PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Papierschnitzel's Projects

Old 12-16-2020, 12:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damraska View Post
After making my previous post I browsed through all 1,111 offerings in the 3D Cut-N-Fold category at DriveThruRPG. :o

Many of the things I suggested already exist but I noticed some interesting trends.

Almost every model was designed for very low skill builders. That makes me sad because simple lamination techniques will turn almost any simple building model into a pretty darn realistic one.

As best I can tell, very few buildings offer interiors. If I was gaming, I would want buildings with removable levels and roofs. Papierschnitzel definitely got that right with his designs.

Every model was designed for 28mm fantasy gaming. While that makes sense on a website aimed at that genre, many of the models would work great at 1/35 scale--the standard for military modeling--or 1/144 scale--a popular scale for military wargaming. If I was designing models, I would make them accessible to a wide variety of customers.

Water mills are not terribly popular. I only found two. :o

Churches are popular. I found at least a dozen of those.

I really liked Papierschnitzel's ship models.

No one offers dedicated 3D foliage packs including bushes, hedges, and trees. A few extremely simplistic 2D examples exist. One person offered a dead tree in 3D but it looked extremely boxy and difficult to build. One person offered a more organic 3D tree design but it looked rather terrible.

The vast majority of fantasy village buildings use the exact same architecture--white walls, wood cross bracing, some rough stone accents, and a brownish red tile roof. I enjoy that look but goodness gracious, where is the architectural variety and paint? Everything is so drab! Black, Green, orange, red, yellow, and white pigments are very easy to come by in pre-modern times. Elves can grind up some of those blue and purple crystals they always sport and make some paint! Sheesh. Again, I think Papierschnitzel is on the right track, offering buildings in some different architectural styles.

Where are the beautiful elven buildings?

I found very few buildings for gaslight era gaming.

I would offer sets of beds, books, bookshelves, chairs, tables, cabinets, and other furniture from every era from Roman times to gaslight. Yes, I know such accessories already exist but that is the point. The person decorating a gaming space always needs more variety of 'dungeon dressing'. Always.

Treasure chests! Our fantasy realms need lots more treasure chests and coin piles and loot!

Umm, tapestry, anyone? How about some throw rugs to liven up the place.

If I had room to store 1/35 scale buildings I would be dangerous. :/

Dave has a lot of buildings that aren't half-timbered and white, DriveThruRPG.com - Dave Graffam Models - The Largest RPG Download Store!

Glenn has few that are half-timbered and white, DriveThruRPG.com - Finger and Toe Models - The Largest RPG Download Store!

For elven, DriveThruRPG.com - Lord Zsezse Works - The Largest RPG Download Store!

Kris has a lot of those details you were looking for, DriveThruRPG.com - Crooked Staff Publishing - The Largest RPG Download Store!

And OneMonk Downloads has probably more than you can ever use, onemonk.com
Old 12-16-2020, 12:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Man, that's a lot of great feedback!

Sporticus, you can just get the basic sets. Together you will have all options of the deluxe edition. If you want to get the deluxe edition from the Gumroad shop eMail me and maybe we can work something out via paypal.

Damraska, some of the things you mentioned I have planned like a well, archery targets and similar. Other things I have to see how I can incorporate them into my to-do lists. It is not so short already But that is OK!

I have a concept for vegetation but have not yet found the time to reach a level of texturing that I am happy with. But I hope I can get there some day as I think it's a great idea I had for this type of terrain.

Thank you for the great feedback!

My biggest problem is that everything takes more time than I have planned. Also I want stuff to look really good so I might go a bit overboard on developing textures/painting. But I got a very long list of things I want to do so I'll just keep busy and work on releasing new sets every month.

Maybe one day I can afford someone to focus on promotion on Social Media. That also cuts into my crafting time quite much.

Chris
Old 12-16-2020, 01:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Ah, Ok thanks. what is the difference between the basic and deluxe sets then?
Old 12-16-2020, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
Thank you, Vermin_King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Dave has a lot of buildings that aren't half-timbered and white, DriveThruRPG.com - Dave Graffam Models - The Largest RPG Download Store!
Dave Graffam Models offers a lot of nice items including a couple buildings with interiors that currently reside in my cart. I really appreciate that he offers many of his models with multiple options and/or in Photoshop format.

