanted to win, but deep down I just knew that the powers that be would simply not allow it. Oh well, I still pride myself in the fact that I can build OUTSIDE of a box and that my works DON'T require any directions either! Take that, plastic purists!:D
Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
To us, you are the real winner. You sure have our strongest support as this can-building hobby really takes a master and lots of guts!! True grit!

Papermate
Old 07-29-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermate View Post
To us, you are the real winner. You sure have our strongest support as this can-building hobby really takes a master and lots of guts!! True grit!

Papermate

Thank you, Papermate! Thank you all!
Google Adsense