PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-12-2021, 05:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Thanks Becky and stay tuned.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 09-15-2021, 03:14 PM

Hello everybody,

the parcel from Holland got there faster than I thought, and of course it was opened immediately. And already the first glance through the two bags onto the Combos looked very promising and pleasantly surprised me.

And even after unpacking I was very impressed by the sight,

whereupon I took a closer look, here first a Combo-R,

as well as here a Pair (R/L) lying next to each other,

and here in the installation position in the Truck.

Now all 16 Combos that are required for the Crawler have been completed, which was made possible by the spontaneous helpfulness of my ARC friend Pascal (bubble) went faster than I could have imagined.

Nevertheless, I then took a closer look, and here is the comparison with the last printed Combo Pair (XSFDP) which was printed in the best print orientation, the contours of which unfortunately cannot be recognized better, due to SW's well-known Print look.

Therefore, for a better comparison, here is a larger macro shot in the installation position,

and here still with a look at my Scratch prototype, which looks a bit more filigree in some details like the stiffening struts because I made them from Styrene (0,15 mm), which corresponds to the paper thickness used in the Paper Kit (MicroArtwork), but what cannot be realized in 3D printing due to the minimal wall thicknesses > 0,3 mm, as requested by SW.

On this point, Paper modeling is plain and simple superior to 3D printing, what my friend Joe (crackerjazz) honestly admitted right at the beginning of our modeling efforts.

Before I go into a few more details (i. a. painting) of the Resin Combos and the quality of the last SW prints, I would like to underline in a first résumé that I can imagine the Crawler with these Resin combos very well and that I presumably can save the printing of further SW-Combo-Pairs by SW.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Mind-blowing! I love the comparison shots!!!
Old 09-16-2021, 05:38 PM

Thanks Marcell for your compliments and stay tuned, it's worth it, the journey continues ...

Old 09-23-2021, 05:43 AM

Hello everybody,

today in a follow-up I would like to take another look at the Priming of the Resin combos, because on closer inspection I noticed certain differences in quality.

In the unprimed state immediately after printing, the details of the combos were still clearly pronounced, as one can see here.

Source: arcforums.com (bubble)

Then my friend Pascal (bubble) allegedly gave them a thin layer of a gray primer with MoTip Primer (04054) from a spray can.

The following comparison makes it easy to see the different layer thickness of the primer. While the details come out relatively well with the left combo, with the right combo they are quite heavily covered by the primer, which doesn't look that great, but is still quite acceptable.

I had already observed similar results myself when priming/painting models from the spray can and have since been rather skeptical about this method of applying paint, as the amount of paint cannot be dosed evenly and finely enough and the risk of leveling details is relatively high.

On the other hand, these problems can be largely avoided when using good Airbrush equipment, in which the paint application can be dosed much more finely.

Nonetheless, I can use the Resin combos for my Crawler with a clear conscience, as I can choose in which places on the trucks I install the 'less good' combos, especially since they in the installed state can hardly be seen between the trucks anyway and then also only the upper sides of the combos with the Propel motors.

Old 10-13-2021, 01:36 PM

Dear friends,

in weeks of painful grief I want to try to slowly come to my senses and bring myself to continue working on my project ...

For this purpose I took the last printed Gearbox-Pair (XSFDP) from Shapeways and examined it once again more closely, because in retrospect I noticed some things that are not entirely plausible to me and do not really want to please.

In order to minimize the wax residues remaining despite Shapeways' cleaning after printing, we had let print this pair in the best possible print orientation (standing upright), which we had been previously recognized,

Source: ARC Forums (crackerjazz)

which has the following support wax arrangement.

At first glance, the Combos (XSFDP) look clean on the outside, only there are wax residues in the inner cavities of the gear case and on the underside of the motor, which, however, are not so important for the later priming/painting, because one can hardly see these areas in the installed state anyway.

However, clearly visible longitudinal grooves on the surfaces are noticeable, which I cannot explain to myself due to the selected print orientation, which is why I asked Shapeways for a statement.
These grooves are clearly felt and have after all a distance/width of approx. 0,4 mm.

These two SW Combos I have now tried to clean so that they can then be primed and compared with the Resin combos, which I'll use for the crawler.

This time the cleaning was not done in the dental laboratory but by using my small Ultrasonic cleaning device,

based on the conditions proposed by BANDELIN at that time by using TICKOPUR R 60.

Source: bandelin.com

Since my US bath has no heating, I filled the trough with 50°C hot water and added 20% TICKOPUR.

But since the Combos swam up and didn't want to sink,

I've held them down with tweezers and cleaned them approx. 2 h by turning over several times at intervals of 10 minutes.

Then they were rinsed in water, dipped briefly in 2-Propanol and dried under the hair dryer.

As one can see, the cleaning time of 2 h is not enough to completely remove the wax residues out of the inner cavities, but which is no longer important to me.

Both on the underside of the engine, as can be seen here,

as well as inside the case there are still considerable wax residues.

So I want to leave it at that for now and will now prime both combos in this state and also my scratched prototype in order to be able to compare them with the primed Resin combos.

