PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-11-2022, 07:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.42 MB
Harmony Module

Almost completed the Harmony Module. I still need to add the thermal covers to the node connectors. I will also add some external lines when I am ready to mount the ISS to the overhead support. The thermal blankets around the ends was replicated with coffee filters. I like the added detail. A PVC rod will slip in side Unity, Destiny, and Harmony and will act as a spine for the main modules. A magnet embedded in the end of the PVC will attach to a magnet at the end of Harmony and Unity. This will hold the modules tightly. All other modules will be attached via magnets in the node connector assemblies.
Attached Thumbnails
The International Space Station Thread-harmony-1.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-harmony-2.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-harmony-3.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-harmony-4.jpg  
Old 05-11-2022, 07:44 PM

Columbus Module

Completed the Columbus Module. Working on the experiment equipment. This was an easy build. Few hand rails and minor exterior detail. I installed a small magnet on the end to help support the weight of the module. The attachment is a magnetic thumb tack and will be attached to the overhead support.
Attached Thumbnails
The International Space Station Thread-columbus-1.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-columbus-2.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-columbus-3.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-columbus-4.jpg  
Old 05-11-2022, 07:58 PM

JEM Exposed Facility

Started working on the JEM Exposed Facility. I covered this module and the experiment payloads with coffee filter to replicate the thermal blankets. I embedded magnets in the payload attachment points and used a small steel nut in each of the payloads. Worked well.

My plan is to install a wooden dowel inside the Exposed Facility as a permanent part of the module. The dowel will extend into a paper tube mounted inside the JEM. A magnet on the end will ensure a solid connection.

This project has been placed to the side to allow for completion of the Destiny Module. Then I will focus on the JEM Modules and integrate the external facility. This will complete the US and European section. I will then move to the Russian modules. My final effort will be the truss assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
The International Space Station Thread-jem-exposed-facility-1.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-jem-exposed-facility-2.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-jem-exposed-facility-3.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-jem-exposed-facility-4.jpg  
Old 05-15-2022, 01:30 PM

Ammonia Ubilicals

I assembled the completed ISS modules. I attached the ammonia umbilical to Tranquility with glue. The other end is attached to Destiny with a magnet. Per the manual for Destiny, the umbilical should also attach to Unity. I do not see where the lines would attached. Does anyone know where to attach the ammonia umbilical to Unity?
Attached Thumbnails
The International Space Station Thread-iss-assembled.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-ammonia-lines-1.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-ammonia-lines-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ammonia Lines.pdf (127.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-24-2022, 04:59 PM

Pma 1

Completed PMA 1. I attached it to the back of Unity with a magnet. I also embedded a magnet on the docking end to allow it to attached to the front of Zarya. My plan is to build the Russian section in a similar fashion as the US/European section. I will run a dowel through Zarya and Zvezda. This will help with alignment and allow for easier mounting.
Attached Thumbnails
The International Space Station Thread-pma-1.1.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-pma-1.2.jpg  
Old 05-25-2022, 10:01 AM

Pma 2

Completed PMA 2. They are hard to get to perfect. I always have a gap somewhere. Overall, not bad.
Attached Thumbnails
The International Space Station Thread-pma-2.1.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-pma-2.2.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-pma-2.3.jpg  
Old 05-27-2022, 04:58 PM

Kibo and JEM Modules

Completed the Kibo and JEM modules. I cut out all the recessed panels where the hand rails are attached. I then glued a strip of card stock printed with the required detail to the back side. This added a nice level of detail.

The JEM is attached to the Kibo module with magnets. The Kibo is attached to Harmony with the same 15mm magnets. This has proved to be a wonderful method of holding the modules together.

I used a wooden dowel to connect the Exposed Facility (EF). I wrapped the dowel with card stock and hot glued in place. This is a much stronger option that when I used magnets. The magnets allowed the EF to hang in a downward position. Using the dowel imbedded in cardboard tubes, the EF hangs straight out from Kibo.

I had forgotten how large this model is. It is starting to fill up my ceiling.

Next task is to build the robotic arm for Kibo.
Attached Thumbnails
The International Space Station Thread-kibo-1.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-kibo-2.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-iss-1.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-iss-2.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-iss-3.jpg  

Old 06-02-2022, 07:37 PM

BEAM Expandable Module

Completed the BEAM Expandable Module. I covered the parts with coffee filter to replicate the fabric and added panels to give depth and texture. This was a nice simple module.

I also added some detail to the Destiny section of ISS. I added some external cables and snaked them down to PMA 2 at the front of Harmony.
Attached Thumbnails
The International Space Station Thread-beam-1.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-beam-2.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-beam-3.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-iss-detail.jpg  
Old 06-02-2022, 07:54 PM

Kibo Robotic Arm

Made some progress on the robotic arm that is used to move scientific pallets on the External Facility. To get a smooth roll with the card stock, I wetted the inside of the part to be rolled and taped it to an appropriately sized cylinder. The arm is attached to Kibo with magnets. The joints are filled with a stack of 3 7mmx2mm magnets. They are perfect and the movement is smooth and solid. Each part of the arm is covered with coffee filter to replicate the thermal blankets. For the camera lens, I used a disk cut from packing tape. I am planning on using UV resin to update the cameras. I have a few more parts to build to complete the arm.
Attached Thumbnails
The International Space Station Thread-kibo-arm-1.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-kibo-arm-2.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-kibo-arm-3.jpg  
Old 06-03-2022, 02:34 PM

Completed Kibo Arm

Completed the Kibo Arm. I am happy with the results. The magnets are not strong enough to allow for posing the arm extended horizontally. I am researching a method to allow for more friction between the magnets at the joints.
Attached Thumbnails
The International Space Station Thread-completed-kibo-arm-1.jpg   The International Space Station Thread-completed-kibo-arm-2.jpg