PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-07-2011, 02:53 PM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
I was looking through some books and images on google, but I couldn't figure it out; what was the color of the command module? Sometimes it's white sometimes it's polished metal, the Apollo 11 module in the Smithsonian looks more copper-ish after being burned on the decent anyone knows?
Old 11-07-2011, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Color of Apollo CM

Well, Billy,

When it was launched on top of the Saturn V or 1B it was covered with the Boost Protective Cover, so it was white. But when the launch escape tower (LES) was jettisoned, the true shiny silver tape surface emerged, something like this full-scale model:

On the descent back into the Earth's atmosphere, the protective silver tape strips were burnt by the immense heat of the friction of the atmosphere, so it usually turned a brownish-orange or a golden deep yellow, and some of the tape strips loosened and some feel off. And some turned almost black. This was how it usually looked when the U S Navy Seals retrieved the CM and the astronauts on the waves of the Pacific. The tape stripe pattern was then very obvious.

Best,
Bengt :-)
Old 11-07-2011, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.leliveld View Post
I was looking through some books and images on google, but I couldn't figure it out; what was the color of the command module? Sometimes it's white sometimes it's polished metal, the Apollo 11 module in the Smithsonian looks more copper-ish after being burned on the decent anyone knows?
Billy,

That's an excellent question. The same question goes for all the other components as well. Right now, I am focusing on the design, and staying safe with GRAY. Gray is about as neutral as it gets.

Ken
Old 11-07-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Fredén View Post
Well, Billy,

When it was launched on top of the Saturn V or 1B it was covered with the Boost Protective Cover, so it was white. But when the launch escape tower (LES) was jettisoned, the true shiny silver tape surface emerged, something like this full-scale model:

On the descent back into the Earth's atmosphere, the protective silver tape strips were burnt by the immense heat of the friction of the atmosphere, so it usually turned a brownish-orange or a golden deep yellow, and some of the tape strips loosened and some feel off. And some turned almost black. This was how it usually looked when the U S Navy Seals retrieved the CM and the astronauts on the waves of the Pacific. The tape stripe pattern was then very obvious.

Best,
Bengt :-)
Bengt, that is correct. I've seen pictures of the CM in space, and it is highly reflective as you indicate.

WOW! Look at the size of that model! And I thought I had too much time on MY hands!

Ken
Old 11-07-2011, 04:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
The Boost Protective Cover of Apollo

Right, Ken,

The reflective chrome surface of the CM is seen in every photo taken from the LEM (Lunar Module) on the missions to the Moon in the late 60s and early 70s. The Boost Protective Cover, however, is bright white, as can be seen here on Apollo 8, being prepared for launch back in December of 1968:

All the best,
Bengt
Google Adsense
Old 11-07-2011, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
Bengt,

Excellent explanations as usual. Thank you. The question of the white vs. silver had troubled me since I was a child, and was the reason I began studying the Saturn V recently. What I would give to have personally seen a Saturn V being assembled in the VAB...

Question: Is that YOUR "model" of the CM in Post 142, in what appears to be a residential driveway, and is it 1:1 scale? What material is it made of?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.leliveld View Post
I've been scouring pictures to find a pre-flight image of the heat sheild, but no luck. From what I've seen from various pictures is that the copper-ish orange color is the actual color of the phenolic resin before even going through re-entry.
For note, also, the Skylab mission capsules were painted(?) a white and silver and reflective tape as opposed to only reflective tape, and then reflective tape again for the ASTP mission.
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-artifacts_asp_heatshield.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-apollosl2.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-s73-36435.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
I've been scouring pictures to find a pre-flight image of the heat sheild, but no luck. From what I've seen from various pictures is that the copper-ish orange color is the actual color of the phenolic resin before even going through re-entry.
For note, also, the Skylab mission capsules were painted(?) a white and silver and reflective tape as opposed to only reflective tape, and then reflective tape again for the ASTP mission.
Thanks Mechanic. I will use the picture of the chunk of resin to pull out the color for the heat shield. If someone comes up with a more compelling explanation, I can easily change the color.

Did someone say "Trapezoidal Windows"? Here is the start for them. There is another pair of window assemblies that will fit over these on the inside with the gray interior color - and the lens will fit between them. Then there will be an additional window assembly with lens that will be fitted to the outer shell. This is how I am going to solve the "sunk-in" look/issue that I mentioned this morning. I decided early on that I will not skimp on part count just to simplify the model. Given the complexity of the subject, along with the fact that I am designing this as a display that can be disassembled for viewing, makes for a high part count. Just remember that high part count does not necessarily mean difficult to build.... just more parts.

Ken

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo command module - 1:12-pv14-001.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-pv14-002.jpg   Apollo command module - 1:12-pv14-003.jpg  
Old 11-07-2011, 09:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
fantastic model!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:34 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Thanks Bengt & Mechanic for the answers,
And I think we have discovered why Red River metallic paper is sold out; the guy with the CM in his backyard bought it all
Google Adsense