PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-14-2019, 01:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.67 MB
Your attention to detail and research is truly epic.

Amazing work Manfred.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Thanks Papa for looking in on me,
yeah, small and tricky details, that has always been my passion, it's like a drug, I can't let go ...

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 07-14-2019, 11:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
If there is a cure for that addiction, my advise. Tell them they can keep it.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:01 PM

Thanks Ed for your pretty advice, maybe you're right.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:07 AM

Hello everybody,

Today, I've done some sanding work, first I had to sand the Vertical Strut of the ET/Orbiter Attachment on the LH2 side for the TPS cladding of the Newware Kit and had to modify the Resin part still a little bit. And then there was also the associated Longeron, which had to be modified too.

Since the outer LO2 Feedline Support Bracket was missing anyway and the inner did not quite fit and was a bit too small, I've scratched both Support Brackets new. It should be noted, however, that both brackets look similar, but have not the same shape. The inner bracket is a bit lower,

because the Diagonal Cross Strut runs over it and needs the appropriate space, as onecan see on this image.

Source: NASA

Afterwards I've sanded off the two unnecessary wide rings at the end of the Feedline. As one can see here, I have to smooth the line around the stub yet, which has to be removed anyway after the tests and its hole must be filled too, because in reality there were neither the two rings nor this holder.

Last night I did not notice the nicks, but even all the more so in daylight.

These are the modified parts,

whose seat on the ET I've tried next. And as one can see, they fit quite well so far.

Now I'm going to modify the too short LH2 Feedline Support Brackets, and then it goes on with the tricky Cable Trays with all due respect.
But scaremongering does not apply!

Old 07-19-2019, 04:00 PM

Hello friends,

after I've taken a look at the LH2 Feedline again and comparing it with my Reference photos,

Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)

I have decided to remove the rings that are too narrow (0,5 mm) and to replace them with wider ones (1 mm), which are much better corresponding to the original.

No sooner said than done! But when I measured the stub then after grinding off the rings, its diameter was instead of 3 mm only 2,7 mm, which I did not like.

That's why I took a rod Ø 3 mm and bent it under hot air according to my proven Balsa-Bending-Technique.

But as it is sometimes, if one has not bent anything for a long time, this bending process did not go satisfactorily, because the lower balsa support behind the kink was too short, so that the kink of the rod was not bent exactly enough, but was slightly rounded as one will see.

I have taken this into account by a longer slope of the support and a more stable clamping of the rod, which has resulted in a more accurate bend,

what one can see in the following picture by comparing the two bended rods. Above it are already to see the 1 mm wide rings, which I have cut off from a tube with Ø 4 mm, which I have previously drilled out to 3 mm.

Then I have filed the new stub to the required length and drilled a hole for the guide pin (Ø 1,2 mm),

and glued it in place.

Here the two rings have been pushed onto the Feedline, which I will glue with MEK.

And so the new LH2 Feedline looks like after fitting,

which I like much better now.

And now I could also adjust the Feedline Brackets, which sit directly above the upper ring. But if one looks closely, one can still see a further ring directly below the Umbilical Plate.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (DaveS)
Old 07-19-2019, 04:01 PM

And this ring I have now also housed yet, as one can see in these two pictures, wherewith I now let it be good.

The odd little cutouts in this ring I prefer to avoid because the ring might not be able to bear it.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:32 PM

Hello everybody,
from two other Forums came the suggestion to try these cutouts in the upper ring, which egged me on a little bit, so I've thought of a solution that might work.

For this I will use my smallest round file, the front Ø 0,5 mm, and carefully try to file a few tiny grooves, which is actually vain effort, since one will not see them afterwards anyway ...

And above that is an Evergreen Strip (1 mm x 2 mm) with one of the two tiny Support Brackets for the LH2 Feedline.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:23 PM

Hello everybody,

but as I mean by this time, these recesses in the upper rings seem to be filled up conclusively with the appropriate TPS material, which is why it is unnecessary.

Furthermore the Support Brackets for the LH2 Feedline also look different and are also mounted differently than the brackets for the LO2 Feedline on the right side.

As can be seen from this image, the two LH2 Brackets are not rigidly connected to the crossbeam like the LO2 Brackets, but rather are slightly laterally movable by Hinge elements, which is said to allow unrestricted relative distortion between the rear ET and the orbiter.

More precise information about the shape of the outer LH2 Bracket is given by this drawing, from which I have also determined the dimensions, whereby I've used the width of the Airfix Crossbeam (2,7 mm) as reference measure.

Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. II (Lockheed Martin)

However, one has to keep in mind that this is the SLWT Handbook, i.e. this is how the Super Lightweight Tank (SLWT) looked like, which was used starting at the end of 1998, with some modifications in order to reduce weight in favor of larger payloads, compared to the Lightweight Tank (LWT) used for the first time at STS-6 (ET-8).

And as a further closer look at just this ET-8 shows, the inner bracket looks a bit different than my previous one,

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

which is why I've modified it a bit (right).

In order to finally fix the brackets and bond them with the Crossbeam, I put the Orbiter back on and fixed it with tape to see the exact distances and to adjust the brackets accordingly.

And in this position, the inner bracket was glued by using MEK with the Crossbeam and the LH2 Feedline.

And now to the preparation of the outer bracket, which is drawn slightly longer, to which later the two holders for the LH2 Cable Tray are glued, as can be seen from the drawing.

The front cable tray mount is nice to see in this photo, but whereby the two Umbilical photos in the capcomespace dossier are reversed unfortunately.

Source: capcomespace.net

This was followed by the fitting of the outer bracket,

and their cutback to the right length,

and finally their gluing with the crossbeam and the feedline with MEK.

Then I was able to remove the orbiter again and scrutinize from all sides the [color= blue]LH2 Feedline[/color], glued on the crossbeam.

And now I could either glue the LO2 Feedline Brackets or lay the LH2 Cable Tray on the front of the Crossbeam.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
If I need my daily dose of big 1 Cent coins I know where to go. You never disappoint, Mani! :D