PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Papierschnitzel's Projects

Old 08-07-2017, 05:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzwurm View Post
Very interesting small boats. I think that your designed boat also from wood will be really nice.
The last pics show the medium boats. I will show pics of the small boats for comparison soon :-)

I have been working on the adaptation of the stern section. Clare gave me lots of feedback and that was one I thought I wouldn't incorporate (mostly due to paper layout size). But for the big boats I found that it could work.

So I started extending the rear section and found that the curving in the existing geometry was too narrow. The final rear plane looked wrong.

I then started a full rework of the big boat geometry during the last days and ended up with this result that I found much better looking.

As shown in the pic, I will make an easy version where the details of the rudder "box" are just hinted at with texturing and also a full detailed version, where you cut out and add a rudder part.

Hoping to have a textured test very soon :-)
Old 08-09-2017, 03:27 AM

Completed the adaptation of the big boats hull and started the texturing. This is a look at the easy stern version. The detailed will come next when I build the pointed bow one.

I then started to redo the super structure. The first try was just a quick thrown together sketch. This time I gave it more thought about how it could be built easy yet sturdy. Might need some final tweaks but I am happy for now.

Here is a little preview of the white version (plus the full fleet ; small boats also completed btw) Should leave enough space for your Samurai army on deck!
Old 08-09-2017, 07:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It is an impressive fleet.

Don
Old 08-20-2017, 02:05 AM

I have finished the texturing of the big boat super structure. So here is the first build of the atakebune version (blunt bow):

Take it all apart (for storage or interior play)

The mast is removable. Here I inserted it in "sailing position". Unfortunately I have not found much details on sails and rigging. Once I do I can add some pages for that ...

Underside of the deck. I have added support for the deck curving and these "bags" that will hold the mast holders at the right depth and position (if you don't glue them on). Also the house and stair section could be made removable if required).

Now I need to work on the weathering/dirt layers and build the sekibune (pointed bow) version :-)
Old 08-20-2017, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's beautiful!

Don
Google Adsense
Old 08-23-2017, 10:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
Chris, those look great. I love the detailing you've been doing! The deck planking on the large Atakebune looks particularly nice.

Blog: shipmodeler.wordpress.com
Old 08-24-2017, 06:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Great Models!

Osprey Books published several books on Asian ships:
Fighting Ships of the Far East (2),Japan and Korea AD 612–1639
and
Pirate of the Far East 811-1639
They should have some information about sails.
I don't think you would go wrong if you rigged your ships like a junk.
The Korean Movie "The Admiral, Roaring Currents ( 명량)" has scenes with a Japanese fleet under sail.

Last edited by John Wagenseil; 08-24-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:36 AM

I have the Fighting Ships (2) and unfortunately I have not found any usable pictures for the rigging. I might check out the Japanese Cultural Institute. I remember some 30 years ago they had a huuuge library on Origami. Maybe they have more info on the ships :-)

In the meantime I am working on the dirt/weathering layer and have built a pointed bow (sekibune version) big hull.

And here with some Samurai on deck ... and some lost Rohan troops!

This is how I patch the parts together to form the huge hull. With the super structure on, you don't really see it, but I have tried to make the hull come together as seamless as possible.

And here a view of the bow and stern section of the hull ...

This time I built the hull with the rudder box. For comparison also the easy version.

Now I am waiting for my freshly printed dirty version to dry and then I can build that! :-)
Old 08-24-2017, 10:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
Hi Chris, I doubt that you'll find that anybody knows anything about Japanese ships, unless they've actually studied them. Makes it really hard to find information.

One thing for certain, absolutely NOT junk rigged.

The rigging on atakebune was probably very simple. I'm guessing that the rig of later coastal transports was probably pretty much the same. If you look up the term bezaisen or sengokubune, you should find some information.

Blog: shipmodeler.wordpress.com
Old 08-24-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catopower View Post
Hi Chris, I doubt that you'll find that anybody knows anything about Japanese ships, unless they've actually studied them. Makes it really hard to find information.

One thing for certain, absolutely NOT junk rigged.

The rigging on atakebune was probably very simple. I'm guessing that the rig of later coastal transports was probably pretty much the same. If you look up the term bezaisen or sengokubune, you should find some information.
Thanks Clare, much appreciated!
Google Adsense