PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-03-2012, 03:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
PK and Merzo build MIR!

In 1986 the Russians came with a new space station. At first sight it looked like any other old Russian DOS space station. DOS-8 even had the same shape as its predecessors. But there was something special about the new one. It wasn't called Salyut 8 but Mir, Peace.
It had a five-sided docking node up front that allowed several other segments to moor and dock themselves to this base block. Also it had a docking port at the aft end. In the twelve years between liftoff and its re-entry in 1998 Mir expanded from a simple Salyut-like base block to a fascinating cluster of giant dragonflies in space, broken white with shiny blue wings, and in its heydays, a giant black and white bird visiting and transferring people on to and off the station.
For the second time round, Russian and and Americans flew together in space, cooperated in experiments and made spaceflight more of an international affair.

Some time ago Merzo and Paper Kosmonaut decided it would be fun to both try and do a model of Mir, the world's first modular space station. And do this in one thread. So there.

Apart from Yogi's model, there is, to our knowledge, no other, more detailed model of Mir available.
So, we decided we'd give it a try with what is available in models that can serve as templates for the station. So expect some kitbashing and scratch building.
As for sizes; PK is giving small scale another try, now he recently has been upgraded to a pair of reading glasses. His eyes now can zoom in on the smallest sizes again and he again has razor sharp sight just like his blades. He hopes. So his build might be in the area of 1/300, 1/400.
Merzo will be (mainly scratch) building in 1/100 and designing his own parts, so in the detail- department his model undoubtedly will be something to look forward to.
Merzo already has started on the core module, PK is in the modifying-combining-designing parts phase and will show some stuff very soon, too.
From now on we both will do our entries in first person, we both hope you'll enjoy the trip!

-PK and Merzo

Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.57 MB
awesome, looking forward to it!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
This should be great! Yuki Yuji did a Mir a while ago (along with a detailed Chinese Shen Zhou capsule) but they're no longer accessible.
Looking forward to seeing how good it can get when the designer/builders have artistic talent, superb building skills, and a much longer attention span than I ...
Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 12-17-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:15 AM

We could talk some other time about short attention spans, Yogi. I still have a Loral 1300 satellite bus lying around waiting completion, which I stopped because I got bored. (-;

Now, The first post on building Mir.
I started with the base block, which is DOS-7, not DOS-8 (which is ISS's Zvezda). The inside is a rolled up piece of thick paper to make it almost solid. There still is room left for inserting a rod for easy aligning.
It's not much, but it was all I had time for this morning before going to work. Thanks to my new hipster reading glasses it is possible for me to build in this scale again without everything becoming blurry.
Attached Thumbnails
PK and Merzo build MIR!-p1040562.jpg   PK and Merzo build MIR!-p1040563.jpg   PK and Merzo build MIR!-p1040566.jpg   PK and Merzo build MIR!-p1040567.jpg   PK and Merzo build MIR!-p1040569.jpg  

Old 12-05-2012, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.90 MB
Well, good afternoon.

I would like to endorse what my friend described PK.

The construction of Mir (perhaps a bit unfairly?) Is not really popular.
Is the immediate predecessor of the ISS. Only acquired a lot of experience.
(I always wonder why do not the Von Braun's space station going? Perfect Concept,!)

Back to Mir construction

My plan is a fictional (unfortunately) event.

The Buran docked with the Mir!

Any chance you had, it could not be untrue!

Scale 1/100

Basic Core Module (DOS-7).
Start with a great model design plans Raimondo Fortezza ISS Zvezda (DOS-8)
1/100 scale study plans therefor, and comparison of the collected photographs.
The plan is perfect, but Mir is slightly different.

I made a diagram PDF. The mantle converted Fortezza's plan of taking over the rest made ​​by me

mir alapterv.pdf

This can be considered experimental sketch (3d scratch)
I started to build

This can be considered experimental sketch (3d scratch)
I started to build. Main difference I found ...

Perhaps because of the pressure, but a double cone

The plan is to be solved in connection with small magnets. All elements are separate, separately incorporated and can be connected at any time, and you risk destroying the fine details!

the basic

nsulation kits made ​​in primary tissues

The major part of the MIR show a multitude of bars

I started at the dock module

Humbrol paint the 102nd
Much space I was looking for the original recordings, but they are very rare ...
Instead, the Exhibitor training modules are files.
So I decided that I apply this color. And like it too!

Now here I am ...

Making plans for the solar panel versus KVANT start scratching mudul

Continue ...

Merzo
Google Adsense
Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM

Hey Merzo, Great start! Now the build really has taken off.
The tissue looks great as insulation blankets.
I might try and do something with railings, too.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:47 AM

And on we go. Funny how fluffy it all gets when you look up close with macro.
Attached Thumbnails
PK and Merzo build MIR!-p1040570.jpg   PK and Merzo build MIR!-p1040571.jpg   PK and Merzo build MIR!-p1040572.jpg   PK and Merzo build MIR!-p1040573.jpg   PK and Merzo build MIR!-p1040574.jpg  

PK and Merzo build MIR!-p1040575.jpg   PK and Merzo build MIR!-p1040576.jpg   PK and Merzo build MIR!-p1040577.jpg   PK and Merzo build MIR!-p1040578.jpg   PK and Merzo build MIR!-p1040580.jpg  

Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.90 GB
I don't know if it will help, but John J. has the final verson of the Mir in 1:144 scale over at The Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model E-Gift Shop - Photo Gallery - Apollo Spacecraft
its 6th up from the bottom of the page.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM

We both know, Ennder, but thanks anyway.
I am using some parts of it as templates for size. If I'm correct, Merzo just does everything by measuring with his eagle eyes and ruler.
But we also both felt Yogi's model was a little too basic for our somewhat out-of-this-worldish requirements. And besides, the models of Fortezza and Alfonso (AXM) are very detailed and reasonably easy converted to Mir components.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Nice job Merzo - love all the little EVA hand-holds/handrails on the detailing.

PK-you must have really good glasses for it to look fuzzy (but then everything looks fuzzy at the electron microscope/quantum mechanical scales you build at). Nicely done!

How are you on pictures? I have 20 some on the drive from the earlier (simple) project. If you check NASA shuttle pix you should find some good on-orbit shots of Mir starting with STS-63 in 1995. Interesting page at NASA - JSC History Portal .

Yogi
Google Adsense