PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 08-25-2010, 05:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Yeah, what they all said! Very nice work all around. Wish I could get my Point and Shoots to work better at night for some astronomical shots. Even with a tripod they still lack quite a bit. Of course, I got spoiled with my old Nikon and Practica 35MM SLRs.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.06 GB
Thanks for the comments guys, it's great that so many others enjoy photography:D:D:D
Old 08-26-2010, 05:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
for those of you that haven't read them:
check out the books by Scott Kelly, lots of good tips and tricks
Old 08-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Mick...ain't nothing wrong with your shots, or it seems much I could teach you. 8v)

About the only thing I might suggest, is when you go to shoot, don't use any fully automatic setting on the camera. Most cameras which have a setting like that, use a P or a green square to indicate it.

For the most part, that settings selects a higher ISO (which introduces more noise into the image), and varying shutter/aperture combinations. If you have the ability to set your ISO, set it to the lowest possible setting (ISO 100 for example) and leave it there unless you need to boost it for low light. Also, if the camera allows for Aperture Priority shooting, use that and select an aperture your camera shoots the looking images at. I use f/8 as my Aperture Priority setting and then let the camera figure out the shutter speed. However, if I'm shooting something which I need a quicker shutter speed on, I'll switch over to Shutter Priority, and set it at 1/1000 a second.

I like Aperture Priority on days where the light changes frequently. It's always good to have the auto shutter selection if the sun goes behind a cloud as you're preparing to make the shot.

However, for the most part, where I live, the days are generally cloudless with lots of light. Because of that, I am able to shoot most of my images in Manual. I use the Sunny 16 Rule (read about it here) and set my camera to ISO 100, Shutter Speed 1/400 and Aperture f/8. When I shoot that way, which is most of the time, I set Aperture Priority to f/16 (for greater depth of field) and Shutter Priority remains at 1/1000 a second. I can switch back and forth between the different shooting style in flash and make the image I want.

By the way, one of the main reasons I shoot in Manual is because I get consistent color. The blue of the sky is the same in each image, the greens are the same (what greens I have in this desert environment), browns and grays all maintain the same hue, as long as the light remains the same. Makes processing my RAW image files a lot easier.

But the biggest thing about photography is just having fun. Shoot what you like and experiment with different settings. Digital photography allows you to shoot a hundred images of the same thing with different settings to see which work best for you and your camera.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.06 GB
Ash, as a fairly newcomer to photography i have used the auto settings quite a lot, but i am now venturing into shutter speeds, iso, apeture and all the others settings. Its fun finding out each setting, but i have anded up with more than one plain black or white picture:(, but i enjoy learning and am getting better slowly. I wish i had the opportunity to photograph the northern lights as you have, absolutely stunning.:D:D:D:D
Best wishes
Mick

Last edited by smyfe; 09-02-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Google Adsense
Old 09-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Mick...I'm glad you like my aurora shots. I always like shooting them, but don't often see them here. About 15 years ago, before I had a digital camera, I was shooting some aurora with a Nikon. What really surprised me was the lights were so strong, I was seeing them south of me. An unbelievable display.

Glad to see you're expanding your knowledge of your camera. The more you know about it and what it can do, the better your photography will get. One suggestion regarding your subjects. When I first started really learning photography, I would go out and experiment with settings and stuff and would mess up good photos with the experimentations.

I decided what I would do is shoot the scene as I would before, so I knew I would get the image, then I would experiment with different settings. That way, I had a comparison point and could see just what the 'experimental' settings did. It's not easy when shooting birds, bugs and other flying things, but any scene to compare helps.

Keep shooting and keep enjoying the hobby. 8v)
Old 09-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrunner View Post
Mick...I'm glad you like my aurora shots. I always like shooting them, but don't often see them here. About 15 years ago, before I had a digital camera, I was shooting some aurora with a Nikon. What really surprised me was the lights were so strong, I was seeing them south of me. An unbelievable display.

Glad to see you're expanding your knowledge of your camera. The more you know about it and what it can do, the better your photography will get. One suggestion regarding your subjects. When I first started really learning photography, I would go out and experiment with settings and stuff and would mess up good photos with the experimentations.

I decided what I would do is shoot the scene as I would before, so I knew I would get the image, then I would experiment with different settings. That way, I had a comparison point and could see just what the 'experimental' settings did. It's not easy when shooting birds, bugs and other flying things, but any scene to compare helps.

Keep shooting and keep enjoying the hobby. 8v)
Great advice here from our Ash. Digital photography is a lot of fun, especially with DSLR's - the one thing i miss most is the fun and anticipation of loading your 35mm film onto the reel and putting it into the tank in complete darkness - then the chemicals - then the darkroom... watching your prints come to life in the tray has that certain something It's a damn shame it's so expensive to get all the items required for the real film side of things. On saying all that, without Digital, alot of the items on this forum would not exist - Pictures are so much better than a great big write up.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Great shots there. Still learning on my DLSR so you give me a target to work towards.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
you've got some serious talent there, Mick! Bravo!

Wyvern
Old 10-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Mick - you have taken some great pictures there. Love the meercats!

I enjoy wildlife and birds as well. Also do quite a bit of train photography - trains and people I enjoy too..

Will post some of the latter..

Last edited by Kevin WS; 10-26-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Google Adsense