PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-17-2011, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
those are really, REALLY bad things that happen to your ISS's.....
Old 05-17-2011, 04:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
I thought I was going to have to build a fourth the other day. We had a bird get in the house and sure enough he had to come into this room and decided he wanted to use my ISS as his purch. While we were trying to catch him he hit every model I had hanging. He hit my ISS a number of times and broke a few things but they were easily fixed.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:41 PM

that must be a relief XD
Old 05-18-2011, 12:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.07 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
Indeed. I don't know how long I spent on Raimondo's Shuttle, but it was at LEAST 150 hours, and I have not yet completed the shuttle bay doors, or the robot arms! Let me tell you that this model takes a very great deal of technical expertise to do well.

The real problem areas are the wing and the rear OMS modules. I spent a great deal of time reinforcing the interior of the wing structure itself, and a very long time forming the actual wing unit itself. Attaching the wing presents some unique challenges: you must glue two sections over 8 inches long over the entire length of the fuselage at the same time!

This is what I did to make it much much easier: I glued headless matches underneath the gluign tabs on the body of the shuttle, so that it was possible to put good pressure on these tabs when gluing. Without stable and firm gluing tabs there is not a viable way to secure the wing structure to the shuttle without making a real mess of it.

Then there is the nose section: I compromised the design and excluded the OMS nozzles, leaving them out entirely, as this forward section is quite complex. I filed down a set of artery forceps so that they have no serrations on the jaws, and used these to hold many of the gluing job in place. I also used a lot of reinforcing inside it to stabilise the shape.

I also specifically did NOT implement the movable flaps on both the wings and the tail section: this simplified the build considerably.

Good Luck!
150 hours are pretty heavy. I think the Fortezza shuttle will move to the rear on my to-do list. Have just a AXM shuttle in 1 / 144 in progress and have a little problem with the wings.The shuttle looks like a "lame duck". I have to practice a bit.

greetings spacewalker
Old 05-18-2011, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 220.03 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to axm61
Please use the wing support parts which are available on the "Assembly manuals & files" page from my website.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.07 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by axm61 View Post
Please use the wing support parts which are available on the "Assembly manuals & files" page from my website.
Hi Alfonso. This is precisely the problem. The wing buckle so strong that the internal horizontal stabilizers downward bending.This is not a problem with the design. I think I have made somewhere an error with the positioning of the wing-support ​​. I just do it again. Thanks for your great models!

greetings from germany, spacewalker
Old 05-18-2011, 04:20 PM

alfonso's 1/144th shuttles,crawler, and MLP go together with no problem. the only issue i had was w/ the MLP and the measurements. but that was my fault for not printing at the "none" setting. the wing supports are excellent. just my 2 cents.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by obwand10 View Post
alfonso's 1/144th shuttles,crawler, and MLP go together with no problem. the only issue i had was w/ the MLP and the measurements. but that was my fault for not printing at the "none" setting. the wing supports are excellent. just my 2 cents.
I had the same issue back when I did the MLP (Like 3 years ago as one of my first models) and it took me a lot of prints to figure out I was printing with scaling. Looks great when it's complete though
SSM-2007:http://space-shuttle-mission.com
Old 05-18-2011, 06:44 PM

yes. yes it does
Old 05-20-2011, 07:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.99 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
Indeed. I don't know how long I spent on Raimondo's Shuttle, but it was at LEAST 150 hours, and I have not yet completed the shuttle bay doors, or the robot arms! Let me tell you that this model takes a very great deal of technical expertise to do well.
150? o.o; My 1/48 scale-up didn't take that long (time spent scaling up parts and assembling). Although I agree, it is very tedious to make... especially the wings and attaching the engine compartment/nose to the mid fuselage. Although when I got down to only needing the doors, I gave up and focused solely on university work >_> Right now I'm planning to rebuild it (hopefully with fewer building errors) in 1/48 but slightly resized to better suit AXM's models. The only issue is that the width to length ratio between AXM's and Fortezza's shuttles are slightly off. Fortezza's is a little bit shorter o.O Hopefully it won't matter when I try to put payloads in. Also I'm thinking of throwing in a cockpit, and mailing in part of a wing to get it autographed. There's a few astronauts who will sign things for free (provided you include return postage).