PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-04-2011, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hey IC

I have been searching, I also contacted Paperkosmsnaut he's done some saerching also, I e-mailed Phil Smith from astrozoic to see if he could maybe send some good pics of the couch, I haven't heard back from him.

I'm attaching the only things we have come up with.

Seems no one has much interest in what the pilot sits in, any info on this subject is sparse.
Attached Thumbnails
Lunar Lander 3.0-180px-rjd_sedr-104dec1962_astrosupportcouch2.png   Lunar Lander 3.0-mercury1.jpg   Lunar Lander 3.0-mercury2_op_640x479.jpg   Lunar Lander 3.0-mercury3.jpg   Lunar Lander 3.0-mercury4.jpg  

Old 03-04-2011, 03:01 PM

Talking Plastic Seat!

Hi,

Who has the plastic seat in the pictures? Just take the six views of that and I can make it!

Each of these couches were actually custom sized to the astronaut. NASA still has the drawing for these seats in their archives.....nothing has been lost as they have said.....there was a "little" water damage one time to some drawings and store parts, but that is all. NASA still has EVERYTHING in hidden archives from mercury on. (It's who ya know)

We will get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by closet astronaut View Post
Hey IC

I have been searching, I also contacted Paperkosmsnaut he's done some saerching also, I e-mailed Phil Smith from astrozoic to see if he could maybe send some good pics of the couch, I haven't heard back from him.

I'm attaching the only things we have come up with.

Seems no one has much interest in what the pilot sits in, any info on this subject is sparse.

PS If you like ironclads checkout this site: http://www.theuniversalfoundation.com/ironclad.html
Old 03-04-2011, 05:29 PM

The pics here are from Phil Smith's Astrozoic web site, this is the couch he built for his resin build of the merc capsule. I've been using photos of his build as reference, the detail is insane, looking at his build is quite humbling. I e-mailed him about getting some pics but haven't heard back.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:00 PM

Talking Insane Details!

Hi,

Ok, cool! About what size will the paper seat be for the paper model it is going in? That will probably determine how complex the paper seat model can be, the painted on detail can be more or less.

I am going to search a bit too.

Seatman (alias Ironcladman)

Quote:
The pics here are from Phil Smith's Astrozoic web site, this is the couch he built for his resin build of the merc capsule. I've been using photos of his build as reference, the detail is insane, looking at his build is quite humbling. I e-mailed him about getting some pics but haven't heard back.

PS If you like ironclads checkout this site: http://www.theuniversalfoundation.com/ironclad.html
Old 03-05-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcladman View Post
Hi,

Ok, cool! About what size will the paper seat be for the paper model it is going in? That will probably determine how complex the paper seat model can be, the painted on detail can be more or less.

I am going to search a bit too.

Here is a photo of where it will go. The first two pics are of the aft bulkhead I built from the files, the others are of the resin model built by Phil Smith.

Hight of back from seat to crown where the helment would be ...8" I would estimate the shoulders probably 1/2 to 5/8" lower than crown.

width....5"outer edge of seat to outer edge of seat

Total depth...3"

the actuall seat where your butt would be is 2" , I'm estimating here...from the back of the seat to the front bar 2 3/4"

I'm not looking for absolute perfection, if it's close I'll be a happy camper, I could hand draw this but the curves of the back, shouldes and helment area would be too difficult to do free hand, with modeling software I think you could get the curves right in the printout for cutting and shaping
Attached Thumbnails
Lunar Lander 3.0-dsc01592.jpg   Lunar Lander 3.0-dsc01593.jpg   Lunar Lander 3.0-mercury5.jpg   Lunar Lander 3.0-mercury6.jpg   Lunar Lander 3.0-mercury16.jpg  

Lunar Lander 3.0-mercury73.jpg  
Old 03-07-2011, 11:23 AM

Hello IC

Phil Smith has e-mailed me back, he doesn't have any pics of this particular seat other than what I posted, he sent me a link with the photo below, I think this would be too complicated and a bit over kill for what I'm going for and it's not six sided. Even the links PaperKosmonaut sent me only turned up pics like these also.

If the previously posted pics won't do let me know I'll just draw it and do it all by hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Lunar Lander 3.0-3590566812_75d22d28b2_z.jpg  
Old 03-07-2011, 03:23 PM

Talking Quewl Deal!

Hi,

Ok, no problem I will start with what we got! The measurement from the top of the head point to the bottom of the legs would be what? That is the only measurement I need to seat the scale of the whole couch.

As far as details, do you want every nut and bolt I see, or flat surface on which we paint the nuts and bolts on?

Sincerely,

Quote:
Hello IC

Phil Smith has e-mailed me back, he doesn't have any pics of this particular seat other than what I posted, he sent me a link with the photo below, I think this would be too complicated and a bit over kill for what I'm going for and it's not six sided. Even the links PaperKosmonaut sent me only turned up pics like these also.

If the previously posted pics won't do let me know I'll just draw it and do it all by hand.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcladman View Post
Hi,

Ok, no problem I will start with what we got! The measurement from the top of the head point to the bottom of the legs would be what? That is the only measurement I need to seat the scale of the whole couch.

As far as details, do you want every nut and bolt I see, or flat surface on which we paint the nuts and bolts on?

Sincerely,

From crown to butt ia 8 1/2", as far as the nuts and bolts, the only ones I see actually go around the back so I wouldn't worry about those, I would just concintrate onthe pieces that stick out at the bottom and the control arms and handles. If you can't see it from the hatch I wouldn't get too concerned. I'll post a few pics.

Thank you Sir I can't wait to see how it turns out, PS no hurry.

Disclamer: the photos posted here are of the build done by Phil Smith his work can be found on Astrozoic .com
Attached Thumbnails
Lunar Lander 3.0-friendship7aa.jpg   Lunar Lander 3.0-friendship7u.jpg   Lunar Lander 3.0-friendship7y.jpg  
Old 03-07-2011, 07:14 PM

Hey IC

I have another photo that might be of some help, if you zoom in you can really see how much is visable.

There is alittle differece between this and Scotts bulkhead design, the way the couch is it sits a little higher than the flat part it rests on, the measurement I gave you for this area is exactly from the flat section to the crown, I did leave about 1/2 from crown to top of the bulkhead so you might have to knock that half inch off the measurement I gave you, take a look see what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Lunar Lander 3.0-mercury98_op_640x622.jpg  
Old 03-08-2011, 02:55 PM

Talking SketchIt!

Hi,

I will make a basic sketch just to get the scale and size right first so that should get us sinked up and rowwwlllnnn.

Sincerely,
Sinkman (alias Ironcladman)

Quote:
Hey IC

I have another photo that might be of some help, if you zoom in you can really see how much is visable.

There is alittle differece between this and Scotts bulkhead design, the way the couch is it sits a little higher than the flat part it rests on, the measurement I gave you for this area is exactly from the flat section to the crown, I did leave about 1/2 from crown to top of the bulkhead so you might have to knock that half inch off the measurement I gave you, take a look see what you think.

Google Adsense