Old 10-15-2021, 08:42 AM

Hello everybody,

in response to my complaint about the grooves, Shapeways has sent the following statement:

Hey Manfred,

Let's start off by saying sorry! We work hard to make sure you are 100% satisfied with your purchase. Unfortunately sometimes we mess up.
To make sure you are completely satisfied we just placed a new order for you at no charge.

Your new order will ship by: 2021-10-25

Well then, let's wait and see the new MotorGearboxCombo-Pair in Smoothest Fine Detail Plastic (XSFDP), I'm curious.

Old 10-15-2021, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
They're a class act to be sure! And just to sure there's no mistake, here's Merriam-Webster's definition:
Definition of class act

: an example of outstanding quality or prestige
Old 10-21-2021, 05:04 PM

Thanks Becky, here we go.

Hello everybody,

Shapeways has delivered the day before yesterday, so here are a few images of the new MotorGearboxCombo-Pair (XSFDP).

Here at first the new pair, on which one can already see with a little good will that the grooves are still there, but seem to be a little less distinct.

And here once again the complained previous pair with the clearly distinct grooves.

In order to be able to recognize differences, one has to look carefully and also pay attention to a favorable incidence of light.

On this zoomed direct comparison one can see the differences better and it is easy to see that the grooves are weaker distinct but still present.

Therefore I came to the realization that Shapeways besides the well-known annoying wax problem still has problems with the print quality, which is why I'm able to live without further efforts and will use the Resin combos with a clear conscience.

Old 11-15-2021, 07:08 PM

Hello dear friends,

today is a memorable day for me, because on 15th November 2011 I did present the first post about my STS-6 Long-term Project in the German Raumcon forum.

In the mid of 2013 I started reporting on my project here in the PM Forum.

On the day of my 10th Anniversary I feel reminded of the time and the accompanying circumstances with a smile and a little melancholy, and in retrospect I have to say that at the time I was not sure what I was getting into with it and how long I would probably spend with it.

Therefore, at this point, I would like to take a brief look back at the genesis of the project, what you don't know so far, and hopefully will be interesting to you too.

Initially I followed the construction report from a friend (inselaner) in the then still existing Scaleworld Forum with interest, who has reported there about his Launch pad Project with Atlantis STS-135 that more and more pulled me under its spell, fascinated and ultimately really infected me to start a similar project.

A hurdle was initially the legendary old Revell Space Shuttle Launch Tower Kit 4911 used by him, which had been out of stock for a long time and could only occasionally be purchased by auction at ebay for horrific prices.

Source: ANDROMEDA24.DE

This kit of course I would have liked to have had it as a start-up aid, but only from where take it, if not steal ...

But then by a happy coincidence and thanks to my good contacts to the shop owners of ANDROMEDA24.DE I came across one of these coveted Revell kits (4911), which I got thanks to their good contacts overseas (180 €), which laid the foundation for my project in August 2011.

At the same time, I already had bought David Maier's Paper Kits for the Mobile Launcher Platform (MLP) and the Crawler Transporter (CT) and got started building the MLP.

After starting my project at Scaleworld, I had planned to report on it in the Raumcon forum too. However, at the beginning I had serious reservations because their Model building Thread at that time was not structured according to topics and therefore hardly manageable, a hodgepodge of different contributions and opinions on it in a disordered monster XXXL thread which made reading along and correspondence not exactly easy.

And already because of that, some members were held back from presenting their own projects , especially since it was no different for me at the time. That's why my first project contributions were initially just an attempt to initiate the discussion without wanting to compete as a lateral entrant.

My suggestions for revising the forum structure, initially discussed with the Space flight admin via PM, apparently also fell on fertile ground of the other admins and were then implemented in painstaking detailed work, whereupon one could present his project in special subject areas and let discuss it, which was a big step forward and quickly became very popular.

To my surprise, a friend of mine created the following diagram of Views and Replies in the Raumcon forum, where the 900.000 barrier has now been broken.

Source: forum.raumfahrer.net (Hugo)

I have to admit that with large-scale projects like this, it is not easy to remain committed and focused on the ball and not let tear down, because otherwise it becomes more and more difficult to come back and move on.

I managed to do this quite well over the years, even though I had to cope with a few blows in the neck and emergency operations ... But then the feedback from the forum and encouraging words of you were always helpful in order to gain new strength and keep motivation high.

Also the close relationship between our two Launch Pad projects has always inspired and spurred me on, and the mutual exchange of ideas was a real stimulus for both sides.

Inspired by my STS-6 project, from 2015 to 2017 my friend Thomas (golgi863), who unfortunately passed away much too early, presented his Launch Complex project with Discovery (STS-41D), with whom I had a close and very intensive contact, from which we both benefited.

In the meantime I have worked on all important areas of the Launch Complex 39A up to the diorama, so that I would actually have to modify my project title accordingly.

Also in the other forums in which I post, guys have often asked me where I would get the strength and stamina for this mammoth task. But in the meantime my daily work has become a real passion, especially since my extensive research has given me new insights and interesting insights into this ingenious space technology that I would never want to be without.

Even if my level has not been 100% lately due to family circumstances, I still try to overcome this hard time and be able to motivate myself again.
I would like to take this opportunity to express my thanks for the continued interest in my work and the many helpful contributions and expressions of opinion.