PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Another 1,235 possible planets

The Kepler space telescope's first big data dump has been released. Potentially 1,235 new planets in the data.

Briefs are at the Kepler web site: NASA - Kepler

Anybody up for a mass Kepler project? Build NASA's easy model (detailed and upgraded if you like) and pass it on to your local library, school teacher, etc. Model at: Universe Spacecraft Paper Models - NASA Science

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 02-05-2011, 07:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
Anybody up for a mass Kepler project? Build NASA's easy model (detailed and upgraded if you like) and pass it on to your local library, school teacher, etc. Model at: Universe Spacecraft Paper Models - NASA Science

Yogi
I was eye-fondling my copy just yesterday after I heard about the announcement, thinking it would be my next card build after the 1/1000 VAB I'm working on.

I'd love to join a group build, but I doubt I'd want to part with the model after I finished it. Just don't have your genuine altruism, Yogi. What you do with your completed projects is outstanding!

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)
Old 02-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Eternal Member

Les, if you make two you can still keep one. Pass on the prototype (small humans won't notice/care about a few minor fit issues or "test" bits) and keep your final master-work ...

BTW: Kepler is much easier to make/detail in 1:24 scale. Why I ever started out on this 1:48 kick is beyond me.

Pix when I get a base ready.

Yogi
Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Eternal Member

Stock and a half Kepler

So far - still need to pick up some MDF for the bases (smoother surface works better than particle board or wood/plywood to attach the printed graphic; no grain print-through).

Another 1,235 possible planets-kepler24.jpg

Another 1,235 possible planets-p2080482.jpg

The original model is an easy build. Build notes:
- The mirror assembly is overly complex (two sides and an edge band) for a part that is deep inside the finished model. Complexity of this part is also inconsistent with the simplicity of the rest of the model. Laminating some shiny foil to a thick piece of card works as well.
- Base of the photometer (telescope barrel and Dewar) is a disk that slips into the end of the conic; virtually impossible to get a good fit exactly at the bottom edge, but this is also a hidden joint so anything close looks fine.
- Colored squares on the spacecraft bus just don't cut it at this scale but making up a bunch of little boxes is easy enough.
- HGA mount on the original seems to reflect an early design (swing out antenna mast). Pictures of the spacecraft preflight build up show a fixed HGA mount - original is on the right in the above pictures. It's an easy mod that's actually simpler than building up the all the bits for the original mast.
- Similarly, the radiator on the final satellite is larger and shaped differently than the one supplied with the model. Another easy fix to make a new bit.

Display mount is a paper tube glued vertically inside the back corner of the spacecraft bus with a small hole cut in the bottom for the stick.

Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 02-08-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Eternal Member

Display Base

Final (door prize) configuration for display - along with some other ends.

Another 1,235 possible planets-workshopassortment.jpg

Struck out on little pieces of MDF at the home center but some half-inch particle board I had laying around in the garage worked out OK after some extra sanding. Edges will never be really smooth with this stuff but painted flat black they don't put themselves forward. Just used a glue stick to adhere the graphic to the base and stuck in a 3/16" dowel.

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 02-19-2011, 08:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Wow Yogi thats great, work and idea......Rich
Old 02-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks, Rich.

You want to really blow your mind - using the estimates from the Kepler data it's estimated there could be around 50 billion (50,000,000,000) planets in just our Galaxy. Around 500 million (500,000,000) in the habitable zone around their stars ... Galactic Empire anyone?

Milky Way Stuffed with 50 Billion Alien Worlds : Discovery News

Yogi
Old 02-20-2011, 12:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
Thanks, Rich.

You want to really blow your mind - using the estimates from the Kepler data it's estimated there could be around 50 billion (50,000,000,000) planets in just our Galaxy. Around 500 million (500,000,000) in the habitable zone around their stars ... Galactic Empire anyone?

Yogi
Resistance is futile...Resistance is futile...resistance is fu....

Les (Assimilated Borg flack)
Old 02-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Eternal Member

And the winner is ... two Keplers and a whole bunch of Falcon 9 stomp rockets passed on to area teachers as door prizes at the workshop yesterday. Also did a Fiddler's Green Cub (old version with CAP markings) as a thank you gift for the Civil Air Patrol pilot who flew in to fly some of the teachers - got four of the teachers up for dollar rides before the C-17 airdrop closed the field ...

Time to get back to my previously scheduled program (of afternoon naps).

Yogi

BTW - MESSENGER inserts into Mercury orbit next month so is another good subject for a couple of models (one to keep and one to pass on to your favorite school teacher).

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 02-27-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: MESSENGER addendum
Old 03-30-2011, 06:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
I remembered this thread Yogi started when I saw today's APOD.
APOD: 2011 March 29 - Kepler's Suns and Planets here you can see a digitally generated illustration showing the sizes of all the stars and planets.

For an even bigger (huge) version of the image, see: Kepler Transiting Planet Candidates (Saturated Colours) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Google Adsense