PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 04-11-2021, 10:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,
now I only have to bite my teeth four times then the 8 Crawler chains would be done, so let's get to work!
So keep the scissors coming,

and get rid of the annoying set-bars. After that, the laborious deburring of the chain links was the next step again.

After the pair formation, the pre-drilling of the Pin Lugs followed, as usual,

and then the pinning the chain, alternating with pre-drilling the Pin lugs and occasionally deburring of bulky pins.

And with the 5th Chain I'm already over the worst,

and can slowly see light at the end of the tunnel ...

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 04-12-2021, 12:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.71 MB
Manfred,

who will be first? You with Launch Pad or Nasa with SLS Artemis mission? :D

Tracks are looking good!
Old 04-12-2021, 05:32 PM

If you mean Artememis 1 I'm afraid that NASA is going to win the race.

But regarding Artemis 2, 3 or 4 I possibly could have good chances ...

Old 04-12-2021, 05:33 PM

Hello everybody,

before I get to my day-to-day business, I would like to remind the beginning of the Shuttle missions and Columbia's launch to her maiden flight STS-1 with which NASA's legendary Shuttle program began today 40 years ago.

Source: NASA

And thus back to the present. Today was the turn of the 6th Crawler chain, of course (almost) again in the familiar and proven sequence of steps.

- Deburring of the Track shoes

- Pair formation and pre-drilling of the Pin Lugs

- Pinning the pairs (deburring of the pins)

For a change, I proceeded a little differently this time than before and have connected these pairs by building Groups of four,

which I've then connected to each other to Groups of 16,

from which in the last step finally the 6th Chain was formed.

So now it means to clench the teeth only still twice, to finally holding a complete set of 8 Chains in my hands.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:50 AM

Hello everybody,

today I'll report with a quickie regarding the 7th Chain.

- Deburring of the Track shoes

- Pinning the pairs

And so also the 7th Chain is already done, so that the last Pin-storeroom can be looted next.

In order that the finale of this fiddling chapter is finally around the corner.

Old 04-17-2021, 07:16 AM

Hello everybody,

it's managed! In the meantime, the 8th Crawler chain is finished and the Crawler is already almost Ready for Rollout!

So here is the short farewell to a certainly stressful and monotonous for everyone, but necessary chapter ...

With the pinned couples the final countdown was ushered in,

and then the time had finally come, and the 456 Track Shoes have become now to the 8 Crawler chains. And the 8 Pins for closing the chains are also left over.

Since the 16 Drive Sprockets are already finished, I will soon have to think about which parts of the trucks I will build from the Paper kit, or will scratch, or whether I should fall back for some tricky details to the 3D modeling skills of my friend Joe (crackerjazz) from the ARC Forums followed by 3D printing ...

Very helpful for this would also be the generous offer from Sascha1990 in his German Raumcon thread (Reply #14) NASA Crawler + LUT and Saturn V as 3D print of his monster crawler for making the 3D STL Files available for general use on his homepage. Unfortunately nothing has been seen of him since then, as well as that he has not yet responded to my recent request too ...

So let's see, time will tell!

Old 04-18-2021, 04:47 PM

Hello everybody,

now that the 8 Crawler chains are finished, I stowed them safely in a box so that they don't get dusty and nothing happens to them.

And now to a sad story, which is connected with the generous offer from Sascha1990 to share the 3D STL files of his Monster-Crawler in his much noticed thread NASA Crawler + LUT und Saturn V als 3D Druck as well as with the following radio silence of the master since then.

About the connections I have now received more information in the NSF forum (forum.nasaspaceflight.com).

Since I was quickly enthusiastic about his great project at the time and we were in a daily exchange of ideas, I had suggested him in a PM in autumn 2018, to post about also it in the NSF forum, whereupon he then had started a thread Crawler Transporter 1/48 3D-Print, in which he had announced his idea of a true-to-scale model of the NASA Triology (Crawler, LUT, Saturn V) in 1/48 what had aroused great interest there.

In it he had also announced that his 3D STL files for the 3D printing of the Crawler would be made available for general use, that he would then upload on Thingiverse what he has also done, as I've learned now from an NSF friend.

At the same time as printing and building his crawler, he had already started with the 3D modeling of the Launch Umbilical Tower (LUT).

In his post Reply #17 one could read that he had to remove his project on Thingiverse because some people attacked him very aggressively in private messages, which I was surprised about, but without having given it any further thought, because I couldn't do anything with this portal at the time.

But that was apparently the reason for his sudden disappearance, both in his German thread and in the NSF forum.

As I've found out from my US friend today, he actually made his Crawler 3D STL files available on Thingiverse at the time, but my friend hadn't downloaded them immediately because he was already looking for a 3D printer and nearly almost had bought one.

When he was on the platform again, he was horrified to see that the 3D files and their master had meanwhile been gone, after which he didn't show up ...

Here is the comment of my frustrated friend:

A lot of people were putting heavy pressure on him to share his LUT files as well, many were unkind ... You know how people can be ...
I can only imagine what some of those cretins were doing to him ...
Very sad ...

So the good-heartedness and unselfishness can be abused by such people ...
Let's see, maybe he'll get back at some point ...

Last edited by spacerunner; 04-18-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerunner View Post

And now to a sad story, which is connected with the generous offer from Sascha1990 to share the 3D STL files of his Monster-Crawler in his much noticed thread NASA Crawler + LUT und Saturn V als 3D Druck as well as with the following radio silence of the master since then.
Sorry I don't get fully (my bad...). You say that one guy have been modelling crawler an other guy was willing to produce parts but at the time hadn't 3D printer?

PS congratulations with finishing the chains!.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:04 AM

Sorry sharunas that I didn't express myself precisely enough.

Sascha1990 is the master of 3D modeling & printing, who had reported about his awesome project on it both in our German forum (raumfahrer.net) and in the NSF forum (nasaspaceflight.com) and generously made his 3D STL Files for printing available on Thingiverse. But some unkind guys were putting heavy pressure on him to share the LUT 3D files ...

And now to my NSF friend, who was also enthusiastic about Sascha's 3D Crawler and who has told me the whole tragedy. He also wanted to build such a crawler by using Sascha's 3D files for 3D printing. But he unfortunately didn't download the files immediately because he wanted to buy a 3D printer first. And when he wanted to download the 3D files they suddenly were gone on Thingiverse, because they were removed by Sacha1990 meanwhile ...

I hope that the fateful connections have now become clear.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:05 PM

I see now... Thanks for explaining Manfred.

Well it sometimes happens if "too good to be true things" are freely exposed for public...