PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-31-2018, 06:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
I’m thinking crazy thoughts so ... take this with a smile as my naïveté shines bright.

What if, you painted the smooth model tank in one coat, then a second coat, slightly darker and while it was wet, wrapped the ET with an appropriately sized string sprinkling down. Then, unwind the string to reveal what in my head is the appropriate variation in color, texture and spacing.

Just a consideration. hTH
Old 06-01-2018, 01:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
It does seem an interesting approach but like you, Manfred, I find the grooves too uniform and smooth. I would've been tempted to "paint" the plastic with liquid cement to soften up the grooves after lathing. Similarly, I think alternating some colors or drybrushing some highlights would've softened up the look a bit. It looks too monochrome for my tastes.

I like what I can see of the Orbiter.

I've never been up close and personal with an External Tank, but I have been right next to (and under) Discovery (back in '86 in the OPF) and what stunned me, as a modeler, was just how rough the surface appeared. Aside from the RCC nosecap and wing leading edges, there wasn't a smooth surface to be found. It looked anything but aerodynamic....
Regarding the ET texture I fully agree with you, David, but today Simon would certainly make that still more realistic, I could imagine.

Regarding the Orbiter TPS tiles, it's almost unbelievable, considering that the surface tile detailing was hand cut into the painted surface useing scalpel guided by laser cutted acrylic templates.

And to be able to see all that in the original is a terrific thing and the absolute coronation that I can only envy you for, you lucky fellow!
Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 06-01-2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreinmann View Post
I’m thinking crazy thoughts so ... take this with a smile as my naïveté shines bright.

What if, you painted the smooth model tank in one coat, then a second coat, slightly darker and while it was wet, wrapped the ET with an appropriately sized string sprinkling down. Then, unwind the string to reveal what in my head is the appropriate variation in color, texture and spacing.

Just a consideration. hTH
Thanks for your nice consideration,
but alone the imagination of your idea appears adventurous to me, but unfortunately it would rather not work because of the minimum spacing of the grooves of 1 mm at 1/144 ...
Old 06-02-2018, 05:33 AM

Dear friends,

sadly we must take note that Donald H. Peterson, one of the crew members of STS-6, passed away a few days ago.

Source: commons.wikimedia.org
Seated: Paul J. Weitz (left), crew commander, and Karol J. Bobko, pilot. Standing: Donald H. Peterson (left) and Story Musgrave, both mission specalists.

Source: flickr.com (NASA Kennedy)

This sad news consternates me deeply, especially since Paul J. Weitz left recently too.

Forever remembered, may they all rest in peace ...

Old 06-02-2018, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Seems as of late. That way too many of these brave souls are passing away.RIP to all our space heros.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:35 PM

Hello everybody,
after the tough struggle for the rings of the ET now back to the grooves of the last FUD-IT, whose ultrasonic cleaning in the Dental lab was still on the agenda.

For that I had procured the recommended intensive cleaner TICKOPUR R 60,

which we wanted to use based on the conditions recommended by BANDELIN.

Soure: bandelin.com

Since this cleaner i.a. Sodium hydroxide (5-15%), also called caustic soda, caution was bidden, which is why protective gloves were required.

After the nice colleagues of the ChiliDent Lab were back on board after their short break, it was finally time and the Final Countdown was imminent.

In the beginning of May in my #1664 I had presented the critical areas with the strongest wax nests and captured in pictures.

In order to shorten the cleaning time, we have increased the concentration of the TICKOPUR to approx. 20 %. Through the rubber ring, the height of the glass insert in the ultrasonic bath could be adjusted so that it hung about 3 cm above the bottom of the tub, which is as important for optimal cleaning as filling the tub with the same solution,

that the boss has personally mixed.

Due to the size of the glass insert, the Intertank could be inserted lengthwise, which is also advantageous for the cleaning effect.

After setting the thermostat to 70 °C, the appliance was switched on by the assistant,

and the bath began to bubble.

After every 30 minutes, the IT was turned a quarter turn further. Overall, the cleaning time was about three hours.
After that, the tank looked white and completely clean, which one could already see at first glance.

So finally the work was done, and with a tip into the kitty I thanked me once again and light-hearted said goodbye.

And as one can see in this photo, the cleaning was really perfect, because there are no wax residues left, which is why no aftertreatment was required too.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:36 PM

This is especially also illustrated by comparing the photos before and afterwards.

And here once again a few pictures of both ITs in comparison, where the FUD-IT looks even more filigree than the WSF-IT.

Nevertheless, I think that one can use both ITs, depending at whim and purse.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:53 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Well three cheers and hooray for success!! Yet another seemingly intractable problem bites the dust. Congratulations are the order of the day Manfred so ... Congratulations!!
Old 06-06-2018, 05:45 PM

Thanks Elliott for your nice congrats,

that was really a tough trial of patience, but all's well that ends well.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
That looks clean as a whistle, as the saying goes. Glad it worked!