PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
By the way, apart from not taking photographs of their work, the 70's engineers were also too busy with their appearance
I guess you can't look good all day while you're trying to survive a near vacuum. :D
There's a real dearth of information on the motor, so I've collected very little. I even found a video of the assembly of the stack, which provides some decent views (albeit rather blurry). I can send that along to your email if you like (it's a 25MB file).
Some of the best information is from the blueprint available through the Yahoo space modeling group. I included it in the files in case you haven't seen it. If it turns out to be low resolution, let me know and I can send the file itself, which is about 4MB.

Voyager kick motor pictures by jparenti - Photobucket

And this is my result, at 1/24, based on blueprints and thus far lacking foil coverings, attitude motors, the environmental shield (gold foil sections), and the scan platform plume shield (which is curved, I finally came to find out after careful study of the pictures). It's still a work in progress:

Old 03-27-2012, 11:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Thanks a lot for these pictures, Joseph, they already help me a lot. Because I work in 1/96th I don't really need the blueprints, I guess.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Amazing! Dry wall mesh, now that's is a great idea!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Another one I just managed to dig up:
Attached Thumbnails
Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-1-272-voyager1and2.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Two more. One is a bigger version of one found earlier in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-18.jpg   Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-ksc-77p-0210.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 AM

En bedankt, Woods! (-:
Old 03-28-2012, 11:07 AM

The titan has been paused for a day or two now, because of a testbuild of Yogi's Sky Crane. But there has been some work done on the Titan.
First of all, I want to thank you all for the photos of the kick motor. The thing seems to be loosely wrapped in foil, I will try and do the same.

The first stage got a tank top made from the tip of a styrofoam ball, which I gave a white glue layer first and after drying I painted it with Tamiya gold leaf acrylic. There were some details placed on the hull, and I used plain white paper for the white rings around the rocket. The only disadvantage of this paper is that black has been printed less opaque as I hoped for so for keeping the letters similar I had to cut out a small part of the letters on the white paper. Only this close up you'll notice.

The insides of the interstage have been seriously reinforced, (not yet seen on pictures here) by another layer of the metallic paper and a dab of CA on the areas between the blast holes which are the weakest point on this rocket. it now is quite sturdy.

Coming up next are the engine sections and after that I'll tackle the payload fairing.
Attached Thumbnails
Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-titan-iiie-007.jpg   Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-titan-iiie-008.jpg   Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-titan-iiie-009.jpg   Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-titan-iiie-010.jpg   Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-titan-iiie-011.jpg  

Old 03-28-2012, 05:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 406.41 MB
BTW, Jasper was very polite about not mentioning the errors. Let me point them out and the easy fixes for them...

First, the first stage reinforcements are missing (part B6), but you can use the ones from The Titan IIIb offered for free in the files section here. On the IIIb, it's part B8.

The connector for part B1 to C1 is missing, but it's only a strip of paper about a half inch tall and as wide as part B1.

Part B2 is called out in the instructions, but that's a leftover from other versions of the Titan. You don't need that part on the IIIe.

Nice job so far. I'm really impressed by the cut out blast ports, can't wait to see it finished.

-Mark
Old 03-29-2012, 01:01 AM

I wasn't trying to be polite, it was such a minor issue to me, I just forgot about it..

So that's what they are, reinforcements. I already asked myself what purpose they served. They sure were to small to be aerodynamic fins..
Old 03-31-2012, 04:13 PM

The day here just is over. Time for a short update. Did some things today, mostly detailing and thinking ahead on how to do the shroud. This week I was busy making a testbuild of Yogi's Sky Crane for the MSL. It's a pretty well-designed little bug. (It originally is 1/24 but I made it in 1/48. With a small addition. Of course.) Soon in the open, I presume!

Okay, now on to the Titan IIIe.
First the engine of the second stage got some piping. It was a little naked without. It is merely fantasy but the bustle kind of resembles the real thing.
Next there was the question of how the fairing should be made. I researched a little on how the twin-engined Centaur was placed upon the boat tail. Indeed, hard to find decent pictures. But I tinkered a bit with the boat tail and cut some rings to give the Centaur a firm base to stand on. On the pictures I also saw how the fairing was assembled. The base ring was attached to the boat tail, before the rest of the shroud were placed. And those halves were not like I thought. They were two about equally sized rings, put on top of each other after the Centaur and Voyager (including the kick motor) were placed. The last part is the pointed bit that closes the shroud up. It's only after the stack is up high that the fairing splits in two vertical halves. Interesting! At least, that's what I think.
I have drawn some sketches of how I want to do it, I will share them with you soon and I like to hear your opinions. First here are some pictures of today's stuff. And as a bonus to begin with, the little sky crane.
Attached Thumbnails
Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-p1010320.jpg   Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-titan-iiie-012.jpg   Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-titan-iiie-013.jpg   Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-titan-iiie-014.jpg   Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-titan-iiie-015.jpg  

Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-titan-iiie-016.jpg   Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-titan-iiie-017.jpg