PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-11-2023, 03:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

for the sake of completeness, I would like to briefly state my two questions and Wendy's answers.

1st Question:

"What were your feelings when you had been selected as a crew member for the Return to Flight Mission STS-114, given the tragic Columbia disaster two years earlier?

She analogously replied that on the one hand she was fully aware of the importance of this test mission after the Columbia disaster, but on the other hand she felt very honored to have been selected for this very important mission.

My second question, which may have been a bit delicate for a NASA astronaut, caused a murmur in the room ...

2nd Question:

"What do you know about Area 51, Complex S-4 and the UFO Crash in Roswell 1947, the year I was born in Germany?"

And that was her answer.

"Nothin’ (laughs). I’ve never been to Area 51, not a question I can really answer, although I do think that it’s interesting now that there’s been some attention devoted to UNEXPLAINED AERIAL PHENOMENA - UAP, that’s what it’s called by the government right now.
Have I, did I see anything during my Shuttle missions? NO. I know of people who, flying in high altitudes, saw some things they couldn’t explain, so, there is no harm in doing that research trying to figure out what it is, what people had seen there."

She at least tried to answer honestly, for which I thanked her.

After the round of questions one could have a photo taken with her in front of the Astrovan and receive an autograph with a dedication on her mission photo, which I was very happy about.

All in all, a successful conclusion after the interesting Explore Tour on my last day at the KSC, at the end of a fantastic and eventful Florida trip, which I will remember for a long time.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 11-16-2023, 06:00 PM

Hello friends,

indeed, it was a fantastic vacation and the discovering of the KSC Visitor Complex step by step during my Mission STS-2023 was a complete success, more than I ever expected or dreamed of.

The support from my friends Mike Robel and his family, Pad 39B old hand James MacLaren and Richard Chamberlain was great, I couldn't have asked for better tour guides.

Mike Robel and his wife, visiting the Canaveral National Seashore with me.

James MacLaren and Mike Robel, on the way back after watching the overwhelming Psyche Mission Launch.

Richard Chamberlain and me next to the front section of a B-52 in the War Bird Museum in Titusville.

And here are a few snapshots from the KSC Visitor Complex. Of course, a photo of me in front of the NASA Meatball right at the entrance should not be missing from the photo collection.

An awesome view from the spectacular Helicopter Ride,

and during the KSC Explore Tour.

At the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB),

near Launch Pad 39-A,

at the beginning of the Orbiter Access Arm (OAA),

with the White Room.

Visiting the Atlantis hall with greetings from her majesty.

Old 11-16-2023, 06:00 PM

The legendary Shuttle fleet.

Last not least some new pictures for my Filder Space Center Gallery.

Maybe I also should write a travel report.

Old 11-17-2023, 11:21 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Manfred,
It was fun to read about your visit to Florida.
Your excitement can be seen in all your pictures.
You are a great “ambassador” for Papermodelers.com.
Mike
Old 11-17-2023, 12:57 PM

Thanks Mike for your nice compliments,

I always have to think back to the great time, the memory of being live at the historical sites and objects of US Space flight is totally overwhelming.

Nevertheless, I have to and want to come back to my craft table soon in order to go on.

Old 11-19-2023, 02:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB

Mani, this is a dream come true! I'm so glad that you were able to do the trip and meet so many great people!

This trip must have been a lifetime experience. I think you would have stayed "a little" (as in, MUCH!) longer if you had had the chance. I would have spent weeks for research, taking measurements and taking a bazillion of pictures.

Great reply from her to question #2. LOL! I can imagine how surprised she was.

You definitely have to contact NASA and send them pictures of your model once it is finished and a link to a build report so that they can really appreciate the hard work and dedication that has gone into this project.
Old 11-19-2023, 05:19 PM

Marcell for your kind and appreciative words for my work.

You hit the nail and that's why it's clear to me that it won't be the last time I've visited the KSC, especially since I'm interested closer in many details than was previously possible.

The mere fact that my two friends Mike and James have seen it all, including launches, dozens of times and may have surprised my curiosity and obsession with taking photos and making videos more than thrilled them, has noticeably limited my resting time for observation of special places and details, what has become even clearer to me in retrospect.

And as a model maker, I see everything anyway through a slightly different lens than the more or less interested "KSC tourist", which you, as a long-time follower of my long-term project, can understand better than others regarding my special attention to details.

BTW, I've also been posting my construction report on forum.nasaspaceflight.com for years, and their admin Chris Bergin already has an eye on me.

Old 11-23-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerunner View Post
And as a model maker, I see everything anyway through a slightly different lens than the more or less interested "KSC tourist", which you, as a long-time follower of my long-term project, can understand better than others regarding my special attention to details.
YES - YES - YES - YES - YES!!! I know excatly what you mean!!!
When I see something interesting I immediately think, how can you build it, and start breaking the item up into segments and parts in my mind.

My latest project was a retirement present for my boss. I decided to build a model of the care center we are working at and I spent months gathering data, collecting measurements and reference material. I did not strive for absolute accuracy but the final result had the desired impact. I have attached some pictures for your viewing pleasure (scale is about 1/144).
Attached Thumbnails
Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)-1.jpg   Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)-4.jpg   Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)-img_20231031_121441a.jpg   Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)-img_20231031_125553.jpg   Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)-img_20231031_133736a.jpg  

Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)-img_20231025_181917.jpg   Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)-img_20231030_175541.jpg   Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)-13.jpg   Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)-9.jpg   Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)-img_20231029_181151.jpg  

Old 11-24-2023, 06:36 PM

Hi Marcell,
great project, but unfortunately I have problems with opening your images.

Old 11-29-2023, 11:00 AM

That is strange. I uploaded them to the forum. They open fine for me. Maybe if you try a different browser?