PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 04-08-2010, 05:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Phobos-Grunt looks great! I've been on a Mars kick lately, too, so I've been in the middle of bouncing between the Viking lander and everything else I've been building -- I like to run about five models at once.
I don't blame you for using a ping pong ball. That's what I'm going to do as well. I've built that sphere a couple of times for two Venus lander scratchbuilds, though, and it looks beautiful, but it takes me a few days to get through it with something that ends up spherical.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
boctok-1 Display

So, I found some graphics for scale and added a few more antennae (what 'ya gonna do?). It goes to a good home tonight.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-boctok-1_display.jpg

Yogi
Old 04-09-2010, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
And for all of us who like to build, but don't have a lot of display room (lots of books already fill the shelves and then there's she who does not dust such things) I offer a solution.

Got to be a school, library, or other organization in your area that could use a display of your models in their work. It also works the models hard - these get a lot of looks every day - and even more when the lobby fills before a planetarium show. IPMS it ain't, but then I don't think I'd place well at a show anyway.

Yogi (functional and recognizable, but not artistic)
That is an excellent idea. Thank you.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Hey Yogi. Would you be so kind as to tell me what paper weight you used to build the complex model of the Cassini please? This is my first model and it is nice to see the finished model here. Did you do overlapping joints with the dishes or did you butt joint them? After doing a butt joint on the high gain antenna (HGA) I decided I don't like them. lol Makes the card way too bulky and awkward. I am in the process of learning to butt joint now on my first model. lol

Thanks for your help.
Jim

Quote:
JPL's complex Cassini model was sort of complex - but not in terms of detail. Fortunately, there's plenty of information available to add instrument and other detail (so I did). Filled out the flat panels that should have been boxes, extended the magnetometer boom to full length, did 3-D for the tanks, and of course filled out the instruments.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.77 MB
Nice work! The Piper Cub looks great in particular!
Google Adsense
Old 04-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks, G.

Jim,
I did the complex NASA model of Cassini in 65lb card (often called cover stock). Card stock, 110# should work as well but is tough on my printer. I used the tabs designed in the plans, so the dish antenna and cylinders overlap at the seam. When assembling cylinders and long conics, I use a "round thing" inside as a mandrel to give me something to work against and keep the seams aligned. Once the glue tacks, I use a stiff metal rod like a rolling pin to squash the seam against the mandrel to make the seam less obvious.
The key to making conics, or cylinders, is to preform the part. For a cylinder you just roll it carefully around a mandrel (round thing like dowels, PVC pipe, whatever's in the garage) - taking care not to crease the card. For conics, set them on the palm of you hand and roll a narrow dowel gently around the part, keeping it pointed at the "center" of the curve. It's easier than it sounds, try a few strips of card and watch them magically form the curve.
I think I included some better building detail in the Venus Magellan build thread here Magellan Venus - designing and building the old-fashioned way . Magellan is available here and at the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center.

Yogi
Old 04-16-2010, 08:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Thanks again Yogi. I am about 2/3 way through my build and it is coming along fine. With my limited building I see parts I am going to reprint and do over. I appreciate your information and the link to the Venus spacecraft that I will check out also. I like the idea about rolling over overlapping joins. Sort of like thinning out the paper. I will give that a go also. Looks like I need to get some more bits and pieces to help with creating domes and stuff.

Oh! I bought some gold leaf and was very surprised how cheap it was. 25 sheets of 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches for $9.00. I really thought it was going to be more than that. I am going to try and gold lead the Huygens Probe Shield as well.

Cheers and catch up with you in the forums.
Jim
Old 04-17-2010, 01:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.50 MB
Hi Yogi,
a large collection, varied and well-organized.
All models, well made and attractive.
However you have a small museum of the conquest of space. Congratulations.

Orazio
Old 04-17-2010, 02:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
Quote:
So, I found some graphics for scale and added a few more antennae (what 'ya gonna do?). It goes to a good home tonight.

Attachment 42437

Yogi
Yogi, it looks lik a funny modeled paper clip holder :D:D:D
gotta try that one one day, just gotta finish.... (you know)
Old 04-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Eternal Member

National Lighthouse Day??

Well, whatever the reason a local modeller will be manning a display at the Pensacola Lighthouse (big, black, brick) on Pensacola NAS tomorrow (Sat). So, thought I'd drop by and leave him some gifts.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-alkipointlh.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-capehatteraslh.jpg

FG of course.

Yogi
Google Adsense