Quote:
Finger and Toe Models also offers a few gaslight era buildings, some with interiors.

Quote:
I saw these! On the one hand, he has some really lovely artwork on the buildings, especially the arches and scroll work. On the other, the buildings all look boxy. I envision eleven architecture as curvaceous and well kept with sweeping lines. He does offer an elven water mill! That makes three.

Quote:
Kris has a lot of those details you were looking for, DriveThruRPG.com - Crooked Staff Publishing - The Largest RPG Download Store!
I missed these and most of the interesting items are pay-what-you-want! Even still, these only scratch the surface of the possible.

Quote:
And OneMonk Downloads has probably more than you can ever use, onemonk.com
Oh, great. I needed a ... sharktapus? Whoa. Also, I like your Venus Fly Trap creature.

Last edited by Damraska; 12-16-2020 at 02:08 PM. Reason: I am stupids.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papierschnitzel View Post
Damraska, some of the things you mentioned I have planned like a well, archery targets and similar. Other things I have to see how I can incorporate them into my to-do lists. It is not so short already But that is OK!

I have a concept for vegetation but have not yet found the time to reach a level of texturing that I am happy with. But I hope I can get there some day as I think it's a great idea I had for this type of terrain.

Thank you for the great feedback!
You are very welcome, good sir! My apologies for making your To Do list longer but I did put a couple of your models in my cart.

I have not looked at card model role playing stuff in ... 15 years? My last purchase was Chunky Dungeons back in the Cretaceous or something like that. Who knows, maybe I will build some homes for all the miniatures sitting in boxes that I never painted? (In a very strange synchronicity, I purchased a bunch of paint for said miniatures just last night after discovering them languishing in a dresser drawer three days ago.)
Google Adsense
Old 12-16-2020, 02:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I barely scratched the surface, sir. If you have a hard time finding something you need, message me and I can probably point you in the right direction.

You should seriously go to Chris's pages, especially his Patreon. His Basic Bits are terrific. He did an especially great job on the boats and oriental subjects.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporticus View Post
Ah, Ok thanks. what is the difference between the basic and deluxe sets then?

The deluxe has all the options on layer, so you can configure how you like. Also sometimes there are exclusive goodies added.

The basic editions are preconfigured to just print and build. I made them for people reporting their PDF app didn't have layer support.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks. I'd like to be able to have the variation given by changing the layers so will try the website again with different computer maybe.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:44 AM

I have been looking at the feedback and have some questions now

How does reed look different to thatched roof? Is it more brownish than golden yellow?

I have made a couple of crates and boxes already but I can make a grain ark in the future. Is there any specific design that is requested? I have found a couple of images on the net, ranging from simple wood look to ones with very nice carvings.

I agree that most papermodels in the Tabletop community are on the very easy-to-build side. I try to make mine so that you can start with an easy build and also add options to make the model more detailed and beautiful. In my experience there is a big skill gap between papercrafters here and in the tabletop gaming community. Some love to go full detail but many just want to slap together some buildings/terrain fast and easy. Both is OK with me

BTW I am working on the next building in this series: the long hall!

Here are a couple of pics of the white test prototypes. The core building will be 9x5" base size. There will be modules to extend the house in all directions. And I have worked on making some small and large dormer roof/extension connection.

I will show textured test builds very soon!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Going Norse to meet some Vikings and Saxons!-dsc02351.jpg   Going Norse to meet some Vikings and Saxons!-dsc02353.jpg   Going Norse to meet some Vikings and Saxons!-dsc02526.jpg   Going Norse to meet some Vikings and Saxons!-dsc02527.jpg  
Old 01-21-2021, 02:48 AM

Here's a look at the first textured test build. I have the exterior of the core building done ... and made a lot of options. If you want a more historically accurate version you can skip them. Most of what I found in research was very plain. But options like knotwork ornaments and shields and axes make for interesting visual details ... even if its fantasy.

I also used my fantasy Viking "totem poles" to embellish the entrances

Next I need to work on all the extension modules! That's where the modularity will kick in.
Attached Thumbnails
Going Norse to meet some Vikings and Saxons!-dsc02557.jpg   Going Norse to meet some Vikings and Saxons!-dsc02558.jpg  
Google Adsense