PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 04-29-2022, 12:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
stunning and informative

Thank you
Old 04-29-2022, 01:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Thanks Kevin for your nice compliment,

then I'm satisfied.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 04-30-2022, 04:49 PM

Hello everybody,

today, exceptionally just a short statement - so to speak, as a Word for Sunday.

Unfortunately, I had to bury my hopes for the planned Sheet Styrene version today, because the printout of the prepared parts on the thin Evergreen Plastic Foil was a complete flop.

Maybe that would work with a Laser printer, but certainly not with my Inkjet printer, because the color doesn't dry sufficiently and smudges with every touch.

So I will use normal paper for the cladding of the Canister, then it fits better with the Transporter anyway, that's Trial & Error!

And with that a good jump into the merry month of May.

Old 05-04-2022, 11:20 AM

Hello everybody,

let's continue, and thus full concentration on the cladding of the Balsa shell with the side walls incl. Payload Bay Doors made of paper, wherefore I had to rethink something.

Somehow I had to give the curved doors more support before gluing and make sure that they couldn't buckle anywhere that would then be impossible to correct.

That's why I first increased the two Balsa side walls (H = 20 mm) by gluing on Balsa strips (2 mm),

resulting in a adhesive edge for the door shell.

Then I've thought that, for reasons of rigidity of this shell, it would be useful and also safer to use a Supporting roof of Styrene (0,13 mm), which would then provide sufficient support and stability when gluing the paper doors.

So I've immediately looked for a suitable core (Ø approx. 35 mm) for the Thermal curvature of the door cover, for which a kitchen roll aluminum foil has offered itself,

onto which I glued the Styrene sheet.

Since the usual hot air gun did not seem suitable for evenly heating the sheet, I filled my kettle without further ado, heated the water strongly and dived the roll with the shell for a while in the hope that the curvature would set in, just like in my hitherto always successful Balsa bending tests of various plastic profiles at the SSWS.

But things never turn out the way you expect ... To my surprise, the Styrene strip then relaxed back to its original shape, contrary to expectations, as if nothing had happened.

I had to let this disappointment sink in first and had to further modify my solution in order to be able to glue the door cover.

Since adhesive surfaces on the sides of the curves of the inner support walls would certainly be helpful for this, I've bent two arcs of an Evergreen strip (0,75 mm x 1 mm) using my Hot air gun and my Balsa bending technique.

Old 05-04-2022, 11:26 AM

And as one can see, Evergreen Sheet Styrene and Evergreen Strip Styrene cannot be the same material. Apparently Evergreen Sheet Styrene, in contrast to the Strips, is a Duroplast that doesn't mind heat at all, which is why it retains its original shape.

I then glued these arcs onto the support walls, and also still Evergreen angles (1,5 mm x 1,5 mm) on the side walls.

And since this stubborn door roof cannot be glue in one step, I have to proceed step by step and initially only glued one side to the angle, fixed it accordingly and let it dry.

However, since the strip was not yet completely glued in the middle,

I've brushed it once again with Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) both on the outside and on the inside of the angle and glued it additionally.

But now I'm pondering how best to glue the rest of the part ...

With normal Plastic glue this will not work which would take time to set, so this method is ruled out.

That's why the only thing that remains is to glue it with CA, although I'm considering first dabbing only half the curve of the three support walls with CA and then to pull the cover sheet across the curves and to hold it briefly, which should be enough to tie it off. Maybe a bit tricky matter, but what might work.

Then the other half could follow.

Old 05-04-2022, 04:49 PM

Hello everybody,
and that's exactly how I did it, and I can anticipate the result right away, it actually worked.

After the first half of the Door sheet was glued onto the additional support arcs of the inner support walls with CA and also has kept,

came the other half's turn, which I first held with great care and then has clamped once again to be on the safe side.

And that's how I imagined the result, with which I'm very satisfied.

Now the transitions can be smoothed out a bit and then the pre-bulged Paper roof of the Doors can be glued in peace,

and then all the remaining sides.

Old 05-08-2022, 04:47 PM

Hello friends,

but I can't get started with the cladding of the Balsa shell quite that quickly, because, as always, the correct and appropriate order is important, which I have to consider, so that the next steps cannot be hindered. Strength lies in calmness!

That's why I thought it thoroughly again and came up with the following order.

First, I'm going to cladd up the larger and smaller "ears" on the inside of the Forward and Aft Bulkheads. These are only tiny areas, but they first have to be glued before I can glue on the door cover.

Therefore, next I've determined the lower contours for these small snippets by using a Support wall and have drawn them on Sheet Styrene (0,13 mm ), which I've split beforehand because of the easier handling when gluing.

But since the foil is shiny, it wouldn't match the dull paper of the rest of the side panels, which is why I dulled it beforehand with Tamiya Sanding Sponge Sheet 2000.

Then I've glued the halves with CA on the inside of the Forward Bulkhead and trimmed off the protruding parts,

first on the left inner side,

and then on the right inner side.

The same procedure then followed on the Aft Bulkhead.

Next I've cut out the Styrene strips (2 mm) for the top sides' curves of the Forward and Aft Bulkheads,

which can now be adjusted and then glued step by step.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
This is so incredible and mind-blowing that I sometimes do not know what to say. I had no idea that there were payload containers! The sheer dimensions of those things is mind-blowing. It is like a big house being moved in one piece. WOW!
Old 05-09-2022, 03:06 PM

Hi Marcell,

and then you have to remember that Clean room conditions had to prevail in the Canister during the entire transport, like in a Hi-Tech Research laboratory, until the transfer of the payload into the Payload Changeout Room (PCR) of the RSS, in which clean room conditions also prevailed, until the payload was then finally transferred into the Payload Bay of the Orbiter, of course also under Clean room conditions.

Old 05-14-2022, 02:24 PM

Hello everybody,

after the tricky little "ears" were cut back, the strips could be glued with the UHU-CA, first one half of the rounding so that something could be corrected, and then the other half, which also worked quite well.

Both strips were then smoothly sanded at the edges.

Then the Front and Back were to be papered, initially using UHU Spray adhesive. But either the glue wasn't mixed thoroughly after it hadn't been used for a long time or it was too old, in any case I wasn't satisfied with the result because the paper was stained, which didn't go away even after drying.

That's why I went back to my previous technique and spread a corresponding area of glue from the UHU-Nimble Bottle onto a piece of paper, briefly placed the front side cover on it and then glued it onto the front. It is important that one must hit the right position as quickly and precisely as possible, since the wetted paper can only be corrected for a short time.

And this is what the Forward Bulkhead looks like, which is quite impressive.

Don't worry, the front shouldn't remain so bare, of course, especially since the all-round papering of the canister is only the Compulsory exercise, so to speak, and the Voluntary exercise with a number of details still will follow.

Here's already a little foretaste of the ladders and railings etc. that I'm looking forward to.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Ares67, STS-9)

And the Back (Aft Bulkhead) with the Spike outline was papered in the same way.

But before I turn to this Spike, I first wanted to paper the bottom of the canister, which I was a bit scared about because of the size.

So that the gluing could go as quickly as possible, I carefully clamped the canister in a handy slanted position on the edge of the table. Then I quickly coated the previously marked area on the sheet of paper with glue, put the floor cover on briefly, then quickly removed it again,

and immediately applied to the bottom with pinpoint accuracy, so that it only had to be readjusted slightly.

Then I've cut the four small Horizontal Transportation Support Plates from Styrene (0,3 mm) for the bottom,

and glued them on.