PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quick-and-dirty Gemini 6 build....

I'll try to post some photos tonight, but I got to thinking that for the IPMS contest this Saturday, it would be cool to have a 1/48th-scale Gemini sitting next to my 1/48th-scale Orion so people could compare the size between the two. The Gemini wouldn't be meant for competition. So I printed out one of Dan Shippey's (Delta 7 Studios) 1/24th-scale Gemini models -- in this case, Gemini 6 -- and headed down to Kinko's and printed it out at 50 percent to make it 1/48th scale.

I intended to do a quick-and-dirty OOB, or "out of the box" build (perhaps we card modelers should say "OTS" for "off the sheet") but I wound up deviating from the instructions in a couple of areas to improve the build. (And a note to Paper Kosmonaut: as a nod to you and your fine work, I built the "Beat Army" version of Schirra's GTA6.)

Anyway, I spent a couple of hours on it last night and an hour or so on it this morning before heading out to work. It's done. But when I held it up to the Orion, the Gemini capsule looked so small. I thought, "That can't be right. The machine at Kinko's has to be off or something."

But I checked the dimensions for both spacecraft on Astronautix.com and, sure enough, it was right. One telling fact: The Gemini capsule and its adapters were 18.6' long -- and each UltraFlex Solar Array "fan" on Orion is over 18' in diameter. So the Gemini capsule is basically as long as each UFSA is wide.

It should make a nice display at the contest, but I worry that people will look at it and have the same reaction I did: "Something's off."

I would've built an Apollo CSM (since Orion is often referred to as "Apollo on steroids") but I figured the Gemini would be a quicker build.

Anyway, I've got to do a quick base tonight, and then I'll try and post some photos.
Google Adsense
Old 09-23-2010, 10:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
I always thought the Gusmobile was a better spacecraft than Apollo. At least most 1st generation astronauts agree. It took advantage of the Apollo developments but was built like a fighter plane instead of a truck. Thus it is the right choice for comparison, as far as I'm concerned. A good idea, too, to give a comparison.
Just put a card next to it that they really *do* are in the same scale. Explains it all.

...And the Beat army sign gives the whole capsule just that little 'spark' it deserves, isn't it? (-;

For the rest I'd say: Go!
Old 09-23-2010, 01:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Is there any problems with the ink falling off the paper when folded when you print it at Kinko's? I know this is a problem using home laser printers. I haven't tried commercial printers and was just wondering. I have a LOT of CT Ertz's ironclads to remake and I'm not too happy with the colors my home dot matrix printer puts out.

Please take some photos of your Gemini, it was also is one of my favorite spaceships.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
Is there any problems with the ink falling off the paper when folded when you print it at Kinko's? I know this is a problem using home laser printers. I haven't tried commercial printers and was just wondering. I have a LOT of CT Ertz's ironclads to remake and I'm not too happy with the colors my home dot matrix printer puts out.

Please take some photos of your Gemini, it was also is one of my favorite spaceships.
I haven't noticed any ink-falling-off issues with stuff I've photocopied or enlarged or shrunk at Kinko's. I usually use the self-service machines, and they do a good enough job. If you want the best job, though, have the folks do it on their machines behind the counter. They're just a lot better. Might cost a little extra, though.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Thanks for the info, I will give them a try. Now get back to work so you can convert those plastic modelers into paper modelers! Viva the Revolution!
Google Adsense
Old 09-23-2010, 02:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Awesome, David... But aren't you forgetting something?

Like, um....

PHOTOS!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
LOL...I would like to see the "Quick Build" photos also please.

I would imagine a Dave Hanners "quick build" will still far out-shine my best-ever build (gluey sausage fingers), but I always learns something new and inspiring. Let's see them please...Oh the anticipation.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the kind words, but you folks shouldn't dis your own great works, which have long inspired me.

Anyway, where are the photos. The first one is of the build, with an equally quick-and-dirty stand I built from black foam-core board. I may come up with something better, though.

The second one is the Gemini next to the Orion, and as you can see, our early astronauts had quarters that were quite cramped....

The final two photos show something I added to Orion last week. The drawings I've seen of Orion show six structures around the Service Module; I think they have something to do with how the SM is attached to its launch vehicle. I think. Anyway, I laminated three pieces of a dark-shaded metal paper, cut out thin strips, scored them in the right places and glued them into triangles. Then I glued smaller pieces inside. I also wound up doing this to my 1/96th-scale Orion and Orion Deep Space Vehicle. Except they were smaller and I used laminations that were only two sheets thick.

The problem now, though, is that it has been raining for a full day here and is very HUMID (so humid the smoke detector has gone off) and the silver metallic paper I used for the UltraFlex Solar Arrays is warping a bit. I hope the humidity goes down by Saturday....
Attached Thumbnails
Quick-and-dirty Gemini 6 build....-gem1.jpg   Quick-and-dirty Gemini 6 build....-gem2.jpg   Quick-and-dirty Gemini 6 build....-gem3.jpg   Quick-and-dirty Gemini 6 build....-gem4.jpg  
Old 09-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Hey..... You came up trumps with this my friend ! Very nice indeed - Your speed and quality really does you proud sir Hope the humidity drops and things go well for you.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 72.31 MB
Go down to michaels ( or your local craft store) get a cannister of Silica gel and a large plastic storage bin
dump the cannister in the bottom of the bin.
and place the models in the bin and close the lid.
The moisture in the paper and in the air in the box will be absorbed by the silica gel.
They should be nice and dry in time for the show
Google Adsense