PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-27-2010, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Got some work done on the smaller instrument boom today. I decided to replace all the "bigger" struts with brass, since I was doing that already with most of it. Only the small ones on the instrument booms will remain in paper.
I must say using these rods on the model makes it a lot more realistic. I use two thicknesses: 1.24 and 0.83 millimeters. The smaller of the two I used for the shunt radiator (the square white surface on the injection stage structure underneath), the dish attachment ring and the superstructure with the secondary mirror upon the dish itself.
Today most of the time was spent on the instrument boom. First the stucture at the main body. I was very pleased with the result.
The more thing-a-ma-jigs are getting their place upon this probe, the more real it gets. The instruments on the boom are very tiny, just about the smallest I think I can handle.
Still, all parts are easily cut and folded out of the 200 grams paper I use.

Here's some pics of what I did today.
Attached Thumbnails
Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-16.jpg   Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-17.jpg   Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-18.jpg   Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-19.jpg   Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-20.jpg  

Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-21.jpg   Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-22.jpg   Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-23.jpg   Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-24.jpg  
Old 11-28-2010, 11:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quite outstanding work on this build!

I love the way the struts came out, very nicely done, PK!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 11-29-2010, 02:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Just beautiful! Your work is amazing with such tiny details. When you are finished that model will be a real jewel.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 24.44 MB
Don't know if you've seen this photo of the Solar System taken by Voyager 1 Feb 14, 1990. This was one of the APOD pix of the day a few years ago. Maybe not a great backdrop for your model, but an interesting view anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-ssportrait_vg1_big-1-.jpg  
Old 11-29-2010, 10:47 AM

Thanks, friends. At the moment I work on the instrument package at the end of the aforementioned instrument boom. Millions of small loose parts and boxes to be put in a 4 cubic centimeter space. Fun! Fun! Arrrgh! Pics follow soon.

and Daedalus, FYI, The backdrop's going to be the famous Pale Blue Dot photograph. Perhaps a little enhanced, maybe not. Parts of the Gerrit Krol Poem will be placed around the picture frame sides.
Google Adsense
Old 11-29-2010, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.90 MB

Kosmonaut Hi!

Congratulations to the model. Small, detailed fine jewelry.
I'm curious about the diorama. Voyager favorite for me.

Good work!
Merzo

Old 11-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Beautiful work! Ton's designs are intricate as published - congrats on doing it justice at half size.
Yogi
Old 11-30-2010, 06:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Very good work so far.

I've considered rescaling Ton's Voyager so I could use the great laser-cut instrument and magnetometer booms that come with Space Craft International's Voyager model (the two are in different scales) and therefore have the best of both worlds. Although I have both models, I never got around to building it, but plan to. Watching your build is an inspiration.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:00 AM

A lasercut boom would be a very nice addition indeed, Dave. In this size it is too small to even consider it being cut open... However, a lot of the framework can be done in paper. The reason I chose for brass doesn't make Ton's lattucework any worse!
Time for an update. First the big instrument package at the end of the smaller boom. A couple of cameras, scopes and light intensity measuring equipment. It went together like a dream. That's where you can recognise a good kit: it just fits, whatever size. Up til now they all do, so a big big thanks and thumbs up to all you designers out there. I really love your skills.

I used a drill bit (as Ton suggested) for the necessary support during the construction. When it came to rolling a paper dowel to insert, I turned to toothpicks. Drilled a hole in the side of the first bit, and in the top of the other one. Inserted a piece of brass rod and lo, a finished instrument pack. Looks the part, I am happy.

Now then, the ... eh.. Radio-isotope Thermo-electric generator hangs on a big piece of framework. It also has to hold the Big Boom. So a sturdy frame is not a luxury. I hope the Radio-Isotope Thermo-electric generator itself also comes out fine. That's the next hurdle I've got to take.

What I like most of this particular build is that I used to look at photos of Voyager and it almost looked an inextricable contraption. Frames all over the place, instruments on all protrusions. Now when building this marvellous probe, everything becomes clear. You even get to learn where which instrument is and what it does. Perhaps that's one of the aspects of what I seem to enjoy in building models and which I was not aware of actually enjoying so much.

Enough talk. Now here's a couple of images of what I did today. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-25.jpg   Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-26.jpg   Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-27.jpg   Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-28.jpg   Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-29.jpg  

Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-30.jpg   Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-31.jpg   Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-32.jpg   Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-33.jpg   Ton Nooteboom's Voyager in 1/48-voyager-1-34.jpg  

Old 11-30-2010, 03:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.90 MB

Excellent! I like it! Detailed!

Good work! Merzo

Google Adsense