PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-15-2015, 09:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 589.27 MB
Need LEM Shroud Colored

I bet there are some artists out there that could do wonders for this drawing! I'm a logic guy - lines and numbers. Colors make me sick . Here's a LEM Shroud for a Saturn V - Want to use it on Greelt's 1:48 model (rescaled to 1:70), but will be placing a LEM on the inside, and want the shroud detailed as well.

I'm new here, and am not sure how to get this to the right person in the full sized format. I bet someone knows how to do that too.

Thanks!

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Need LEM Shroud Colored-lemshroudsm.jpg   Need LEM Shroud Colored-as07-03-1538sm.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-15-2015, 11:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
I'll need this for my 1:72 build, too. If I get to it before someone else does, I'll share it here.
Current builds: Mirco Firefly Serenity 1:96, Saturn V 1:72
ADD victims: WM Columbia 1:100, AXM Atlas V 1:300, OBP Spruce Goose, Uhu02 X-Wing... and many others
Old 09-15-2015, 12:14 PM

Dabeer,
I have been taking measurements on the Greelt model. It seems to be at 1:46, not 1:48. Not super-significant, but if you're planning on building the LUT and Crawler, you will want umbilical arms to line up. Just an FYI, since you're scaling it down like me.
Bob
Old 09-15-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdt85 View Post
Dabeer,
I have been taking measurements on the Greelt model. It seems to be at 1:46, not 1:48. Not super-significant, but if you're planning on building the LUT and Crawler, you will want umbilical arms to line up. Just an FYI, since you're scaling it down like me.
Bob
That's definitely good to know, thanks for the heads-up. And yes, I was ultimately hoping to build the EduCraft LUT and Crawler to match.

Unfortunately it means I need to redo a lot of work, but better now at the printing stage than later at the final finishing touches stage!

Edit: Out of curiosity, what measurements are you taking to get 1:46? Just as a sanity check, if you use the diameter of the former disks, 212mm, and the actual diameter of the Saturn V, 10.1m, the ratio is 1:47.6 - pretty close.
ADD victims: WM Columbia 1:100, AXM Atlas V 1:300, OBP Spruce Goose, Uhu02 X-Wing... and many others
Old 09-15-2015, 12:41 PM

I was measuring diameters, circumferences, lengths of all stages and inter-stages. The average that I got out of all the measurements was about 1:46.5 - as you said, pretty close, but I'm depending on it being right to match up with those umbilical arms.
Google Adsense
Old 09-15-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I was measuring diameters, circumferences, lengths of all stages and inter-stages. The average that I got out of all the measurements was about 1:46.5 - as you said, pretty close, but I'm depending on it being right to match up with those umbilical arms.
You have your LUT on hand to measure it, to make sure it's also an accurate 1:70, I hope? I don't have the 1:72 LUT yet.

I may have to just build it at my existing 66.667%, and just hope for the best.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:06 PM

Just to clarify, I converted the pdf's to jpegs, and am editing/scaling them in paint.net. I can put my cursor on a point and get an x/y value in hundredths of an inch. I plugged these numbers into a spreadsheet that calculated the distance of the points from each other, and then divided the real Saturn V measurements by the number I got above. That yields the scale.

Through all of the jpegs, the scale was consistent, so I know that it was right. For me, it made a difference of multiplying everything by .67 instead of .69.

Bob
Old 09-15-2015, 01:09 PM

I wish I had the LUT already. It's been ordered. I've got the original drawings of the LUT, so should be able to verify measurements, but my head is swimming at the thought. I don't want to rescale this thing again, and I want to get to work on it.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:16 PM

BTW, I know this is getting off-topic, but I wanted to know. I built the 1:48 F1 engine - that's what got this whole project started for me. How difficult was it building the F1 at 1:72? Did you use paper throughout - there are a few small tubes...

Thx
Old 09-15-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Just to clarify, I converted the pdf's to jpegs, and am editing/scaling them in paint.net. I can put my cursor on a point and get an x/y value in hundredths of an inch. I plugged these numbers into a spreadsheet that calculated the distance of the points from each other, and then divided the real Saturn V measurements by the number I got above. That yields the scale.

Through all of the jpegs, the scale was consistent, so I know that it was right. For me, it made a difference of multiplying everything by .67 instead of .69.

Bob
Quote:
I wish I had the LUT already. It's been ordered. I've got the original drawings of the LUT, so should be able to verify measurements, but my head is swimming at the thought. I don't want to rescale this thing again, and I want to get to work on it.
I'm doing my rescaling/repainting in Inkscape, which gives measurements in whatever units you want, down to 1/1000 millimeters. Obviously I won't be able to measure so precisely once it's printed, but based on the tools I have my printouts are accurate to scale.

I'll have to check all the height measurements and see how close I get to your numbers. Based on your 1:46.5, I'd need to scale by 65.8% instead of 66.7%, but based only on the diameter of the first stage, I'd need to scale by 64.6%.

It seems to me that to match the LUT, heights will matter much, much more than diameters, so I will definitely be checking those later.
Google Adsense