PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-03-2022, 10:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Doing my check in to see what progress has been made. Amazing as usual.
Old 06-04-2022, 12:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Thanks whulsey for looking in on me again,
well, the handling of these tiny parts is already quite stressful, but I'll keep hanging in there and biting me through, even if it is sometimes difficult.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 06-11-2022, 06:20 PM

Hello everybody,

as I have now discovered with horror, my NASA photos, which I've mostly linked to the Hi-Res. photos, are unfortunately no longer accessible, as the extremely helpful NASA Media archive is no longer updated and maintained by NASA, as one could read there until recently.

Source: NASA

The first part of the reference to flickr.com is correct indeed, but the search options there are quite spartan and a search for special content is like looking for a needle in a haystack, which one can forget.

The second part of the reference is simply Fake News because the site is no longer accessible.

This is all the more deplorable because I analyzed many details for my work and measured them for scratching this way, especially by zooming these photos.

So don't be surprised if the high resolutions of these photos are no longer found and an error message appears.

And so now back to the Vertical Transportation Support Plates & Clevises on top of the Transporter, their scratch building turns out to be quite a tough nut to crack, since these multi-part brackets are in fact more difficult and are a lot more complicated than those support plates for the horizontal transport.

Since the four Transportation Tie-down Lug Plates on the Aft Bulkhead of the canister

Source: NASA (STS-132)

must fit into the screwed-on Hold-down Clevises on these transport plates,

Source: retrospaceimages.com (STS-6)

Source: NASA (STS-135)

I have to think about the best way to build these mounts.

In this image one can see very nicely all the dismantled individual parts of these mounts. These are the Base plates with the screwed on Receiving blocks (red circles) for the dismantled Hold-down Clevises (red arrows), and stop holder (blue circles) for guiding the canister when setting it down onto the transporter.

At first I thought of making the hold-down clevises individually and inserting them into the recesses of the receiving blocks, but what would probably be too much of a good thing.
It should be easier if I scratch the receiving blocks and hold-down clevises as a unit, which is worth trying.

Old 06-13-2022, 05:52 AM

Hello everybody,

since the matter has not left me in peace, I have researched intensively again and now I know the innovations and connections around the former NASA media archive, which no longer exists as such.

There was a similar confusion years ago after a change in NASA photo archiving along the lines of: Now and then some quite a novelty ... when the old URLs (www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov) were no longer found, but what I managed to figure it out.

Instead, one now has to search the NASA Image and Video Library website, e.g. after the year abbreviation of the NASA photo number, if you know it.

The search on https://images.nasa.gov/ nach 2010-2664

resulted in the photo I know of the STS-132, here in the Medium resolution (856x1280), which I've linked with the Original resolution (2008x3000).

Even better, however, is the content search which I once tested for the Payload Canister Transporter that is of interest to me now, after which this gallery was displayed to me, which immediately offers an overview of the available photos, from which one can then select and directly access the photo of interest and download the desired resolution.

And in this overview, along with many other well-known photos, I noticed this red framed photo (KSC-08pd3303) of the STS-126, which was not in my collection so far, where one has a good direct view of the transporter and the support plates in this position, which is particularly important for measuring details, since oblique perspectives are distorted always.

And of course I used that immediately to be able to determine the dimensions of the larger of the two Support plates for the Vertical transport more precisely, what one can see here, since I've linked this image section again with the Original resolution.

Source: images.nasa.gov/

The image also clearly shows the effort I have to put in to determine the dimensions of such small details that I need for their scratch-building.

And so there are certainly more photos with interesting perspectives that will help me with the construction of these transport plates.

Old 06-16-2022, 07:00 AM

Hello my friends,

but that's only half the battle firstly since the depths or widths of the Support plates and Hold-down Clevises are still missing, which is why I still have to look for and find other detail photos, which is still a tedious work, but unfortunately not to be avoided if one takes it as seriously as I do.

And that's why I was glad that I came across this photo from the STS-126 on the new NASA website, which presents a pretty direct side view of the canister, without major perspective distortion, from which, in addition to the details, one can also determine the distance between the Support plates, which in turn is important for the installation of the plates on the transporter.

Source: NASA (STS-126)

In addition to this larger of the two support and hold-down plates measured in the last post, I also measured the smaller support plate in the same photo.

However, the difficulty in researching suitable photos for determining the dimensions of the plates for Vertical transportation is that there are far fewer photos with the canister standing upright, and that at such photos the important details of the support plates are mostly hidden by the red ECS hoses.

But in this photo I was able to at least analyze more closely the arrangement of the larger plate near the Payload Bay Door and of the Clevis, in which one can also determine the sizes of the lateral Stoppers that are only mounted in this vertical arrangement.

Source: NASA (STS-122)

And then I finally found this photo from the STS-114, on which one can finally see the lateral arrangement of the support parts at least a little bit.

Source: NASA (STS-114)

And that's enough of the stressful eye torture for today.

Later I want to turn to the Vertical Transportation Tie-down Lug Plates on the Aft Bulkhead of the canister and try to make a first prototype scratch.

With approx. 0,5 mm x 2,5 mm x 2,5 mm they should become relatively small and have to fit into the gap of the Hold-down Clevises.

Old 06-16-2022, 03:35 PM

Hello everybody,

then let's go to the prototype of the small Vertical Transportation Tie-down Lug Plates.

If you look closely, you can see on this photo from the STS-130 that the Hold-down plates consist of three parts (have a look at the zoom on the right edge of the photo), a middle part with a narrow lower extension and two slightly smaller welded-on side parts to stabilize the opening without this extension.

