PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-20-2010, 03:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370

Hi, friends.
Even though I still am working on Voyager 1, I suddenly got an irrepressible itch to do an inbetweenie.
I have always considered the SA-5 Saturn 1 the prettiest of all the rockets ever flown. I guess the sensual curves of the interstage, the sharp black cone and the overall look of the Saturn 1 first stage is making it just... well... kind of feminine, actually. In fact it was the first paper model I made, a little more than one year ago now. Well, anyway, I wanted to remake this rocket but not again like the static 1/96th model I have on my shelf.

So what else to do than take it into my regular habit of microscopical copying and making a staging display? I reduced it down to 1/370th. (I actually succeeded in back-measuring the size, what about that, Yogi? )
The first stage and some of the interstage is ready, tomorrow I'll try and make the first stage. The model is by Christopher Davis, by the way.
As usual, I am driving myself crazy to try and get as much detail in this little beauty as is (im)possible. So far, so good. Take a magnifying glass and have a look.
Attached Thumbnails
An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-sa5-1-370-01.jpg   An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-sa5-1-370-02.jpg   An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-sa5-1-370-03.jpg   An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-sa5-1-370-04.jpg   An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-sa5-1-370-05.jpg  

An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-sa5-1-370-06.jpg   An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-sa5-1-370-07.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-20-2010, 03:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Paper, again, you impress the heck out of me!

I will gladly watch this build thread.

Mike
Old 11-20-2010, 05:30 PM

"The first stage and some of the interstage is ready, tomorrow I'll try and make the first stage."
yeah.right.

Was I speaking in tongues? Did working in these small measurements finally get me? I meant of course to say that the second stage is ready. But I guess that was apparent from the pics.

& Thanks Mike!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
It's nice to see this one being built, it's one of my favorites, too. And once again, I'm astounded at the detail you are able to add on such small models. The space savings for display must be great, too. My models are behemoths that demand all of my available space. (Working in 1/24 scale will do that.)
And I know how you feel -- all of my models are inbetweenies. I have a tendency to juggle three or four builds at once to keep myself occupied. (I'm working on Voyager, Ulysses, and CONTOUR all at the same time, for example.)
Old 11-20-2010, 11:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 405.07 MB
beautiful idea...

How do you reduce the original model on 1/96 scale to 1/370 th ???

What index do you use with the photocopier ?

I'am waiting the continued ....

thanks
Google Adsense
Old 11-21-2010, 02:43 AM

Jean, I never use copyshops. Only if I have to print something on an A3. Which practically is never. I usually just print them at home on 200 grams paper. The original PDF file consists of huge JPEGs and I didn't want to tinker with the size of these files, so what I did was as follows: First I made a new PDF of the sheets, adding three more 1st stage tank pages, otherwise you have to print this page four separate times. Now it's included in the PDF itself.

My printer allows me to print more than one document page per A4 sheet. I tested this option for 16 pages per sheet and made a quick testprint on regular paper.
This was good, though it was only about 8% of the original size. (the JPEGs in the original PDF all are about 10.000 x 6.875 pixels so it's not a resize measured from an A4 but of these JPEGs!) Only thing was I didn't like the space between the pages so I changed the option to 9 pages per sheet but kept the 8% size.

Afterwards I measured the engine base with an precision measurement tool and compared that via this converter to the original size. It was closest to 1/370 because I like round numbers. Perhaps it is 1/371,09843 or so, but 370 is close enough.
I added a screenshot of the printer window for clarity, even though its in Dutch. The most important is "Vergroot/verklein" (enlarge, scale down) and "Afbeeldingen per pagina" (pages per sheet).
(by the way, I have a Mac, perhaps it looks and works different with a PC and with another printer.)
Attached Thumbnails
An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-schermafbeelding-2010-11-21-om-09.27.46.jpg  
Old 11-21-2010, 05:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 405.07 MB
Very good explanations, clear and seeming easy.....I shall try with my HP printer. Many tnx !
Old 11-21-2010, 08:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Way cool!

Looking forward to seeing more.
Thanks for the explanation on how you print multiple sheets per page...I've been doing it manually, with PSE, repositioning the paper in the printer and on the print preview, but I'll have to see whether this method is available with my printer, sure would save time!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 11-21-2010, 09:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.90 MB

Kosmonaut Hi!

Congrats on the idea.

Rocket really interesting. Strange sight in low bench beneath the launch. The scale is a major challenge, but you, as I see, you'll win

Hint: The little one is easier to create sheet metal nozzle. Is not flexible and does not jump from the vessel. Loctite, glue & paint)

PS: (You're wet orbital workshop builds on 1968 research data when it encounters this

Thought alarm but there is no accurate data, and plan!

Good work!

Merzo

Old 11-22-2010, 02:56 AM

Here's an update I couldn't do yesterday. I had high hopes in finishing this little bugger on sunday but even though I got quite far, there's still some work to be done. The detailing went a bit further than expected.

It's time for the the tanks of the first stage. I rolled them by first curving them over a small ballpoint pen and next around a knitting needle. It produced a tight, neat curve and it went together very easily. Before i knew I had a cutting mat which looked like the factory hall of the Chrysler plant in the mid-sixties.
While that dried, I tweaked the interstage a little bit by cutting out the black shapes and leaving a bit of material under it for attachment to the ring adapter. I glued these bits into the shape of the ring and I used a handy coney thing I had lying around for getting it into shape.

The tanks went on the core and I started working on the base of the first stage. Here's to be seen what idiocy I produce. neatly cutting microscopic glue strips. Quick! Where's the straitjacket?! Aargh! Luckily the aerodynamic ring around the base and the tanks was easier to cut.

Unfortunately I had some difficulties due to the thickness of the paper I use. It should go together tightly but didn't fit very well. the original 8% was a bit too tight because the tank tubes were a bit thicker and the 9% was way to big. In the end I used the 9% but cut a bit out to make it snug.

The interstage ring also was just a bit to small so I ran another ring with just a little wider diameter around its outside and lo and behold, it fitted like a charm.
Then I tried and do the small yellow antenna bits around the upper side of the first stage. I used single layers, the kit tells you to glue two parts together for thickness but this was just a bit too small. I coloured the back of the paper and try and cut out the triangular shapes. A lot of tremendously meticulous coordination but I managed to get them all upon the rocket.

The last pic shows the SA5 where I am now, together with her big 1/96 sister.
Final stages today.
Attached Thumbnails
An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-sa5-1-370-08.jpg   An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-sa5-1-370-09.jpg   An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-sa5-1-370-11.jpg   An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-sa5-1-370-10.jpg   An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-sa5-1-370-12.jpg  

An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-sa5-1-370-13.jpg   An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-sa5-1-370-14.jpg   An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-sa5-1-370-15.jpg   An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-sa5-1-370-16.jpg   An inbetweenie: Saturn SA-5 in 1/370-sa5-1-370-17.jpg  

Google Adsense