PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet > Paper Models in the Wild

Old 05-27-2021, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Groningen_Noord_Central_Station

There is a great antique looking paper model on this site:
https://www.groningerarchieven.nl/
NS Stations Groningen and Noord-Drenthe had the building plate made in 1996 by Buro Zomerdijk on the occasion of the centenary of the main station. Downloading was not possible at that time, the building plate was distributed via NS kiosks throughout the country.
This is the direct link to the paper model:
https://www.groningerarchieven.nl/images/blog/1536_6786_copyright-NS_Stations_Groningen_Noord_Drenthe_nieuw.pdf

If you enjoyed this paper model you can purchase more Dutch paper models with a Nautical (rather than a RailRoad) theme here:
https://www.worldofpaperships.nl
Netherlands paper models you can purchase are also available here:
https://www.peard.nl
You can also hire this designer to make architechtural paper models for you:
http://www.bouwplaat.nl/bouwplaten-maatwerk

It was a very exciting realization for me to discover that Japan is not the only country that has skilled paper model designers!
Of course the Dutch were very early European visitors to Japan and for a century had a monopoly on the Japan trade, so it is possible that is where the Dutch were introduced to paper modeling, and they brought the idea back to Europe. That was a long time ago, I wonder if there has been enough time for paper modeling to spread across Europe, perhaps now even as far as Eastern Europe? Wouldn't that be something!
Google Adsense
Old 05-27-2021, 12:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
John, you can also check out Home page - Uitgeverij Léon Schuijt Bouwplaten, BOUWPLATEN UITGEVERIJ SCALDIS, SCHAALBOUW home page and - Zeist Bouwplaten - Import, verkoop, ontwerp en productie van papieren schaalmodellen, maquettes en bouwplaten (cardmodels), Modelbouw, Rietveld cutoutmodels. These other Dutch sites just come to my mind and there are likely more. Paper modeling is endless.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 05-27-2021, 01:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Hi John, Maybe you should check whether things already have been mentioned here on the forum itself (-: It's the station of my home town and I already linked the model and made a thread of my build of it in a tiny scale back in 2019...

No worries though, I like to see it being made and my city's beautiful station being promoted! Its official name however, is "Groningen Centraal Station", but in Groningen everyone calls it "Hoofdstation". Groningen Noord is another station we have and it's a very little ugly concrete building which spans across a road and should be immediately forgotten. It's just butt-ugly.

The model isn't antique, though. The paper model has been designed and published in 1996 by appointment of the Dutch Railways (NS), and after it was sold out, the model was archived in the Groningen Archives. Because of the Hoofdstation being elected most beautiful railway station of the Netherlands in 2019 the Groningen Archives made a deal with the Dutch Railways to reissue the model digitally.

... Oh and just a reminder that the original model sheet was printed on light cardstock and measured 25x70 cm. (9,84251968503937 x 27,5590551181102 in freedom measures) When printed on A4 you will get in the ranges of 1/487 or thereabout.

The Groningen Archives (where your link goes to) is the regional archive institute. We keep provincial, municipal and other governmental archives there, as well as a very extensive photographic and film collection (celluloid, video and digital), a regional WW2 archive, maps, charters, books and audio material, spoken word as well as a genuine pop archive. And I am honoured to be working there. (-:
Old 05-28-2021, 03:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 680.51 MB
Hello

And maybe you can also find something on the site www:elfrink-bouwplaten.nl

regards
Old 05-29-2021, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
"The model isn't antique, though. The paper model has been designed and published in 1996 by appointment of the Dutch Railways (NS)"
Hi, thank you for the link-back to your original post.

Now that this great model has been double posted, I hope it will get a lot of attention from the members.

It is not an real antique, but the artist did a good job of capturing the look of late 19th c. paper models, and a completed model would not look out of place next to one of "pillpat's" (patricia m’s albums | Flickr) archived models.
I hope that some of the viewers here will start seriously fishing for paper models in the Netherland's internet sea, and post more of their catches here.
Google Adsense
Old 05-30-2021, 01:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Same here, John! (-:

As far as Dutch models go, there also are some free models to be grabbed here and there, on well-known sites like some birds at Johan Scherft's place, and some railway-related stuff at Schaalbouw.

Maybe new as a link here: two buses and one classic big white mansion from the Arnhem region over here at design studio dot by dot.