PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-15-2012, 07:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight

Here's the plan: Take Mercism's ( Scott) 1/4 Merc capsule scale it down 30% and make it launch using the LES. Eject the LES deploying it's own chute from the top, then have the capsule deploy it's own chute from the recovery section

1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0940.jpg

I started off with the the printer set for the multiple pg printoff setting but it was too small, so I played around with the files in photo shop and used a 30% reduction. This will put me where I need to be.

1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0950.jpg
1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0953.jpg
1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0964.jpg

Finished the main and recovery today. Next phase will be a main body tube running the length from the recovery through the retro pack.

1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0965.jpg
1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0966.jpg
1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0968.jpg
1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0970.jpg
1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0971.jpg
Old 07-16-2012, 12:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Sounds like an adventure to get the chutes to deploy! Looking forward to how you do it.

Mike
Old 07-16-2012, 08:15 AM

how will the second chute deploy? im interested to see your plans for it.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 50.69 MB
This is intriguing indeed!
Last Build - 1:48 F1 Engine
Current Build - Mammoth Tank (Scale unknown)
Next Build - P-3 Orion (VQ-1 livery)
Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
how will the second chute deploy? im interested to see your plans for it.

THAT...is the million dollar question. I'm going to cross that bridge when I get to it. I've had several suggestions that I'm looking into.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Closet, you have my full attention...

Because of you, I just finished my Little Joe II flier. I don't know if I'll be following you lead on this one. It'd be fun, though... ;-)

MAB
Old 07-17-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeVikes View Post
Closet, you have my full attention...

Because of you, I just finished my Little Joe II flier. I don't know if I'll be following you lead on this one. It'd be fun, though... ;-)

MAB
I apreciate the kind words. I'm glad I could be an inspiration. I also have been inspired by others, lukestarwalker was my inspiration to rebuild my old Atlas rocket and I've made two launches with it since.

As far as following my lead...I get bored easily, I can't keep doing the same thing over and over like building the cookie cutter rocket kits. Glue some fins on, stuff in the engine mount, stick the cone in, and paint. Most of the kits can be built in about four hours. I GOT to get outside the box. And with all the paper model available the possibilities are endless. I've been eyeing some of the sci-fi space craft available with possible conversion capability.
My next project is going to be the third stage of Ton's 1/48 Sat-V built for flight.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:22 PM

Progress. I forgot how scratch building and making parts from imagination can slow the build.

The main tube through the body is complete, I will have to extend a bit more to reach the retro pack but that will be done later.

Next up will be the antenna cap and fitting it, I will be starting the engineering for ejection.
Attached Thumbnails
1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0974.jpg   1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0975.jpg   1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0976.jpg   1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0977.jpg   1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0978.jpg  

Old 07-18-2012, 06:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by closet astronaut View Post
I can't keep doing the same thing over and over like building the cookie cutter rocket kits. Glue some fins on, stuff in the engine mount, stick the cone in, and paint. Most of the kits can be built in about four hours. I GOT to get outside the box. And with all the paper model available the possibilities are endless.
I couldn't possibly agree with you more. Estes kits are great, and they're a wonderful place to start, but honestly, I've kinda grown past past a lot of what they make, and they just don't make the models I'm interested in anymore. Not to toot my own horn, but I have enough experience and engineering education to design my own at this point. And to be honest, either converting other people's kits or designing my own is a lot more fun. I get as much enjoyment out of the research and the design process as I do the building and flying.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:43 PM

Getting to the meat and potatos, where the rubber meets the road. From this point I'll be having to figure out how I'll be attaching and deploying the cap. The LES will be attached to this, so before any more building this mechinism will have to be ironed out.

The build is a-bit slower in one aspect, making parts from imagination, but is much faster in another aspect, not having to build in the level of detail that is possible with this model, just the basics.
Attached Thumbnails
1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0980.jpg   1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0981.jpg   1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0982.jpg   1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0983.jpg   1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0984.jpg  

1/4 Merc capsule scale down coversion for LES flight-img_0985.jpg