Source: NASA (STS-130)

While I used Styrene (0,2 mm) for the side parts, the middle part seemed a little narrower to me at first, so I used Styrene (0,13 mm ). However, in the zoom of this shot it looks as if the three parts are of equal thickness, which is why I will then use Styrene (0,2 mm) uniformly.

Since it is difficult to cut out this narrow strip without perhaps cutting it off, I first made the two side parts and drilled the holes with Ø 0,5 mm.

Then I glued a side part to the center strip, have drilled through it too,

and then glued the other side part to its back.

Then I cut out the curve of the middle stripe and rounded it off and only then carefully separated the remaining stripe up to the lower extension, which I actually managed to do, even though it's only 0,5 mm wide.

In this configuration, the thickness of the Hold-down plate is approx. 0,5 mm.

And at this point of the canister, this first of four plates will later be glued.

For scratch-building the Support plates, I first marked the exact positions of the Hold-down plates on the floor plan of the transporter,

whereby I first realized how small all will be,

if you imagine that for the Support plates with the Hold-down clevises only approx. 1,5 mm space is available under the canister.

But I'm going to take it easy now and first look at the resulting sizes of the individual parts, then we'll see.

Therefore keep cool, scaremongering shall not be considered!

Old 06-30-2022, 06:13 AM

Hello everybody,
as a well-known old saying goes ... Don't put the cart before the horse! A realization that has now cost me some time, what could have been avoided with more concentration.

As has already been emphasized several times, when determining dimensions from photos, it is particularly important to have reliable reference dimensions, to which all measurements are then related and have to be converted in my scale (1:160).

However, when I compared the determined dimensions of the floor plates of both transportation plates with my floor plan of the transporter and the outline of the payload canister, I noticed that the proportions can't be right, especially since the floor panels were obviously a few millimeters too large, which made me suspicious, especially since the distance between the two Vertical Transportation Tie-down Lug Plates

according to NASA's drawing is only 15,5 mm (1:160).

At some point an error must have crept in, but whom I quickly tracked it down.

A partial result of my first measurements was based, among other things, on this photo with the determined dimensions of the parts of the larger transport plate, whose length of the floor plate therefore should be 10,5 mm (red).

In retrospect, in this image I recognized my mistake in using the side wall height (7,5 mm) determined before the construction of the transporter as a reference measurement, which I then used for a while without thinking, for determination of lengths in other photos, which were falsified as a result.

I had noticed this source of error a longer time ago and then paid attention to it, but unfortunately not this time. In addition, the use of photos from different perspectives can result in further inaccuracies.

Using the almost exact side view and measurement of the plate in the following photo resulted in a value of 8,5 mm for the length of the floor plate, although I also added the side wall height (7,5 mm) had used.

Source: NASA (STS-122)

Late, but not too late, I came to my senses and then made the only right decision for determining the lengths by using the center-to-center distance of the Tie-down Lug Plates as a reference dimension (15,5 mm), according to which the length of the larger floor plate is 7,0 mm, with the help of which the other length dimensions were determined.

With these dimensions I then tried to draw the arrangement of the parts on this floor plate on a 1:160 scale, which I have already described in the following image.

On it one can nicely see all the individual parts of the larger transportation support plate. This is the floor plate (blue) with the Clevis brackets (red) screwed on to accommodate the disassembled Hold-down clevis (brown), the PLC support plate (green) behind it, as well as the two stop holders (yellow) for guiding the canister when setting down onto the transporter.

Since I was not able for free-style drawing with a ruler even with a Fineliner (0,05 mm) due to the small size of the individual parts, I gave it up.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:15 AM

Instead, I came up with the idea and tried it in MS Word. To do this, I used the Insert shapes mode to arrange small rectangles of the appropriate size with the finest line thickness as contours of the parts and gaps on the floor plate, which was a bit tedious, but after some practice it worked very well and gave an exact picture of both plates.

I then printed them out, although one can be shocked when one can see how small everything will become.

Since the arrangement of the plate parts on the other side has to be laterally reversed, I also printed it out on transparent paper (right) and therefore only have to turn it over.

And this is what the two larger Transportation support plates look like.

So at least the arrangement of the individual parts on the floor plate is clear, but now I also need the heights of the parts in order to be able to scratch them.

And I will now determine those again using the height of the side wall (7,5 mm) as a reference, whereby I have to be careful, because they were sometimes incorrectly determined from reference lengths in various photos.

And with a table full of dimensioned photos, one can start to skid and lose track.

Therefore a cool head as well as highest concentration are required!

Last edited by spacerunner; 06-30-2022 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:52 PM

Hello everybody,

I was just still talking about highest concentration!

It's hard to believe, but true, although I've looked at these photos felt 1000 times, and know that the two stop holders are beveled,

Source: NASA (STS-114)

I've just noticed that I haven't drawn these bevels yet, which of course I made up for immediately.

But at the latest when scratching, I would definitely have stumbled over it.

Old 07-01-2022, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerunner View Post
Hello everybody,

as I have now discovered with horror, my NASA photos, which I've mostly linked to the Hi-Res. photos, are unfortunately no longer accessible, as the extremely helpful NASA Media archive is no longer updated and maintained by NASA, as one could read there until recently.

The first part of the reference to flickr.com is correct indeed, but the search options there are quite spartan and a search for special content is like looking for a needle in a haystack, which one can forget.

The second part of the reference is simply Fake News because the site is no longer accessible.

This is all the more deplorable because I analyzed many details for my work and measured them for scratching this way, especially by zooming these photos.

So don't be surprised if the high resolutions of these photos are no longer found and an error message appears.
This is exactly the reason why I NEVER rely on the availability of online resources. I always save reference pictures and entire threads to my personal archive on a hard drive. Those infos are too precious and should not get lost. Sure it requires some work to save the files but it is worth it. I urge everyone to do the same. If you find something interesting - grab it immediately!