PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Papierschnitzel's Projects

Old 07-30-2019, 09:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
Another suggestion -- for tropical "plantation houses" (sugar, banana, pineapple, etc.) use a rusty corrugated metal texture for the roofs. Hawaiian "company towns" resembled "Old West" false front buildings, but usually with those "tatung" roofs, wide "lanai" porches and post foundations to protect against voracious subterranean termites. Similar homes and commercial buildings can be found across the South Pacific, Southeast Asia, the Caribbean, Central and South America. Plenty of wargaming options, from WWII Pacific Theater, revolutions and coups, to even modern drug wars.

David T. Okamura
Old 07-30-2019, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dto View Post
Another suggestion -- for tropical "plantation houses" (sugar, banana, pineapple, etc.) use a rusty corrugated metal texture for the roofs. Hawaiian "company towns" resembled "Old West" false front buildings, but usually with those "tatung" roofs, wide "lanai" porches and post foundations to protect against voracious subterranean termites. Similar homes and commercial buildings can be found across the South Pacific, Southeast Asia, the Caribbean, Central and South America. Plenty of wargaming options, from WWII Pacific Theater, revolutions and coups, to even modern drug wars.

David T. Okamura

A metal roof version shouldn't be a problem. In my mind I have not gone to the "future" of the present time yet but it sounds like a great idea! I like the many options it opens up!!!
Old 07-30-2019, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revell-Fan View Post
Wow, there are so many opportunities for these! Great idea and awesome work, mate (as always ).
I meant "possibilities", of course..!
Old 08-01-2019, 12:44 AM

Here are a couple of pics from the first (yet unweathered so unnaturally clean looking builds).

This is a rustic, plain wood only version ...

... and a coloured version.

Next up are interior walls and weathering to make the village look old, used and lived in!

Chris
Old 08-01-2019, 09:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Both styles make an attractive visual on the game table.
Google Adsense
Old 08-01-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
Both styles make an attractive visual on the game table.
I got inspired to make the colorful version by stumbling over the very colorful architecture of the Caribbean islands. I have no idea what a real Pirate village would look like, but I imagined it would be a run down and dirty version of these.

Of course when I get a lot of feedback now that many prefer the plain version for their gaming needs I am glad I have option layers so that one can turn on and off what one needs :-) and - who knows - maybe some will discover gaming scenarios where the color option will become a thing again!

Anyway ... back to WIP. Here a some pics of weathered and interior build.

First is an overview of the weathering layers.

On the left you have the clean original. In the mid you have regular weathering with scratches, dirt and sun-bleach at the bottom. And on the right you have another option to add moss or plants for humid and swampy settings.

Comparison of clean and weathered version. The dirty one is a light color version. You also get to peek inside now :-) For this build I just cut out the door and window frame space and will add actual door and window shutters as extra pieces for open version.

Here's an overview of the open veranda extension layout showing the interior wall texture.

I think I will rework the roof texture as the scaling of the detail seems to large. And then I can start adding some optional details for the walls, like treasure maps etc.

Chris
Old 08-02-2019, 12:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
That looks great!
Old 08-02-2019, 04:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Lookin' good so far.

Here is something to consider:
https://www.stocksy.com/es/2125988/t...ropical-island
Old 08-02-2019, 06:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Brilliant little models. You mention layers - will there be non-layered files too ? I use an Android tablet and the Adobe reader for Android does not handle layered files.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
Beautiful work! The attractive part of this project is that once you have the basic structures, you could release different variations every quarter for at least the next couple years! As I said earlier, there are many places and eras for these shacks. Also consider an add-on set with glass-paned windows (washed, dirty and cracked/broken), shutters and stovepipes for a slightly more "civilized" shantytown.

David T. Okamura
Google Adsense