PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-17-2014, 12:24 AM

Location: I live in Johanensburg South Africa, the real Gangsters Paradise!
Total Downloaded: 40.11 MB
Hey Gideon

I use AI5 to do all my designs so it would be interesting to see it the cutting works. Do you needs the files in svg to test it out?
Old 10-17-2014, 08:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I would be interested to know how the Cricut would work for cutting out paper models. My niece has one and I'm sure she'd let me use it...
There are a few caveats here, as always when trying to do something new.

First, most Cricut machines can only cut specific shapes that are purchased on cartridges. The new Cricut Explore (just came out this year I believe) is their first machine as far as I know that's able to cut anything that you can upload to their software.

Second, and this is the biggest problem: Even with the Cricut Explore they currently have a prohibitively small restriction of the size of a "Print then Cut" project. In the current version of the software, it can only "Print then Cut" up to 6.5" x 8", so not even a full sheet of letter paper. They do say they hope to fix that in the next release, but I don't know when that will be out. Still, I've made some progress already.

Using PDF files I've been experimenting with printing and then cutting individual parts. I can open Greelt's original PDF files in Adobe Illustrator and then export them both as vectors and as very high resolution bitmaps.

As vectors, when imported into the Cricut Design Space, each shape that was part of the original drawing becomes a separate item, and they are all set to "cut" by default. This makes for a very laborious process of sorting the parts and then flattening them and setting them to "Print then Cut." When I export a high-res bitmap and upload that, the Design Space software actually analyzes that image and traces the outlines of each shape and sets those to "cut" while leaving the rest set to "print" which is perfect.

So, with all that ready, all that remains is to actually print and cut a few samples... I should be able to do that this weekend, and will report back on how accurate the cuts are.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:59 PM

I printed the first page of the F-1 parts, sized down to 5.5"x8" so that it would fit the CriCut's restriction. The cuts are absolutely perfect. Spot on where they should be. This was using a high-res .bmp which the CriCut Design Space software "traced" to identify where to cut. With some work... the original .PDF files properly organized and flattened in Illustrator and output as a .svg could both cut and score everywhere necessary.

The print quality doesn't look too great, to be expected on my home printer and using the CriCut software to resize rather than doing it externally.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 50.69 MB
That is awesome! I am impressed! I'm pretty sure my niece's unit is not the Explore, but I will probably do some research on this. Thanks for sharing!
Last Build - 1:48 F1 Engine
Current Build - Mammoth Tank (Scale unknown)
Next Build - P-3 Orion (VQ-1 livery)
Old 10-22-2014, 12:41 AM

You GUYS! I'm so glad I checked back in on 1/48 paper Saturn V status! Between legal updating a cohesive design and now circuit cutting machines my mind is blown! Can't WAIT to see a full 1/48 scale Saturn V rocket made to imitate Greelt's detail. This just made my week ;-)
Old 10-22-2014, 09:25 AM

Just a quick update, Rocky and I are working our way up and down the design adding and test building the design with just a few tweaks for parts that don't quite fit or need to be added and it should be a done deal.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
My only constructive problems are with the S-II stage.One is the verticle dotted line,there is only one on this stage.Second I will have to MacGyver feed lines for the J-2s.And third is the lack of a heat shield for the J-2 cluster.Minor problems I will admit,but thought I would bring it to your attention.The S-IVB I decided to go with the TVC-15 Apollo 8 stage.Like they say the devils in the details.Also maybe U-Dons LM could be modified to fit this beast as well.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:13 AM

Hey Eagle, saw the S-II error already and it has been changed already. Rocky picked up an error on the shield at the top of S-II and that has been changed as well. Feed lines for the J-2 engines have been designed for S-II and have been test built and will be released in the next update of the model. There will also be feed lines for the S-III engine, still being deigned and tested. Not too sure what heat shield for the J-2 Cluster you are referring to so some reference pics will help!.

Also the S-IVB and TVC-15, no idea what they are and there will be a LM included in more detail in future designs, not quite at UHU's detail but allot more than what is available.

Just a few more tweaks and the updated S-II and S-II will be released shortly!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Legal; my friend ,ask and you shall recieve.I have several add on's about the heat shield in question.I hope these help.The TVC-15 was the site I ordered several years ago from the Apollonia paper model museum,out of Japan.They had an S-IVB third stage kit in 1/48th scale,dont know if its still avilable.
Attached Thumbnails
Saturn V - 1/48-7006-01-53c-202-24-65.jpg   Saturn V - 1/48-saturnapollo_lwo_thumbnail15_jpge45fd8f8-ef83-4634-96bf-af375e6ab9aalarger.jpg  

Tags
1/48, greelt, saturn v, ton