PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Paper Surgeon's projects

Old 05-11-2013, 03:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.35 MB
Human anatomy

Hello all,
I am a medical engineer who is compiling a new theory of human anatomical design. The new paradigm is based on the topology of the Moebius Band and the Klein Bottle.

Paper modelers of course should be familiar with the simple construction of the famous twisted paper loop. What I am proposing is to build up various components of human anatomy form from paper moebius loops. Two opposite twisted loops form a kleinbottle, which is a one sided suface that mathematicians claim cannot exist in 3D space. These mathematical oddities, however appear to be fundemental components of the human design.

My idea is to build up various forms, such as the hips for example. These designs would be painted as the corresponding anatomical components appear. There are several design challenges involved, such as double sided printing, and perplexing folding and gluing instructions... Anyone interested?!
Google Adsense
Old 05-11-2013, 05:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Hello Graig,
I had no idea what you where talking about.... A little reading in WikiPedia gave me some insight: This is mathematics way above my level.
Nor can I see how you want to form this into a paper human body.
Maybe you can show your effords and interest will grow.
Maybe even more if you start with the hips of... 'let's say Beyoncé or even Pamela A.

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 05-11-2013, 07:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
I am also intrigued but doubt if my building skills would be up to the challenge. Please continue with this work. I'd love to see where it's going.

Curt
Old 05-11-2013, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Interesting concept. I'm intrigued, can you elaborate further how they are fundamentals components of the human design? (My spatial awareness is better than my mathematics...).

Regards from a fellow South African

Niki
Old 05-11-2013, 08:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Interesting concept. There is a pdo of a Klein Bottle on the Pepakura website. Pepakura Gallery > No. 29 in the Japanese Users' works
Pepakura Designer
Google Adsense
Old 05-11-2013, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Just be careful that, when you build it, you don't disappear into another dimension like Number 86, the subway named Moebius.

Don (with apologies to A.J. Deutsch)
Old 05-11-2013, 03:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Just be careful that, when you build it, you don't disappear into another dimension like Number 86, the subway named Moebius.

Don (with apologies to A.J. Deutsch)
Well, at least the subway named Moebius finally returned. Remember Charlie, the man who rode the MTA, never to return:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VMSGrY-IlU

Garland
Old 05-22-2013, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponytail View Post
.... A little reading in WikiPedia gave me some insight: This is mathematics way above my level.
Nor can I see how you want to form this into a paper human body.
The moebius band is really best illustrated as a paper model. You simply cut a centimetre or two wide strip off a piece of paper, loop it to join the ends, then rotate the top end 180 degrees and glue flush. Done.

The mathematical description is a nightmare. Firstly the moebius paper strips appears to have two parallel edges everywhere. But trace the edge with a finger, and one discovers the edge is really one line. This renders all the "Euclidian'" geometry one learns (or doesn't learn) in school redundant. It is a fundamental observation that the moebius band is assembled from trapezoid shaped paper strips. A smooth moebius band CANNOT be constructed from parallelograms. Try it and see. That is the extent of the math knowledge required.

The school classroom, requires that paper be kept in its "flat" state, mainly so that it can be assembled in books or neat stacks of loose exam papers. There would be physical chaos if the whole class submitted their papers in the form of moebius bands! Hence the subtle potential of the moebius band is discounted early on in education.... including medical education.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:57 AM

Superficial muscles of human leg

Here are the first pictures of the moebius bands that are the 'anatomical formers' for the real human leg architecture.
Attached Thumbnails
Human anatomy-leg-muscles-basic-moebius-form-small-.jpg  
Old 08-06-2013, 01:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 209.22 MB
Hello ContourCraig,

you wrote about a new philosophy in demonstrating muscles as a model. Can you explain why this is needed? Or what kind of advantages you get with your approach (in teaching anatomy or something else)? Or it is a game, what can be done with paper...

Greetings
peaceglue

Tags
human anatomy, klein bottle, moebius band