PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
I knew that resin and plastic models were expensive but $100?......feeling dizzy......<passes out>
Old 12-08-2015, 06:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 343.62 MB
@Elliott: Did a quick check on evil-bay. The Resin Anigrand 1/72 M2-F2 is still $30.00 - $34.00, the p*****c X-24-A/B Mach-2 kit is between $11.00 on evil-bay to $70.00 on Oakridge, nothing found on the OOP Eagles Talon kits (I paid around $10.00 apiece, but sure that they go for much more nowadays). Furthermore, the Collect-Aire kits of the 1/48 M2F2/3 is now going for $300.00 where the 1/48 X-24B is now $250.00 plus s/h extra. No mention of the Collect-Aire HL-10 or the X-24A pricing, but would imagine that they are in the same range.

This is why I find paper models so appealing.

Mike
Old 12-08-2015, 07:31 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
<passes out again>
Old 12-08-2015, 07:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
<passes put beside Elliott>
Old 12-08-2015, 09:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Plastic and resin prices are going through the roof anymore. Figure you average old AMT or Revell car kit that used to retail at 2 bucks, that the reissues of them are retailing in the 25-30 dollar range now. Some of the resin/photoetch kits are close to 300 dollars now.
Google Adsense
Old 12-08-2015, 10:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I know. There are some models I wanna design, but I need to see the actual plane to get a grasp on how to do it. When I can't get to the real thing, I get a plastic model. Some models are so pricey, that I have to take a pass on it.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
Many thanks for the links. looks like there are a lot of X planes coming together. Will be great to make these and develope some of the more obscure x planes/rockets.

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Old 12-09-2015, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.03 GB
I'd be delighted to build any or all of these lifting bodies. I have always been fascinated by them. Of course, such builds will probably snowball into a B-52 carrier aircraft, interchangeable carriage pylons, renewed hunt for metallic paper, etc., but I'd be willing to have a go at any kits someone would care to design.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Plastic and resin prices are going through the roof anymore. Figure you average old AMT or Revell car kit that used to retail at 2 bucks, that the reissues of them are retailing in the 25-30 dollar range now. Some of the resin/photoetch kits are close to 300 dollars now.
Your observations show that you're younger than I -- septuagenarian status begins very soon. In my own plastic youth, common kit brands were Revell, Monogram, Lindberg, and Aurora -- and once in a while, the exotic Airfix brand, all the way from Britain. A 1/72nd-scale fighter kit cost 50 cents; larger planes in the same scale cost a dollar or so.

The strangest part of the huge price increases you report is that what used to be an inexpensive hobby for kids is now a specialty hobby for wealthy men. Perhaps this means an opportunity to explain about paper models any time we hear a youngster complain about the high price of plastic.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
You'd think that with the drop in oil prices, you'd see a drop in the price of plastic and resin kits since they are petrochemical products. Then again, nothing ever gets cheaper.

As far as today's youth taking up card modeling, that would be a great thing. I fear though -- and not to generalize or stereotype -- the hobby requires too much patience for them. We have raised a generation or two that has little patience. Hobbies aren't about instant gratification. I know there are some talented youngsters who have taken up the hobby, but it's not like in my youth when every boy in the street would run down to the dime store and buy an Aurora Me-109 or P-51 or Spitfire to build.

And now this grumpy old man has to go outside and tell the kids to get off his lawn....
Google Adsense

Tags
hl-10, lifting, m2-f3, bodies, m2-f2, versions, instructions, carl, glad, research, hewitts, surfduke, larger-scale, references, cool, takers, model, les, voice, www.voiceofauthority.net, authority, design, easier, subjects, work