PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-27-2020, 04:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
You too!
Old 10-27-2020, 11:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
I look forward to the illuminated crawler, and have no doubt you will create an effect just as impressive as the real thing.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Thanks Lex for looking in on me.

I hope so too.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 11-01-2020, 04:41 PM

Hello everybody,

now it's time to get in touch again.

After the analysis and inventory of the lamps on the crawler, I've thought with my friend Arno (McPhönix) behind the scenes about the placement of the electrics for the Crawler and MLP lighting.

And to do this, I first had to familiarize myself more closely with David Maier's Paper Kit and take a closer look at the structure of the crawler, which is based on a fixed substructure in a similar way like the structure of the MLP that time, long, long ago ...

Here one can see the floor plan for the construction of the Crawler support structure and underneath the corresponding principle sketch,

as well as my first idea for the placement of the three planned 9V Batteries.

It can be seen from this that some of the support elements planned would have to be dispensed with in order to create the necessary free space for the batteries.

Source: EDU-Craft Diversions (David Maier)

In principle, however, this should be feasible because in D. Maier's kit, in contrast to the ingenious Paper Kit (1/96) by Mischa Klement (MicroArtwork - Welcome), no internal spaces are provided, which is the construction much simpler and easier.

For comparison, here is a picture from the building report of a US friend in the Paper Modelers Forum (gene1772), who built this monster crawler out of around 11.000 parts.

Source: papermodelers.com/forum (gene1772)

And here his masterpiece can be seen in all its beauty.

Source: papermodelers.com/forum (gene1772)

A great help in further building the crawler is the building report of my friend Michael Knobloch (mk310149), who also built the crawler from the Maier-Paper Kit (1/144), is, exactly as it is provided in the kit, the pictures of which I will refer back to from time to time.

After some consideration, we came to this arrangement of the Electrics/Electronics, which is more favorable in terms of the division of the elements, for what the support walls (green) were modified.

In the meantime, my friend Arno has tinkered on the electronics and specified the circuit board, in which even a warning horn is provided.

Now I just have to find a convenient place for the exit of the connection cable to the MLP when the Crawler with the MLP is standing in front of the Flame Trench and its power supply is through the batteries of the crawler.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:42 PM

And now still a brief outlook ahead to the building of the Crawler, in which I will proceed similarly to the construction of the MLP and will scratch certain details, which David Maier has left out in his kit or only hinted at it through clever textures.

This concerns, among other things the Underbody of the crawler, on which the lower support structure is only indicated, as one can see here, onto which equipment such as tanks, silencers, filters etc., as well as the exhaust system are simply placed then.

Okay, now one could say that one can't see the sub-floor anyway, and there are certainly more interesting places on the crawler, but on the other hand, the support structure could be represented relatively easily using suitable profiles.

Source: papermodelers.com/forum (mk310149)

Instead, other places on the crawler such as the JEL Hydraulic system for lifting and lowering the MLP on the Pedestals are much more distinctive, but also much more difficult for implementation.

Source: NASA

And this tricky assembly is indicated in a typical way in David Maier's paper kit only by relatively robust structures with 2D textures, which may look pretty good when viewed from a distance, but up close one can see that this is only printed "wallpaper" is as one can see in this picture.

Then there are also some places with breakthroughs where there are provided only black areas in the kit, as one can see here. Strange is also that for the sake of simplicity, black color is provided in the interior in the front and rear open spaces, so that one cannot look into it.

Nothing against the Crawler and the other great paper models of my friend Michael Knobloch, who is a passionate paper modeler and a master of the nimble scissors, who is cherishing his hobby above all else.

Ultimately, in addition to the question of the effort one wants to make, it is all a matter of taste, about which everyone can judge differently, according to his taste.

So much for today my friends.

Old 11-06-2020, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
Nice progress with the crawler, Manfred!
I am happy if my construction report can help you!

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 11-06-2020, 03:18 PM

Thanks Michael for looking in on me,

your step by step building report is really a great help, especially since David Maier's construction manual is a bit sparse at times.
Individual assemblies like the JEL Hydraulic cylinders I'll try to build in a little more detail, for which the reports by Mischa Klement and gene1771 are very helpful.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:01 AM

Hello dear friends,

actually I wanted to leave it at the result of my previous inventory of the Crawler lighting.

But at one point I'm starting brooding again and again, so that I can't stop thinking about it, which is why I took a closer look at it once again.

It is a matter of this area at the underbody of the crawler, on which one can still see some circled lamps on/in front of the inside of the Trucks, which have not (yet) been taken into account in my previous count, the exact position of which is difficult to make out on my reference photo of the STS-28 (1989).

Source: flickr.com/photos/nasacommons

Since two of these lamps have already got my attention in the video of the STS-6 Rollout,

I've already done some more thorough research and actually found what I was looking for, namely at my friend Mischa Klement, whom I has inquired about the diameters of the crawler's tubular support struts.

On his homepage one can find under Support a very detailed and nicely illustrated construction manual, in which I, among other things, also came across this image, which immediately made my heart beat faster because there the construction is shown at this point, where the lamp can be seen in the video (circled in red).

Source: Mischa Klement (microartwork.com)

This is one of the two attachment points between which the Longitudinal Steering Cylinders of the truck steering are mounted, on the center of which there is also a lamp, as one can see in the following both images.

And those are the three lamps that one can see here again on the Crawler (Corner B), wherewith this last question would also be clarified.

This results in the following modified Crawler lighting, which contains 40 Lamps + 2 Beacons,

which are distributed onto the following 6 LED Circles:

Corner A to D: each 7 = 28
Side 1/Side 3: each 6 = 12

How good that my friend Arno (McPhönix) in wise foresight has again planned in his Electronics 6 circles with each 7 LEDs.

Last edited by spacerunner; 11-11-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:23 PM

Hello my friends,
today is a very special day for me, but probably nobody can figure out what might be, or can you?

Old 11-15-2020, 02:56 PM

Hello everybody,
I do not want to keep you in suspense any longer and let grope in the dark ...
To the day exactly today 9 years ago I started my report in our German Raumcon forum and in mid-2013 then also here in this forum, as one can see on page 1.

Long, long ago ...

And for it that many of you have been loyal to me since then, as well as for your feedback and the lively encouragement in good and bad times, I would like to thank you very much.
With this in mind, I can only hope that you will stay tuned and that we will have a lot of fun together yet.